“These guys run a tight ship.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hume Hotel

You added Hume Hotel to your Saves list
Hume Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   422 Vernon Street, Nelson, British Columbia V1L 4E5, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Free Full Hot Breakfast!
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Nelson
New Westminster, Canada
“These guys run a tight ship.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Every part of this hotel is awesome! I've frequented the pub, lounge, club, restaurant and liquor store for years and NOW I have tried the actual hotel. The best part about the Hume is the staff. The service here is TOP NOTCH every time! The room was cool. It had an old-west vibe to it. Apparently Willie Nelson once stayed in the room I stayed in. Room #222

The food is amazing, the best pizza in Nelson. They make a mean caesar there too.

Room Tip: Willie Nelson once stayed in Room #222
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

The Hume is one of those rare hotels that is authentically charming and hip, all at the same time. The Hume has tons of character, like you'd expect from a gold rush town, and it's been cherished and renovated to highlight that history. The rooms and hallways are quaint with lots of great old photos and furniture, but the beds are comfy and there's free WiFi. We always look forward to staying here. It is seriously one of our favourite hotels ever! Highlights include the Library Lounge (our favourite), one of the coziest places to have a drink. We always feel lucky if we're there on a Sunday to catch local musician, Niko, strumming guitar and singing like Chet Baker. There are many options when it comes to eating and drinking at the Hume . There's Mike's Place Pub which is always entertainingly busy with a young university pub vibe and great food specials. We had a big plate of yummy spaghetti for $6.99. There's also the General Store Restaurant with funky booths and decorative antiques and complimentary breakfast with your stay... which i might add was not the usual cereal and muffins. I ate a shrimp benedict with creamy dill sauce. The basement of the Hotel even has a "state of the art" nightclub (Spirit Bar) with a great sound system and a surprisingly packed schedule of world class DJs and bands. There's even a liquor store, spa and a hair salon. I can't say enough good things about this place. The staff is super friendly and you really feel "at home" here. I went to dinner in my socks. :)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
humehotel, General Manager at Hume Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2012
Wow, thank you so much for such a detailed review of the Hume. It was eloquent and you covered every corner of this place. You have truly experienced all the great things that really set us apart from every other hotel out there. The many different facilities each with its own ambiance - our restaurant, lounge, pub, liquor store, day spa and nightclub. The live jazz, the full hot made-to-order breakfasts, the hip heritage character and you even mentioned our staff which is truly the greatest part and our most valued asset. We appreciate you telling the world about the "athentically charming" Hume Hotel.

We hope to host you again soon.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

Whenever we come to Nelson, the Hume Hotel is there to welcome us with charm and a smile. From the lounge and general store, guest services or the pub, the professional and gracious staff surpass expectations and keep up coming back every time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed at The Hume on The weekend and was blown away by the vibe, The Food was excellent in the restaurant, I peeked into the pub, MIke's which was rocking and had snowboard videos on. The Spirit Bar in Basement is one of the coolest clubs I've been to in canada. The Overall style of the building is historic.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Kitimat, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

I absolutely LOVE staying at the Hume.....First of all I love visiting Nelson and the Hume is a huge part of the whole experience. The Housekeeping team were always very friendly, stopping to say good morning in the corridors which was appreciated. My room was very clean with a fantastic view from the 4th floor. The front desk and food and beverage team all recognized the reason I was staying at the hotel and were all very attentive throughout my stay. Ryan (General Manager) made it very easy to check in with very short notice. I had breakfast, lunch and dinner over the couple days and every meal was fantastic. I absolutely LOVE this hotel and feel so at home when I'm there. I wouldn't stay anywhere else when in Nelson...It's my one and only choice. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
humehotel, General Manager at Hume Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
Thanks for the detailed review of your stay. It's nice when members of our housekeeping department are acknowledged for a job well done. They are the true unsung heroes that keep this place shining and you're right, a simple 'good morning' from the housekeeping team can go a long way in making our guests feel welcome. I'm glad everything was 'perfect'. We hope to see you again next year.
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

As usual, we stayed at the Hume Hotel, right in downtown Nelson. This heritage hotel has lots of heart, and the staff are very friendly and welcoming. Not only are the rooms clean and comfortable, but the Hume offers a variety of options for food and drinks. We enjoyed dinner and drinks in Mike's place, and saw a show at the Spirit Bar. We enjoyed a delicious and very filling breakfast (included with the room stay) in the General Store downstairs. Another great thing about the Hume is the location. Everything you need is in walking distance! There are a number of unique shops, restaurants, and coffee shops right along Baker Street that you should definitely check out! Overall we had a great stay (as usual) and will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

This is my second time staying at The Hume Hotel in Nelson, if you truly want to experience the rich history of this charming town you won't be disappointed. The hotel has stayed true to their roots, if you look at old photos of the hotel property it is reminiscent of back when they first opened their doors in the late 1800's.

Aside from the aesthetics of the hotel I found the rooms to be comfortable and cozy, there is a bar located on the bottom half of the hotel. But I did not find it too be noisy at all. The night club located in the lower part of the hotel had a live performer the Sunday evening of our arrival, and my fellow traveler's and I were able to enjoy an unexpected live band that evening, perfect!

The room rate also included a hot breakfast in the morning, which was an added bonus.
All the staff from the front desk clerks, to the restaurant/bar staff were all excellent. Like I said this is my second time staying at this location, I will definitely be back for future stays

Room Tip: Higher Floor is the best choice to avoid any noise
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hume Hotel? Share your experiences!