“Premium price for Valentine disappointment, last straw.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ric's Lounge & Grill

Ric's Lounge & Grill
701 Lakeside Dr. | in Prestige Lakeside Resort, Nelson, British Columbia V1L 6G3, Canada
250-354-1472
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 74 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, Pizza & Pasta, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Nelson, Canada
“Premium price for Valentine disappointment, last straw.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We are from Nelson and have given this restaurant many chances. The last straw for us, on Valentine's Day, was when the menu described my steak as being in a Merlot reduction. When the plate came it looked empty. When I cut into the compound butter on my steak, it was frozen. Needless to say my steak was cold. It took me a few seconds after that to realize that the reduction was missing from the plate. Upon questioning our server, the reply was that, "maybe it was marinated in the reduction". The server had no clue what they were serving. When the supervisor came with a bowl of reduction as a side, it was disappointing. This is not the first time there have been mistakes like this when we have ordered food here. After talking with friends, it seems that other locals have had similar issues here. Save your money for the summer patio season. Go lite on the food. Enjoy the drinks, summer weather and the live music on the weekends.

Visited February 2014

Edmonton, Canada
“Good food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Great breakfast, pub food was good too. Service was excellent. If your staying at the lakview resort this is a nice spot if you don't want to leave the hotel. Would love to return in the summer to enjoy the patio and beautiful lake views!

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Beautiful BC
“New chef can't cook beef .....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Two of us had a quiet Saturday night dinner in the lounge, great live musice setting atmosphere. Things went downhill from there. First ordered tempura calamari with ponzu dipping sauce. Came with tzaziki. Asked about the ponzu and was told "chef didn't have the ingredients". Kind of a small portion for $13. Next ordered a medium rare ribeye. Came dry and well done. Called the server who immediately agreed, took it back and came out with another plate in about 10 minutes.

First thing I did was cut the new steak in half and it was blue rare in the middle. The server was still there and didn't even ask if it was ok, she immediately apologized and took the steak away again. About 5 minutes later I got my cut steak back, and third time was a charm.

The chef came out about 5 minutes after that and asked about my steak, claiming my first steak was meant for another table. So I asked about my second steak, and he said that is how aged beef looks when cooked medium rare. I don't think the poor fellow is used to cooking beef. Also got a side of mushrooms, and was a little disappointed. Looked like a 1/4 can of sliced mushrooms sauted with butter and garlic.

However, the server, who also turned out to be the manager, recognized that we were clearly not impressed with our meal, and did everything she could to fix the situation. She comped my meal and my companions after dinner drink, but still not a great dining experience.

Overall, the prices are big-city but the portions and quality aren't quite there. Nelson has so many great places to eat, we won't be rushing back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nelson, Canada
“Great burger!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We came here spontaneously and had trouble deciding what to get, since everything sounded so good. I felt like having a cheeseburger, so I had an excellent one, obviously handmade, and the sweet potato fries. To our surprise, the chef, Ciraj, came out and personally asked us how everything was and chatted with us for a few minutes! We were both very impressed, both with the food and the service! Looking forward to next time!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Balfour, Canada
“Give them another chance... new chef!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I've eaten at Ric's a few times since Ciraj became cook, and while it is a pricy meal, the food reflects that. Fresh, delicious and beautifully presented, it's worth the money, in my opinion. I'm also impressed with the attention by Ciraj, who makes a point of coming out and talking to his guests. He wants to please and he's a pleasure to talk to! Apparently he's doing Indian buffet lunches on Fridays and Saturdays now... I hope to get in to sample his traditional cooking soon!

• Visited October 2013