“Fun to sit outide but food ordinary” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 74 Restaurants in Nelson
Edmonton
“Fun to sit outide but food ordinary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I had a small dinner Greek salad which was very tasty but not original Greek as it was served with lettuce and creamy Greek dressing but not a lot of feta cheese. My daughter had souvlaki..after asking for no tomatoes the server might have mentioned that it was also served with red onions. She was expecting just souvlaki with the pita bread and dressing.

The sandwiches the others ordered were good size with plenty of french fries.

It took a long time for the food to arrive although it was after the Sat.market so the place was busy. As well we were not informed bills were not brought out to the outside tables which is fine but we waited for that.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
MainStreetDinerNelso, General Manager at Main Street Diner, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thanks for giving us a try while you were in Nelson.

Our greek dressing is made in house from scratch. We import a very special soft feta straight directly from Greece ourselves but agree that it's not the 'original'. There is zero cream in the dressing but the cheese can be quite soft so this might be what you experienced.

Sorry you guys missed the red onions on the menu, I know they're not easy to pick out once chopped and wrapped in with tzatziki. Our apologies.

Saturday markets in the summer are a bit crazy sometimes, appreciate your understand for the longer than normal bill times.

Hope you guys had a great time in our beautiful little town. Hope you give us a try again next time you're thru.

Lethbridge
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Well I ate here last summer several times and loved it. I ordered the calamari salad combo and raved about it. This time when we arrived it took forever to even get an acknowledgement that we were even there and this was with a fussy 2 year old. So of course I ordered the calamari combo and when it came like an hour later it was pretty much all the tentacle type calamari. I saw another order a few minutes later and it was a nice variety how it was served last year. I did kit complain because I'm sure it would have taken forever and my son was done with sitting. Couldn't even finish all my meal as it was way to chewy

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for the accolades on your experience with us last summer! We pride ourselves on quick food service so are sorry to hear you had to wait, especially with a little one.

We cut our calamari in house from whole squid and sometimes the tentacles and rings don't get prepared in consistent proportions.

Thanks for the feedback, next time please mention as we'd be happy to make it right.

Hope you had a good time in Nelson.
Nelson
“Soggy Fries, Uninspired Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Ordered the "boring burger", and it sure was! Just a slab of meat on a grocery store hamburger bun. OK, so it was boring; but I couldn't find the choice that added just relish , lettuce, maybe tomato, and I didn't want Swiss cheese and bacon. or whatever the other fancy choices were. To top it all off, the fries were soggy and lukewarm - no way to rescue them. My partner had one of the various poutine-type dishes, which again did not live up to the menu descriptions. Sorry to pan this place, but I would try others first.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Our menu reads almost exactly that for the Boring Burger. 'Just the meat and the bun'.

If you do choose to try us again, ask your server for the 'No-Cheese Burger' with no sauces and a side of mustard? (we're sorry but we only have relish for the odd weekend burger special and don't carry the green, store bought kind). I'm sure you'll be pleased with our home made beef patty, some crisp leaf lettuce and a couple slices of tomato.

Our fries are hand cut daily and we pride ourselves on serving the best! If you weren't totally excited about them we'd love to try again.

If you're looking for another great spot in town, try the 100 mile burger at Mike's Place located in the Hume Hotel! When I don't feel like cooking I'll almost always head down the street there, tho we do hope to see you again sometime.
Edmonton, Canada
“A must see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I hit this diner at least once every year I am out in the Nelson area. I am served by the same wonderful man each time! the service is amazing and the food is to die for. My one Irish friend swears by the Halibut fish & chips!

Visited July 2013
Thanks so much for your kind review. I can only assume you are met by Lorence (he's about 6'8" tall?) each time you are in. He's always in for a good laugh!

I have to admit, I share your friends passion for our Halibut & Chips. Thankfully Nelson has no shortage of hills to climb to stay fit!

Hope to see you next time you're thru town trmpt.
Oliver, British Columbia, Canada
“Main street diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Good food, friendly service and reasonable prices. The menu was quite extensive with lots of Greek type choices. The food was excellent and sitting right on main street is a very interesting place to people watch.

Visited July 2013
Thanks for your kind review.

We've always had a 'beginners menu' with only our favourite's on it stashed away for those finding it hard to decide on what to eat. We admit, our menu has too many great items to choose from.

See you when you return Reklaw252! Happy Travels.