“Great course” 4 of 5 stars

250-489-1282
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Opened in 2011 Wildstone Golf Course is the first Black Knight Course by Gary Player Design to be built on Canadian soil. This incredibly well conditioned and player friendly course is set on the rolling highlands above the city of Cranbrook, BC where hole after hole golfers are treated to stunning postcard views of the Canadian Rockies.The course plays from 7,127 yards from the back tees and 4,947 from the front. The attention to detail in the design of the course is obvious. Generous landing areas from the variety of five tee boxes, closely mown green surrounds that allow for a variety of of short game options, well placed white sand bunkers and elegantly contoured greens that put a premium on approach shot accuracy are just some of the reasons that the course has received a 4.5 Star Golf Experience rating.Design: Black Knight Course by Gary Player Design Opened: 2011Par: 72 (37 Out, 35 In)Greens: A4/T1 Bentgrass Fairways: Kentucky Bluegrass.
Vancouver Island, BC
11 attraction reviews
“Great course”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Excellent design and conditioning. Loved the views of Fisher peak from many holes. Too bad the clubhouse facilities are a little lacking, but I was there for the golf and I wasn't let down at all.

Visited August 2013
Chris A, General Manager at Wildstone Golf Course, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
It's great to hear that you appreciated the Rocky Mountain views and the golf course design at Wildstone. The clubhouse facility that we currently use is a temporary facility for our pro shop, restaurant and deck and we look forward to building a clubhouse that compliments the course in the future.
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review.

Tsawwassen, Canada
“Excellent golf course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

It's a really beautiful course, in excellent condition, with fabulous views. Nothing is easy, nothing is ridiculously hard, and everything about it is interesting and enjoyable to play. And the price was very reasonable!

Visited August 2013
Chris A, General Manager at Wildstone Golf Course, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at Wildstone. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed the course and really appreciate your positive remarks, I'll be sure to pass them along to our team.

Best regards,
Chris A
Calgary, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Unfortunate Golf Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I played this course on July 9, 2013. When we arrived at the course, we were notified that the greens had been aerated the previous day. The attendant told us that we should have been contacted by someone to inform us that this was occurring. Unfortunately, that had not happened. After the round, I went to the course website to see if an aeration schedule was posted online, but I could not find anything.

To make things even more frustrating, we also found out that we might have to play the back nine twice in a row, as the maintenance crew might not be able to remove the top dressing from the front nine in time. Also, the putting green was closed because of the aeration.

We had to pay the full green fee.

If I had been told in advance that the course was being aerated, I might have to play the same nine twice, and I would still have to pay the full green fee, I would have adjusted my tee time. One option would have been to walk away, but since our golfing group was from out of town, rescheduling wasn’t an option. As it turns out, the groundskeepers were able to clean up the greens after our first nine, so we were able to play the other nine holes.

I understand courses need to aerate their greens and I have minimal issue playing on them as long as:
- I am made aware that the course is aerating prior to arrival
- I get to play all 18 holes
- I receive a discount on the green fee

When we arrived at the range facility, the pro was in the process of conducting lessons to a group of about 8 young golfers who were taking up almost all of the available range stalls. Again, I have no issue with group lessons, and I’m excited to get young people involved in the game, but perhaps they could move the lesson to a different part of the range so players with tee times don’t have to wait to hit warm up balls. The range is certainly big enough to do so.

The only pleasant surprise of the day was that the slope of the course should have been much higher than the posted 117 from the blue tees. I love tough courses and this one was much harder than other courses in the area. I would guess that the actual slope should be closer to 130. The 18th hole is a 495 yard par 4 from the blue tees. That is an excellent challenge!

Overall however, I was highly disappointed in the experience at Wildstone.

Pros
- Course difficulty was higher than posted

Cons
- Poor aeration experience
- Crowded driving range
- Practice balls not included in green fee

Visited July 2013
Chris A, General Manager at Wildstone Golf Course, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Very sorry to hear that your experience was so poor and that you were surprised by the aeration being done. Unfortunately aeration is a must to ensure quality conditions throughout the season but we do try to let everyone know that it's being done. I've taken the steps to ensure that the message is given to all guests via telephone and updated the online booking channel to give an aeration message and rate.
We use a 3/8" tine and roll the greens right after to get them as smooth as possible and we give everyone free Pro V1's during aeration.
As for the course rating we've requested a re-rate by the BCGA because I agree that the slope rating is too low.
I hope that you'll come back to play Wildstone, it's normally in fantastic condition and is one of the best values in the area.
Whitecourt
29 attraction reviews
“Favorite course in Cranbrook”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We played Wildstone at the start and finish of our golf trip to Couer d'Alene.
Love the Gary Player design. NIce wide fairways and the traps all seem to be in the right places. Large greens with lots of undulations. They are sometimes hard to read but the speed seems to be just right. Every hole has something different.
We played in early June and the course was in great shape.
Has a small clubhouse with limited menu.

Visited June 2013
Chris A, General Manager at Wildstone Golf Course, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you very much for the great review of Wildstone! It's great to hear that you enjoyed the course and appreciated the overall design. Putts have a tendency to break towards the Rocky Mountains...hope this helps for your next visit.

Hope to see you again!
Hinton, Canada
33 attraction reviews
“Great Place for Back to Back Rounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

36 Holes on a stormy day. Course was well maintained. Greens were moderate speed and in awesome shape. Fairway conditions were perfect. Ensure you pickup their guide book for some of the holes have layups and hazards. Staff were awesome. Small clubhouse with limited menu. Proshop is small but well stocked. Definitely return to this course.

Visited May 2013
Chris A, General Manager at Wildstone Golf Course, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We sure appreciate your great review of Wildstone, thank you. I'll pass along your comments to our staff, they'll love to hear that the conditions were perfect and that you were impressed. We're starting to get more back to back rounds as avid golfers enjoy the exceptional value.
Hope to see you again in the future.