“New and clean but disappointing ” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort

You added Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort to your Saves list
Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1175 Resort Drive, Parksville, British Columbia V9P 2E3, Canada   |
Offers & Announcements
Pay 2, Stay 3!
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Parksville
“New and clean but disappointing ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Disclaimer: we traded out week from a resort in Beaver Creek, CO. This should not have been offered as an equivalent. There is no comparison to the excellent resort we own in Beaver Creek.

The unit we we're given was incredibly small and had no view other than of the trailer park next door. However, it was very clean and of nice new construction. The unit had basic kitchenette facilities but no table (even a tiny one) to make any use of them. There was no where to put wet coats (it rains here!) other than on upholstered chairs. As others have noted there is no AC which was fine for this time of year but it still required having the tiny window (the only one) open. Unfortunately, this was also directly on the 2nd floor walkway so you heard everyone coming and going at all hours of the night. Not that a TV is huge thing for us on vacation this one was no bigger than about 12" - seriously a resort room with a TV smaller than a computer monitor! The bathroom was nice but had very poor lighting and the modern doorless shower was not designed correctly so water would splash out all over the floor no matter how careful you were. Also, like others said it really isn't on the water/beach like you might be led to believe but that did not matter to us. We found it funny that we were told when checking in that we could not get additional soap and shampoo products without buying them since we were using an Interval International trade. We have never heard that anywhere in years and years of trading.

While the location of this resort worked for us as a base for exploring some areas of Vancouver Island we would not recommend it for anything other than an overnight stay during cold months only!!!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sunrise08, General Manager at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on our site, all be it not a glowing endorsement. I have taken the time to look at the confirmation you received from Interval listing the amenities etc. at the resort. You exchanged into a studio unit here at the resort, and that is the room type you were given. I understand that there are many different types of studio units listed with Interval International, and empathize with you if in fact ours are much different from yours. It is unfortunate that Interval does not include square footage in their information. We do have beautiful and very spacious units available through II, and would hope that you would consider trading for one of those at some time in the future. They would be much more conducive to a longer stay, such as a week. Many, but not all of the larger units do have a partial or full view of the water, with the beach being at the far end of our 10.2 acre piece of property. We are currently in the middle of some refurbishment, that will place 50" TV's in our larger units and 39" in the studio units which I am sure will make quite a difference for the guest's experience moving forward.
It is unfortunate that your experience here was not what you had anticipated and sincerely hope that you will consider another exchange into a unit type that would better suit you needs.
Sincerely
Robynne Shaw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
White Rock, B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My parents live in Qualicum Beach, nearby Parksville, and there are few hotel options. Sunrise is along a row of large square footage fractional ownership condo.s and cabins that make terrific family bases for family visiting family. Prices vary and Sunrise is at the upper level.
Why? Very new and big kitchens fully equipped with dance floor size granite island kitchen and all the appliances needed to cook family size meals. Each bedroom has a bathroom and master ensuites are luxurious with separate bath and shower. Throw in heated floors and you have a home by the beach.
We booked a 2 bedroom which was very acceptable and roomy for the three of us. A 3 bedroom ocean view villa came available and we upgraded to its over 1000 sq. ft., covered patio with gas heater and 4 TV's!!! We watched the eagles that roost in the adjacent tree sail over the ducks that cover the bay. The silence is broken only by birds and seals.
The beach is an east side Island beach meaning a tidal beach that is adjacent to Rathtrevor Provinvial Park and its famous tidal beach.
I rate this a 4 because the exterior little stuff, ie. road, walks, have yet to be finished but my wife rated the stay a 5 plus. Staff are wonderful at check-in and the units are immaculate ready for you to turn on the lights and pull back the blinds.

Room Tip: Beach villa's book up, so enquire early. The condo. units are approx. 500 metres away and attach...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

My stay here wasn’t bad. But I did leave with a bad taste in my mouth. Upon arrival it was dark and raining. I checked in and was directed to 234B and told to go out the back door and follow the path around to the entrance of building “2”. I gathered my things, my laptop and suitcase and coat and exited the lobby to the back patio area and beyond into the rain. Total darkness. I could sort of make out the path and carefully walked along it. I could see building 2, but couldn’t make out in the darkness how to get there. Meanwhile I was getting wet. I made it down to building 4 but couldn’t see a path to get to building 2. I eventually traipsed across a gravel path, carrying my suitcase, in the blackness and arrived at the entry to building 2 soaking wet. I found it! I entered my room and found it to be very, very warm. I assume that is so that you have a nice inviting, warm room instead a cold uninviting one, but it must be a lot cheaper to have the heat turned down a bit. The room had in-floor heating which is quiet and even but slow to control. There was no air conditioning. Eventually I left the bathroom window open to try and cool the room off. Too hot to sleep. Ugh! Comfortable bed and nice shower though.

I travel a lot for business. Our company has many employees who travel to this area and customers also looking for a place to stay. We recommend this hotel. However, that may change. My biggest issue was when I attempted to checkout early. When I booked the room I inadvertently selected the best internet rate and didn’t read the part where it was non-refundable. My plans changed and I needed to checkout two days early. I was informed that even though I was checking out early, I still had to pay for the two nights I didn’t use. I completely understand that logic. I chose that rate (inadvertently), not the resort’s fault. However, I tried to discuss the situation with the manager and she just continued to claim that is our policy and that when I booked I must have acknowledged the policy. Okay, I understand that is your policy… She went on to say that even if I had selected the flexible rate that I would have been charged because it requires 72 hours notice for cancellation. I understand that is the policy. But such an inflexible manager I have never met. Usually hotel managers are willing to try to accommodate, to try to compromise… I would have been happy with some concession with some empathy for my plight, but I got none of that. I could understand it better if it was peak season and the resort was full, but it was almost empty. My point was as a business traveler, it isn’t always possible to have advanced notice. This is not a hotel that is friendly to business people, my mistake… oh yes, I do understand your policy and I understand that your management team is extremely rigid, inflexible, and unaccommodating.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sunrise08, General Manager at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Mr. Arnold,
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the points you’ve raised. Due to the wide audience that engages on Trip Advisor we believe it’s prudent to respond and add some context and clarity to your assertions.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the directions to your room. We are currently looking at some options to provide better lighting in those areas to ensure guests find it easier to locate both the 400 building and the 200 building. With regards to the room temperature, we tend to set the temperature in the winter at around 20 degrees Celcius (68 degrees Fahrenheit) in order for us to be confident that the rooms are too not cold or too warm. In floor heating does take some time to respond whether trying to heat a room up or cool it down, but as you can appreciate what is comfortable for some may not be comfortable for others. I am not sure what the temperature in your room was upon arrival, but will re-iterate this with our housekeeping team to ensure this policy is being followed.
When we implemented our “Best Internet Rate” on our booking engine we did our very best to ensure that guests utilizing these offers would be clear on the conditions. The format utilized makes it necessary to choose the rate from a drop down box (this rate is NOT the default, so it needs to be a concerted effort to choose it). Once you have inserted all of the pertinent information, the next page displays what you have entered. At the bottom of the page is our Guarantee Policy, as well as our Cancellation Policy which reads:
“Deposits are refunded on Rack Rate bookings only which must be cancelled within 72 hours prior to arrival otherwise the deposit equal to a one night stay plus taxes will be forfeited. Best Rate Internet bookings are paid fully in advance and are non-refundable.”
There is a box that must be checked by the potential guest to accept this, or they can choose to cancel and begin again to book at rack rate rather than taking the risk. In this case you chose to accept the rate and the policy.
This policy is also printed on the confirmation of information that the guest has an option to read or print out once the policy has been accepted.
Having a reservation in the system means we can no longer market or rent that room for that time period. The Best Internet Rate is a discounted rate offered on a “final sale” basis. It is much like getting a discounted item at a store that often has a “final sale” policy. If it was decided at a later time the item was no longer wanted or needed, it can’t be returned.
We empathize with you that you paid for longer than you stayed, but this was a term that was agreed to by you at the time of booking. I will be contacting you under separate cover to follow up.

Robynne Shaw
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We had gorgeous mild weather on November Remembrance Day weekend and enjoyed walking along the beautiful sandy beach that goes forever when the tide is out. Bring your puddle boots for splashing through the tide pools. The beaches on the east side of Vancouver Island are uniquely calm, and soothing. Lots of sea lions barking across the bay and seals close at hand. We saw so many birds and other wildlife in a brief morning walk. Rathtrevor provincial beach park is minutes away with wonderful seaside trails. You'll enjoy viewing the majestic snow covered coastal range mountains across the strait. This waterfront accommodation suited our family perfectly...it is spacious with three bedrooms and also three bathrooms, a great kitchen with all of the dishes and glassware we needed, a large living area and outdoor patio for relaxing family time. We'll be back!

Room Tip: I always want to be close to the water...I recommend the waterfront villa if you want to experience...
Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We came up Sunday spent the day swam in the pool and relaxed. We asked for the top floor away from everything. On the top floor it was nice and quiet. We went and sat by the evening fire. I wish we had that the first time we stayed.

• Stayed September 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed in a two bedroom waterfront villa. Very nice room. View of the water was beautiful. The villa is well sound proofed, we had a wedding party beside us and didn't hear a thing. The beds were very comfortable. It is a 5 minute walk to get to the main building and the pool. You do need to drive to get to any restaurants. We enjoyed our stay but probably wouldn't stay longer than a day or two.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the newest places to stay in Parksville. Nice outdoor pool with a small workout room, beautiful condo rooms with granite countered kitchens and nice balconies overlooking the pool and courtyard. The adjacent lot is vacant but not unsightly. It is mainly a condo, so don't expect daily bedding and towel changes.

The only knock on the place, which applies to many hotels in Parksville, is that the beaches are very disappointing compared to those on the West side of the Island. The "beach" at Sunrise Ridge is a five minute walk away down a winding path lined with blackberry bushes. When the tide is in, there is no beach, just big rocks. When the tide is out, the ocean is a kilometre away across mud flats.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort? Share your experiences!