“Quality, service, portions not up to par for a high end restaurant” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Louie's Steakhouse and Lounge

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 74 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A distinctly metropolitan culinary experience, in historic Nelson's bustling downtown. Whether it's an intimate evening for two, or a casual gathering amongst friends, Louie's is sure to provide an experience you won't soon forget.Specializing in signature steaks, specialty pastas, rustic thin crust pizza, and FRESH seafood, Louie's Steakhouse offers the finest quality food, and exemplary service in an area of abundant comfort.Executive Chef Adam Duff has created a dining experience focusing on regional products, and in season ingredients. We off only the finest cuts of premium aged beef, along with a menu featuring a diverse selection of appetizers, entrees and accompaniments that is sure to tantalize the most refined of palates.Our liquid chefs have created an impeccable cast of martinis -- 28 in all, and an impressive selection of signaure cocktails. Our extensive wine list focuses on wines from the region, with a bit of international flair. Not to mention award-winning Nelson Brewing Company lagers and ales on tap, and fine premium spirits.
Nelson, Canada
“Quality, service, portions not up to par for a high end restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Went to Louies with my wife for a special dinner. I ordered the lamb medium rare and was told that I should order it medium because most people don't realize how rare medium rare lamb is....?...I have probably eaten medium rare lamb more times than this waiter has served it. Took it as an insult to my culinary intelligence and started the experience off on the wrong foot. After a disappointing starter and a long wait - even though not terribly busy, the lamb came and the portion was small - unevenly cooked and the rest of the plate portion was meagre - taste was so-so.My wife's meal was nothing special either. Expected a lot more for the big price tag - comparing this to high end restaurants in Vancouver it is well below standard.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Rob_Little, General Manager at Louie's Steakhouse and Lounge, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Kim M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment. I'm assuming you were in our restaurant a while ago, as lamb has not been on our menu for months. With that said, I do apologize that you did not enjoy your starter or lamb dish. If our service staff offended your culinary intelligence, I once again apologize. Our servers are trained to inform our guests on how our Chef would recommend the dish be cooked, and in this case it was medium. As far as portion size goes... I have to say that you are the first person to ever question our portion sizes. In fact most people feel the exact opposite. And although lamb can vary slightly in size, a full rack is a full rack to some degree. So there really shouldn't be any issue here. And finally, your comment regarding the cooking time, as a seasoned lamb eater, I'm sure you are aware that to cook a rack of lamb properly to medium rare, as you requested, takes a minimum of 20 minutes. This is substantially longer than any other dish on the menu, and holds true to any restaurant around. We time all of our bills in the restaurant and hold to a 17 minute bill time or less as acceptable from the minute your appetizer is cleared, with the exception of lamb when it is on the menu and allow for 30 minutes for this dish. These bill times are monitored daily, and I can assure you that I have not seen a lamb dish exceed this bill time in the past 10 months. With that said, I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your time with us at Louie's. We take great care in trying to provide the finest food and highest quality service, to all of our guests. In future please do not hesitate to let us know of your discontent while in the restaurant, so that we may address the issue more promptly. Should you have any further comments or would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to message me, or contact me directly at the restaurant.

Fresnillo, Mexico
“Excelent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Great athmosphere, kind and polite staff.
This place is really much more than a steakhouse, it really has a sophisticated touch that makes you feel comfortable.
Food was great, just my steak was a little too much marbled it became chewy, but great in the end. Besides they have a very wide wine and beer selection

Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
“Amazing food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We love going to Louies whether it be for a glass of wine and some appetizers or to eat a full meal. The atmosphere is amazing and the food never fails to impress!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
UK
“excellent food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

A very nice restaurant with two areas, one slightly more informal lounge and a more formal restaurant area in the back.

Food and service were excellent, a very nice steak cooked perfectly with a nice selection of veg and fries. Other half had a lovely pasta dish.

2 mains, 2 drinks (including a big steak) came to $74

I'm going back tomorrow to try one of their Martini's.

Visited February 2014
oregon
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Ate dinner at Louie's
Everyone's dinner was cool. Said to leave the hot potato and heat the steak but they took back whole plate and then steak was warm but potato w as cold. Meat was right color and presentation was superb but they need to improve their timing,place was half empty on a Friday night so no excuse for cold meat. They did comp my dessert which was nice but when you spend ovev$300 for dinner you expect more

Visited January 2014
Rob_Little, General Manager at Louie's Steakhouse and Lounge, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear skidog,

Thanks so much for your review. I do remember you gentlemen in the restaurant that night, and once again I'd like to apologize for the timing issue with your meal. We do believe in the importance of resting steaks after the cooking process is complete, as a piping hot steak right off the grill can be ruined very easily if cut into, and with yours we obviously over-rested it. Unfortunately it can sometimes be a fickle process to get it just right, and it is very rare that we don't do just that. Yours was one of those unfortunate exceptions, and for that we apologize. Thanks again for taking the time to review our establishment, and I'm very glad to see that you thoroughly enjoyed staying in our hotel and our sports bar. I really enjoyed talking with you guys about Oregon Pinot, and hope you had a great vacation overall. Hopefully we will get the chance to see you again, and get the opportunity to show you our usual high quality of food that we have become known for. All the best!