“Bring your food, your bike, (maybe your dog) and settle in” 4 of 5 stars

Nipika Mountain Resort
RR #3, 4968 Timbervale Place, Invermere, British Columbia V0A 1K3, Canada   |
GreenLeadersGold level
Denver, Colorado
“Bring your food, your bike, (maybe your dog) and settle in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We came here for only 2 nights to mountain bike with a small group. As the only non-rider, I hiked around the 150 acres a bit, hung out with the horses, and took a day trip to Banff. My rider half says the trails -- singletrack connecting the wider cross-country trails -- are raw and fun, but didn't feel he could ride there for a full week. They also rafted down the river to the property one afternoon.
The cabins are beautifully built and well-furnished. Nicer linens than I'd anticipated, everything functional, including the wood-fired hot tub. Chairs for relaxing on the front porch, grill, everything you need. Don't bring electrical devices b/c they will drain the system which is off-grid. As mentioned, no cell, and unreliable internet up at the office. But you're there for the lovely cabins, the terrain, the crisp air, the sunset over the mountains.
The horses may roam the lawns or be in their corral: the monster draft horse could be scary for a kid, but he's sweet and gentle, and I think every kid should meet a horse. The riders saw a cougar on one of the trails far from the cabins -- so this is indeed a wild place.
The only negative was the 14km gravel road in/out. It is frequented by huge, speed-limit-busting mining trucks and they are not terribly polite. One passed me going perhaps 60mph/100kph and i was blinded by the dust in his wake for the next several minutes. I was afraid of being rear-ended by anyone coming up behind me. So once you get there, don't leave.

Room Tip: individual cabins of varying sizes
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We travelled to Nipika last Sunday, March 10, 2013 for a three night stay at this wilderness resort. What an incredible experience for those people that REALLY need to get away from it all! Your cell phones do not work nor can you connect to the internet - which is definitely a break we needed!!! The beautifully crafted log cabin had everything we needed including chopped firewood for our fireplace, big cozy duvets, all our towels, and cooking utensils. We brought our own food and prepared our own meals at our leisure as the kitchen is fully equipped with stove, fridge, coffee presses, -- and the water is soooo unbelievable! We BBQ'd dinner on our deck each evening and watched the sun slowly sink behind the incredible mountains surrounding this gem of a resort. During the day - we rented cross country skiis or snow shoes and tried out some of the well groomed trails. This resort if perfect for a romantic get away, quality family time, or just to spend time with friends - enjoying nature at it's finest!
Lyle the owner, got the wood heated hot tub and saunas fire up for us and other guests were enjoying skating on the frozen swimming pond!
Can't say enough about this beautiful place - you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Any of the cabins - they are all great!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Nipika is a bit out of the way but it is worth the extra travel time. The skiing is fantastic. Lots of trails with few skiers (at the least on the day I was there). There are two tracks so skiers can meet without having to decide who will give up the track in a face-off.
The warming hut to wax your skiis is a nice touch and the personal orientation is something I really appreciated. There are a lot of intersections on the trails so make sure you take the map and pay attention to tips during the orientation on where the hills are and the best direction to ski. I will go back (frequently)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I just spent a week at Nipika Mountain Resort in BC to do a cross country ski camp booked through Black Feather adventure tours. It was a fantastic experience in every way. I went on my own and felt very comfortable and welcome by everyone at the lodge and the other guests. The setting was beautiful, with cozy cabins and a main lodge surrounded by mountains and cross country ski trails. The owner of the resort and former Olympic ski coach, Lyle Wilson, was a superb host, instructor and guide. He's a very kind and genuine person who provided lots of great info about environmental issues and energy reduction. The trail system is beautiful, extensive, tranquil and well-maintained and the sauna and outdoor hot tub make for a perfect way to end a great day of skiing. The accommodations are very comfortable, clean and I felt like I was at home right away. Nipika is a special place; one of those spots that is hard to leave and just makes you want to come back. I felt like I was safely tucked away in a remote oasis. Before the week was up, I was already thinking of ways to come back to Nipika, as were most of the people in my group. I whole heartedly recommend this place (and especially doing a night ski to one of the warming huts - and bring along some maple whiskey to help keep warm!) I will definitely return to Nipika......

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We spent the weekend of Jan 19, 20 at Napika and had one of the best experiences of our lives to date. Everything was absolutley perfect, from the accomodations to the people to the trails and weather. We are already planning our next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Horncastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Let me start by saying that I fully endorse all the previous reviews about this resort; it is indeed a fantastic place. However, if like us your first point of contact is Steve then it would be easy to get the wrong impression. On arrival we were met by Steve who has all the charm of an executioner and actually made us feel we were inconveniencing him by asking to check in. He then made a point of watching us unload our vehicles his motive for which became evident when he discovered that one of our party had brought a coffee maker. I should explain at this stage that Nipika’s only power source is solar charged batteries; these provide a rudimentary lighting system for the cabins and nothing else. The likes of hair dryers, hair straighteners and a whole host of other electrical goods are banned. On discovering the forbidden coffee maker Steve was not content with just telling us it was not permitted, but took great delight in giving our whole group the ‘naughty child’ lecture on the evil of electrical appliances. Later that day as we gathered around one of the designated fire pits we were again accosted by Steve, head of the Fun Police, who now felt it necessary to give us a lecture on why we should avoid starting forest fires and consequently destroying thousands of acres of forest and our cabin.

The cabins don't come cheap and I don’t think it would be unreasonable to expect some kind of housekeeping service during our stay. Eight people using the single bathroom and same towels for a week, leaves a lot to be desired. Part of our group were using the bed settee located in the lounge as a bedroom, none of the lower windows have any form of blinds or curtains. This not only means that you have to get undressed in full view of any passing guests, but once the sun starts to rise, in our case 4:30, then your bedroom is fully lit.

On the positive side I could go on about the fantastic location, the brilliant opportunities for outdoor activities and the peace and tranquillity, but to be honest nothing I could write would do them justice. I will say that Lyle who co-founded the resort is one of the nicest and genuine people you could ever hope to meet, he always has the time off day for people and is a mine of local information. If you don’t fall in love with Nipika and Rufus the community dog, then you don’t have a heart.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We almost didn't write this review- worried too many people will come and make it hard for us to book next time.

Off-the beaten path (and off the grid), the cabins are still comfortable and the spot truly unique. As long as you like preparing your own food and bbqing (we do) and come prepared, this is a lovely little hideway off a mountain-ringed meadow. We stayed just one night with our baby but wanted to stay longer. Friendly staff/owner, great single-track mountain-biking along cliff-tops, beside two different rivers, and around a spectacular waterfall.

The baby was particularly delighted by the five horses that roam the meadow (along with the whack-a-mole Colombian ground squirrels) and amble up to your cabin door.

Well, no sense foaming on at the mouth with delight... you get the idea: we'll come back as soon as we're able.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Nipika Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!