“Very disappointing......” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Palliser Lodge

You added Palliser Lodge to your Saves list
Palliser Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   1420 Palliser Lodge Trail, Golden, British Columbia V0A 1H0, Canada   |
Ranked #27 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Golden
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Very disappointing......”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We booked one bedroom condo at Palliser Lodge for 8 nights. After spending 2 nights in it we inquired about upgrading to two bedroom with the private hot tub. We were able to move the same day for 5 nights and advised that we had to be back at our original condo for the remaining night. Everything seemed to be "locking in", we moved the rooms quickly, enjoyed our hot tub, only to find out the next day that it was broken!! We were told we have an option to move again and as much as it was inconvenient having to pack our luggage, we did it! We were assured that our new condo will be on the same floor as the original one bedroom, so we wouldn't have to use the elevator! The day before our departure my husband walked over to the reception at Glacier Lodge ( no reception at Palliser) to pick up the key to our original one bedroom condo so we could move, again!!! The speed of the reception employees and the way they operate the computer is worse then of a snail! After waiting for at least 15 min, he was told that our original condo is no longer available and we have to move to a different floor! After hearing the news I picked up the phone and demanded what we were promised and finally we were offered a condo on the same floor. I couldn't understand why we had to go through all this...calling back an forth, wasting our time? Unfortunately we were not offered any explanation.
We've been on many ski trips before, travelled all over the world to find the best ski conditions and accommodation. We've done extensive research and Kicking Horse was highly recommended by our friends. Unfortunately this was by far the worst trip we've ever been on! The mountains and skiing were nice, but the experience at the lodge will prevent us from ever coming back! To top it all up, we were "accidentally" overcharged for our stay!!! We had received our credit card statement with additional charges even though our final receipt showed
the remaining balance as zero!! We were told the rates for the room had changed!? I would have been nice to notify the guests of any changes before their departure!!
Overall, its a nice lodge, but it lacks of customer service and satisfaction! Poor management!

Room Tip: Stay away from this one!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback from your stay with us at Palliser Lodge. I’m very sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t as exceptional as we would have hoped. I’m glad you had the opportunity to speak with a member of our leadership team on Thursday and got everything sorted out. Once again I am very sorry for the troubles you had with the rooms along with the rate discrepancy but I am happy that we were able to make it right after all following the phone conversation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fernie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Some girlfriends and I spent a weekend away at Palliser Lodge. We booked two rooms which both had hot tubs. The rooms were very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The ski conditions were pretty good. We ate at corks restaurant one night and it was amazing! This was my second time at Kicking Horse but first time staying at Palliser. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will be returning next season.

Room Tip: Ask about a room with a private hot tub
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for the excellent review from your stay at Palliser Lodge. I’m glad you and your friends had had a great time and got in some good skiing while you were here. The Hot Tub units are defiantly popular and a great amenity to have after a day on the hill. Once again thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to hosting you again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Overall the hotel room was very comfortable and clean, but there was just enough annoyances over our stay that made me not as happy as I could've been.

The ski storage area is just ski racks, not lockers as other hotels provide. It would've been nice to be provided with a ski lock to secure our skis as we are not allowed to take our skis upstairs. As we had recently just bought a brand new set of skis we were not thrilled with leaving them there unlocked so we just left them in our car.

Our microwave was broken, the start/stop button was totally busted. It took us a good 5-10 minutes to discover the issue as some microwaves aren't the easiest to use. When I called the front desk the lady that answered told me it's a common issue with the microwaves, and she did get someone to come over very quickly to replace it (although I was drunk and hungry and the 15 minute wait felt like hours). The service was great regarding the issue, just unfortunate the issue occurred at all.

The lifts in the building are horrific. If you happen to move in the lift as the doors are closing they get stuck (that's what we think the issue was, otherwise it randomly gets stuck). The doors take FOREVER to close once you get in. So much pushing of the close button does nothing.

To top off our stay, at 9:45am on our last day housekeeping knocked on our door, I asked 'Yes?' and was ignored. She then proceeded to attempt to enter our room (luckily we had locked our door from the inside) and she tried this for a good 2 minutes. As we weren't completely dressed we were a bit bothered by this! Eventually we got dressed and up to find out what she wanted. She seemed a bit annoyed that we were still there and reminded us that check out was 11am - pretty rude considering we still had over an hour to leave. We couldn't find any 'Do Not Disturb' signs to put up on our door, but noticed a review that mentioned they had one... ours must've been missing!

I brought these issues to the attention of the front desk on check out, and must say that the lady I spoke with was so lovely about it. If it wasn't for these couple of issues we would most definitely consider coming back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your review from your stay with us. I’m very sorry to hear that your trip wasn’t the most memorable one. With regards to the ski locker room area and ski locks for Palliser Lodge, they are stand-alone racks that fit both skis and snowboards. Upon check-in we issue guests locks so they can safely secure their belongings. I will follow up with our Team to ensure all guests are getting locks. I’m glad our Maintenance staff was able to get your microwave replaced in a reasonable amount of time. I can understand how that can be an inconvenience. Our Housekeeping Team are to enter the units after 11:00AM or earlier should the guest have checked out. I will follow up with the Team so we can prevent this mistake from happening again. I appreciate your feedback and will use as a learning experience for our Team so we can avoid such issues. I hope we can regain your trust in our services and host you again – Should you return and book direct with Bellstar Hotels & Resorts please ask about our Return Guest Rate for additional savings.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Overall the accommodations were very nice and clean...room was large as well, including a balcony and chairs and a full-length sliding glass door. Staff was friendly and respected our "do not disturb" signs that we left on the door for the duration of the stay. Heated underground parking. Ski slopes end right at the lodge itself. Have to say everything was great except for a few downsides.

1. I booked a room for me and my girlfriend with a king size bed. However when we got there, we soon found out we had a room with two twin beds that were pushed together with a king sized sheet. We even had 2 sets of king size blankets overlapping on the makeshift "king" bed. Needless the say the two mattresses had a nice habit of drifting apart, so there was always a few inches of gap between them. Not the best king sized bed.

2. The TV was really small. If I had to guess, it was a 19" simulated flat screen tv (ie a standard bubble tube designed to look flat). I hadn't seen a TV like this in probably over 5 years. To be fair, we didn't spend much time watching TV, but still...would be nice to have something a little clearer, newer, and bigger in a room that was very well appointed otherwise.

3. The stalls in the heated underground parking are tight! Beware pickup truck and SUV drivers...especially diesels.

Room Tip: Make sure you specifically ask for a real king size bed if that's what you want.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your candid review from your stay at Palliser Lodge. I’m happy to hear that you generally enjoyed your stay along with the surrounding amenities. With all our king rooms at the Palliser they are a split-king. We do place a converter pad on the split beds to help prevent any discomforts. I have also taken notes regarding the TV’s and will make sure that’s gets communicated through to the appropriate channels. Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you back out soon.
Brandon, Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This was my 2nd visit and my wife's 1st. We stayed on the 4th floor in room 404 facing the ski hill. The biggest attraction to us was the private hot tub. The location was quiet at night which suited us just fine. The rooms were just the right side and the beds felt more comfortable than my first visit. Like many other reviews have mentioned, the tv's could use an upgrade, it would make the units look more modern and enable them to get more space by removing the tv stand in the living room. We ate breakfast and lunch in our room and ate supper out. We would stay here again, although my wife was not a fan of how icy it was trying to ski in and walk out of the entrance/exit. The free wifi was great so we could Skype the kids every day!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent visit to Palliser Lodge with the Trip Advisor community. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your suite along with the great amenities such as your own private hot tub – You defiantly cannot beat a nice soak after a long day on the slopes. I have also made a note regarding the TV’s and will make sure that gets communicated through the appropriate channels. Thank you very much for taking the time to share comments and we look forward to hosting you again soon.
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Good bedding, OK bathrooms, OK kitchen, OK laundry, great ski in-out access, quiet location (but one night we had some rowdy neighbours). As others have noted, in-lodge reception would have been more convenient.

Room Tip: Go for the in-room hot tub
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for the kind message from your stay with us at Palliser Lodge. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations along with the fantastic ski in/ski out that Palliser offers. I have also made a note regarding the noise and reception area for further review. Thank you once again for sharing your comments and should you return please ask about our Return Guest Rate when booking directly through Bellstar Hotels & Resorts.
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The accommodation at Palliser Lodge is excellent - huge rooms with a large, fully equipped kitchen. As there were three of us we opted for a two bedroom apartment with a private hot tub, which was well worth the extra money. The ski-in, ski-out is a great facility.

Despite all the information stating that the rooms are only cleaned every fourth day (unless you pay a surcharge), housekeeping staff came daily and were happy to restock toiletries and coffee/tea etc.

There is still no reception desk at Palliser but the reception staff (especially Crista) at Glacier Lodge are now excellent, which was not the case a year ago.

The only down side is that the free shuttle bus to Golden has now been stopped. This means that a return taxi trip to the town costs CA$60 - not worth it to visit a small town. The resort must do something about this or they will lose business.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms (307) are good if you want a hot tub with a great view of the resort and mountains...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for the great review along with returning to Palliser Lodge for another winter getaway. I’m delighted to hear your comments regarding both our Housekeeping Team and one of our Guest Services Agents regarding how our delivery in service has improved from your last visit. Unfortunately the shuttle program isn’t in place this year, however, I will ensure that this information is shared with the Kicking Horse community so we can better enhance the Guest experience. Thank you kindly for the wonderful review and we look forward to hosting you again for the 13/14 season.

Been to Palliser Lodge? Share your experiences!