“Good service, yummy seafood” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 87 Restaurants in Parksville
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Mississauga, Canada
“Good service, yummy seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed at this resort, and decided to try this "lounge". It was a bit expensive for a family of four.
We were seated immediately on a Tue eve, without reservations. Service was consistently prompt, the waitress often ensuring all was well. My son wanted something basic - wings - that was not on the menu, and we were accommodated. I had the cedar salmon - my first salmon since arriving, which was very good. All others cleaned their plates. The chocolate cheesecake dessert was decadent, and what I considered to be a large portion.
I'd recommend it.
We had 2 drinks before dinner, one appetizer, four entrees and one dessert for $100.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Nanoose Bay, Canada
“Best overall in these parts...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

...but not quite perfect. The setting is delightful, the furnishings are tasteful and comfortable, the service is superb and friendly, the menus (there are several) are mouthwatering... but the food & mixed drinks are just not quite what they promise to be. Good, yes. Inventive, yes. Gourmet... doesn't quite make it. I was there with a large group, so I got to see quite a few dishes and sample more than my own order. The crab&shrimp cakes were good, as always, and the steaks and surf&turf dishes looked the best. I had a Cedars Caesar (lots of pickled goodies, but the Caesar itself was kind of drab) with gazpacho (failed to reach Spanish standards) and the Seared Local Halibut (basically a nice salad garnished with a small filet of what must have been a very tiny halibut). The chocolate cake was excellent! My wife had a Mojito (as drab as my Caesar) and some nice Prawn Linguini, which she said was fine. Like I said, the steak items looked best.

This wasn't our first meal at the Cedar Room. The Mothers' Day Brunches are spectacular, although they would do better to prune the less tasty items from the cornucopia; buffets are almost always a disappointment, because one is tempted to try everything, and a few disappointing items spoil the whole experience when there's no more room for the good stuff.

My conclusion is that this place has everything it needs to rival the best restaurants on the Island... except for really top chefs and bartenders. Once again, catering to the tastes of locals may be the downfall of a potentially great restaurant. If you want to compete with the best, you have to cater to the elite -- even if it's wasted on most of us!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pasadena, California
“Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The salmon dinner was fantastic. Also, look for that chocolate root beer cake and SHARE it! Heaven. Service was wonderful.

Visited July 2014
“Very enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We took out of town guests for dinner and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. The service was very friendly, the food was excellent and the ambiance is great.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
“Where to begin..........”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

On June 28th my husband planned a very special evening for my birthday dinner and had every detail worked out - so he thought! He had spoke with someone at the restaurant the day before and asked for a quiet booth with candles. She said that it would not be a problem so he made the reservation for 6:00pm.

We arrived at the restaurant very excited as we had never been there before. We were greeted at the door and escorted to the table. It was not a quiet area and when we inquired about a quieter location we were told, in a rude tone, "no this is it - the restaurant is full" and then she just walked away.

We were very excited to get our evening started. We ordered a drink - mine was fine but my husbands was not great. We then ordered appetizers, spinach & cauliflower dip and the oysters. The dip was fine but not a lot of taste and the oysters were over cooked.

We then decided on main courses. My husband had the prawn linguini and I had the seared halibut. Well my husband was not able to eat his it was so salty - he literally ate one bite and that was it. My halibut was unseasoned and not seared. The presentation was terrible!

When our server came over we explained the situation and he asked if we thought something should be taken of the bill. My husband said he didn't care about that he just wanted the bill and leave. I said that the pasta should have been taken off because he did not eat it. The server went and spoke with the manager and she gave a 30% off the food portion of the bill. The discount did not even cover the price of the pasta! Better yet the manager did not even come over to the table to speak to us he or she just sent the server over as "their representative"

I really don't know where to begin. First the service was not good. Second, I realize that blueberries are in season but for someone that doesn't like them in their protein then there are three proteins that are eliminated from the customers choices. I would suggest that servers know the menu especially if it a new one. I don't blame the servers but management.

Next the candles for our dinner was a tea light and was never lite. So we paid our bill, $90, which would have been much more if all the factors above were different, and went home.
When we got home my husband was so angry with the nights events that he called the restaurant to speak with someone. He spoke to a girl in the office and told her the whole story from beginning to end and she seemed genuinely sympathetic and assured us that the GM would call us. Well it has been six days now and still no call from Paul.

After the call to the restaurant we actually had to go out to eat!!!

Basically, terrible service, lack of creativity in the menu, and no guidance for the staff. My husband & I have worked in the hospitality industry for over 18 years and have never seen or heard of anything like this.

This was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING and I will never recommend this place. I hope that someone from the restaurant sees this review as we would still like a call back. My husband spoke with a girl name Stephanie how was going to speak to Paul.
I do not want a generic response from Brian on trying to improve blah, blah, blah

P.S. First sign should have been when we went there last year to have lunch and we waited at the door for five minutes and still no one greeted us so we left!

Very disappointed birthday girl