“very good place to eat” 5 of 5 stars

(604) 869-5380
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 35 Restaurants in Hope
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“very good place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We really enjoyed this restaurant. We have picky eaters and everyone was happy when they left - feeling full and satisfied with their meal. The staff were also very friendly. It appears to be a busy place.

Visited July 2013

South Coast England
“Great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just the sort of place we were seeking, great diner style place serving nice home style food. We left very saisfied.

Visited June 2013
Aldergrove
“Loved the Ketchup Garden and Highway to Hell Merchandise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

So tired of the chains - wanted to experience one of those retro roadside burger joints. I'm a sucker for kitch and novelty; what attracted us to the Hope Restaurant was its ketchup garden planter outside the front door. They had planted some bottles amongst the flowers and plants. Very creative! They also had some Highway to Hell merlchandeise in the front window, and some scarecrow type characters from the show. Highway to Hell is the reality TV show that is shot in and around Hope.

My friend and I ordered the deluxe burger. Their burgers come with potato salad, fries, salad, or soup of the day. I ordered the "Peasant Borscht." My friend ordered the "Split Pea." The soup came in a good-sized bowl. My friend liked the split pea, but my borscht was bland and watery.

Onto the burgers. They were good, but not great. The charbroiled pattie had a nice taste and was not greasy. It was accompanied by mayo, burger sauce, onion, tomato, lettuce, and a dill pickle on a kaiser bun.

My freind had a Coke and I had coffee. The coffee was good. Not bitter or strong. Classic coffee-shop style - the way it used to be, and I like that way best.

The only other retro feature was an old Coke machine inside the restaurant. The rest is so 1980s. Teal wallpaper, oak and brass, and those bevelled glass partitions. I would love to see this place remocelled into true 1950s/1960s retro! The ketchup garden was a good start - too bad they didn't carry the novelty and kitch inside.

The home-baking looked good, but was too full to order anything. Their cinnamon buns are huge - would be worth stopping for a bun and that good coffee someday.

The bill came to almost $30 for two. A bit pricey, but we did avoid another chain, so no great regrets.

If they took my advice - got rid of the 1980s look and injected some of that retro kitch, I think this place would be a real hit.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Victoria, Canada
“A trusted old favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We have stopped at this restaurant many times over the years on our way up to the interior. Run superbly by the Younie family, it has always been an excellent place for breakfast, lunch or dinner depending on the time of day. You can always count on the down-home atmosphere, friendly and efficient wait-staff and good food. We've tried other restaurants in Hope but always come back to the Hope Drive In. Check it out...you won't be disappointed! (The green salad is absolutely excellent!)

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Golden, B.C.
“Get Off The Freeway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have stopped here on many occasions as we travel to and from the Vancouver area, and have never been disappointed. We have left the Lower Mainland early in the day to avoid the traffic rush, and stopped here for breakfast. And when westbound we have stopped here for dinner. The food and service is always great for a family style restaurant. No franchise style meals here, just great homestyle meals.
P.S. Be sure to have a glass of water with your meal. Hope B.C. has superb water.

• Visited April 2013