“An awesome place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Parksville
sidney, bc
“An awesome place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

We just spent 2 weeks here in a lovely 1 bedroom condo - oceanfront, on the ground floor. It was perfect. Automatic replenishment of coffee, tea, salt, pepper, toilet paper, paper towels and garbage bags. Great access to a beautiful beach. Would love to stay here again. A great family spot.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

Just spent 2 nights & 3 days at Ocean Sands Resort with my 5 year old and her Grandma and we had a great time! Very comfortable and well equipped accomodation (kitchen made food prep easy and reasonble in terms of cost), great pool and access to the beach (elevator takes you most of the way down the bluff!), and very helpful management staff. My daughter, Mother and I had a blast with the sun and surf, a holiday on Rathrevor beach is just the best, so restorative. Would definitely book this accomodation again, probably for longer the next stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Port Alberni
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed at Ocean Sands Resort over the May long Weekend. Wow what a fabulous time. We were ground floor poolside with our two year old son and had such a good time, it was quiet with beautiful garden, clean cool quiet rooms, with am amenities with in walking distance. The pool was heated and great for my husband and I as well as our son. Parksville town had a great park, but Oceans Sands does have one on site as well. Ate at green Sushi place on the old Island Hwy was great food, and kid friendly. Staff at Ocean sands were helpful will all our needs and we will be back to stay again. Oh! and the beach was great as well, much better than the public one.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

I stayed at Ocean Sands Resort this past Victoria Day weekend and had a fabulous time. The relaxed atmosphere, open field, ocean views and outdoor pool were a few of my favorite things. Looking out of my condo seeing kids, young adults and older seniors sharing the same space playing with toys, bocci ball or just reading a book in the sun made me realize I had made the right choice in picking Ocean Sands Resort. I noticed another reviewer was down on the fact that you have to take your own garbage out and such, but one must remember that those things are why Ocean Sands is able to offer their great prices. The staff there, Kristy and Tim, were extremely friendly and helpful. I completely recommend staying here, and will enjoy vacations there for years to come. Well done!

• Stayed May 2009
St.Albert
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

For the past two winters, my wife and I have abandoned the snowbird tendency to migrate south and have migrated west to beautiful Vancouver Island. We prefer to leave the cold winters in Alberta (February and March) and seek out a long term vacation resort which provides the comforts of home. Ocean Sands Resort is one of the most economical places to stay for a two month period. Having several different units to accomodate you, we prefer the beachfront condos which offer a spectacular view of the Straits of Georgia. Our unit which has been recently renovated, is very comfortable having two bedrooms with king and queen beds, hardwood floors, a cosy natural gas fireplace with comfy furniture to boot. The kitchen has all the amenities you could possibly want including the all important dishwasher. Each unit has a modest sized balcony with a table and chairs. In the three level complex that we occupy, an elevator is a very convenient feature, particularly those of us in our senior years.
For the two holidays we have spent here, the staff have been wonderful ensuring that our needs are being met. For example, this year our unit did not have a blender so I mentioned it to Darcy(manager) and the next day a brand new one was delivered to my door. Additional linen and towels were also provided for our lengthy stay.
One minor inconvience, is the sound-proofing between floors. Most of time it is quiet, but if a bunch of heavy walkers moves in above, you can hear their coming and goings.
We intend on returning next year and have already recommended to our friends.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

My parents treated my family and me to a few days with them at the Ocean Sands Resort. While I am ever so grateful for this vacation treat, travellers should know there are lots of options and they should consider carefully before selecting Ocean Sands.

The ocean sands was extremely noisy, not frat party noisy as there were lots of families with young children, but the condo buildings were so loud you could feel the footsteps taken in nearby units and could hear whole conversations of other guests. The balconies were situated so that you couldn't have a "private" dinner, you were literally 10 fee from another guest. Since there is no air conditioning, you had to have the windows open so you could hear everyone coming to or from the beach, swimming pool or parking lot.

Also, the "self-service" idea has been taken to the extreme. You had to take your used towels to the office (a real hike from the condos) to get fresh towels (they wouldn't just give us some extra). You had to take your garbage and recycling to the bins which were an even further hike and we had to ask for more coffee/tea/sugar and garbage sacks almost every day. ( i thought we were supposed to be on vacation, but even my garbage men take my garbage from the curb.)

They did have wire-based internet, but when the internet service was interrupted, the office instructed us to call the internet provider and sort it out with them. That's an interesting proposition when you are a guest at a resort. It took almost an hour.

The only bright side of the stay was the manager, Darcy. He was extremely helpful and very friendly.

Parksville, the town, is a great place for families with young children, the beach was very much fun, the location is beautiful, but I would recommend booking early and staying somewhere else.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of any noise abatement in structure
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ocean Sands Resort? Share your experiences!