“standard room not up to the standard of the rest of the resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

You added Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   4330 Island Highway South, Courtenay, British Columbia V9N 9R9, Canada   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Courtenay
“standard room not up to the standard of the rest of the resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

If you are going to indulge in the world class food (expect to spend easily $70 per person for dinner) and the world class spa facilities then go all the way and book a premium room. The standard room is probably dating from the original hotel... hard bed, old tv, small bathroom.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Natasha R, Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your review Djangofan2007. We are very proud to offer exquisite food in our Breakwater restaurant and amazing services offered in our Pacific Mist Spa and Hydropath. Our Oceanview Rooms are currently undergoing renovations as they are in need of upgrades. Our Beachfront Suites have had a complete renovation and definitely meet the same standards of our restaurant and spa facilities.

We hope to welcome you back soon to enjoy our cuisine and spa services and hope to offer you an upgrade our our Beachfront Suites to ensure your experience is exceptional.

Thank you again for your comments. All the best,
Natasha Richardson
Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I've been here twice and both times we enjoyed it very much. It was so relaxing and I loved the hydro path! It's so cool to experience all the different water pressures and I enjoyed the eucalyptus steam room the most. You must stay and have their Sunday breakfast buffet! It's outstanding!

• Stayed January 2013
Merritt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I just had the most relaxing weekend with my family at the Kingfisher Resort and Spa. We had a recently upgraded 1 bedroom room right down on the water. Each morning we enjoyed our in-room coffee looking out at the coastal mountains, and watching the sea lions, eagles and seagulls catch herring. It was a real treat to watch our young son hunting for crab on the beach and experiencing the wildlife.
Our first day at the Kingfisher my husband went golfing and I visited the resort's spa for an eyelash tint and facial. The entire spa experience, from the pool and steam cave to the friendly staff, was so relaxing. I found myself daydreaming of what treatments I will to book for our next visit (hint to my husband)!
The next day we explored the beach, swam in the pool, relaxed by the gas fireplace and sat out on our private patio. Although we originally booked our stay for just two nights, we were having such a nice time the second day, we decided to extend our stay an extra night.
We enjoyed four meals at the newly revamped Breakwater Restaurant, which serves the best waffles I have ever had. The menu also offers great seafood entrees and delicious desserts.
In short, we had a wonderful island experience at the Kingfisher and definitely hope to stay there again soon. Thank you to all the staff who made our visit one to remember.

Room Tip: The Oceanside rooms are definitely the way to go if you are looking for a true island experience. Ho...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review Tanis W. I am thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful experience during your recent visit at the Kingfisher Resort & Spa. We truly do have a gem in this stunning location on the Island. We work very hard to ensure our standards match this beautiful location so every guest enjoys a visit with us that far exceeds their expectations.

Thank you again for your comments Tanis W and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Kingfisher very soon.

All the best,
Natasha Richardson
Parksville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to make the Kingfisher Resort and Spa our Valentine's Day treat. We booked an overnight stay, hydropath, dinner at the Breakwater Restaurant and a yoga class for the next morning.

We booked an Oceanview room and when we arrived, were happy to see that our unit was one that had been upgraded, as we had stayed in this type of room before. New carpet, bathroom fixtures and decor greeted us.

Since we had a 6:30 hydropath reservation, that was our first stop. From the moment we entered the building until we left 1 1/2 hours later, we felt pampered. All staff were friendly and helpful. We were glowing when we left the spa.

As with our room, the restaurant was also renovated and renamed, "Breakwater". The service was spectacular, and the menu, although small, contained locally sourced food choices and was exquisitely prepared and presented. We loved the unrushed and quality dining experience.

We slept well in the comfortable bed, had an energizing yoga class in the Starfish Studio, and enjoyed a bit of shopping in the lobby gift shop before we left, restored and relaxed.

So happy we have a place like the Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa an hour's drive from home!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Did a girlfriend getaway last Thursday and a wonderful time. We stayed in one of the 1 bedroom Orca Suites on the bottom floor and had a beautiful view of the waves crashing in on the beach. The suite was fully stocked and included a kitchenette with a small stove top and freezer/fridge, gas fireplace. Note: I had brought along a HDMI cable to watch movies and the TVs in the suite did not have HDMI ports. Also the wireless never did work.Not on my IPhone or my laptop. Our package included a Hydrapath Spa Treatment and a $30 voucher towards meals. The Hydrapath was really enjoyable and the spa was clean and well staffed. We also used the outdoor pool and Jacuzzi.We decided to stay in for dinner and were not disappointed with the quality of our dinner. Delish! And nicely plated.We also ordered our Breakfast in and I must say that I had the best Vegy Eggs Benny I have ever had! One thing to note would be that since the price was the same for both of us, it would of been more equitable if it had been a 2 bedroom suite, since one of us slept on the murphy bed in the living room. All in all a wonderful time was had at the Kingfisher!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

There are plenty of great weekend get-aways on the Island - try Middle beach Lodge, Poets Cove, Point No Point etc - Forget about Kingfisher - it's time has come and gone, and unless there is new management - We won't be back.

I got so tired of hearing apologies and excuses for poor service and facilities for the two nights my friends and I were staying here. First let me state that I had been here before seven years ago and it was great - However, nothing has been updated since and it is looking very shabby and unkempt - considering the prices, this is inexcusable -
- When I booked I was told one price for the weekend - three days later I was told another price of $200.00 more - That's quite a difference
- There was a well established nest of large black spiders under one of the beds -
- There was a broken glass under a bed
- Kitchen was not well stocked with knives and one of the electric outlets didn't work
- There is an ice machine listed in their room guides - it broke down a while ago and the books haven't been updated.
- There is black mold on the ceiling of the pool changing rooms
- Landscaping has been neglected.
- I was told on check out that the manager understood our concerns and wanted to discuss them with me - six days later - she hasn't bothered to call, so I have no other option but to post this review.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review Amelia1956. I am very sorry to hear that you stay with us was not up to your expectations. I would personally like to speak with you regarding your stay, and invite you to contact me directly at the resort at 1-800-663-7929, please ask for Natasha Richardson.

I hope I have a chance to speak with you soon.

All the best,
Natsha
Squamish, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The Kingfisher is a gem! I stayed at the resort for 2 days on business but combined it with pleasure as I went to the spa as well.
I can not tell you how impressed I was with the guest service and how helpful and accommodating the staff were. The front desk staff were exceptional.
I booked the hydro path and it was fantastic and the spa associate who guided us through was adorable.
I would recommend to anyone and will plan on staying again when next in the Comox Valley.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!