“Comfortable Accommodation in Parksville” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort

You added Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort to your Saves list
Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1175 Resort Drive, Parksville, British Columbia V9P 2E3, Canada   |
Offers & Announcements
Pay 2, Stay 3!
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Parksville
Perth, Australia
“Comfortable Accommodation in Parksville”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I chose to stay at the Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort because I managed to get a really good room rate online. Aside from the very reasonable price at the time, it looked appealing and had good reviews.
I stayed here on two separate nights during my travels around Vancouver Island in September. My first room was clean and comfortable, and had a small kitchen. My second room was a little dusty, but otherwise pretty much the same as the first room in layout. There is lots of parking, including a secure underground parkade.
This hotel doesn't have facilities such as a swimming pool or dining, but it is not far from the town of Parkesville where there is a grocery store and places for eating out.
For my purposes, this hotel was good value and met my needs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Sunrise08, General Manager at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Thank you so much for your comments on our resort. We are sorry to hear that you found your room "a little dusty" on your second arrival. Our housekeeping team takes pride in their work, and does their best to ensure that all arrivals are checked carefully and ready for guests to occupy each unit. I will definitely address this with the housekeeping supervisor. We are pleased to hear that your overall experience was a positive one and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Vancouver Island!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I was 7 months pregnant and in desperate need of a good nights sleep. So I treated myself to a night of luxury at this resort - I couldn't believe what I nice room I got for the rate! Super friendly and accomodating staff, extremely nice rooms. I got the peace and quiet I needed and felt like a queen!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Sunrise08, General Manager at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2011
Thank you so much for writing this review! It is our belief as well that we provide great value and price point for the quality of our accommodations, and strive to make our guest's experience a memorable one. I am so happy to hear that we were able to fulfill your need for peace, quiet and relaxation at a time when it was much needed. We look forward to welcoming you back, and meeting your newly expanded family!
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Our family of 4 enjoyed the one bedroom suite with the Murphy bed and sofa bed. The styling, decorations, and kitchen equipment are very modern and well equipped. The resort is located in the tourist strip right next to Tigh Na Mara. Like all of the places on this strip, there is not much within walking distance, but all of the facilities of Parksville are a very short drive away. Parksville is centrally located to enjoy the beauty of central Vancouver Island, including Mt. Washington and Horne Lake Caves to the north, and Nanaimo and Wild Play Element Park to the south. No end of fun! The huge deck for our room had outdoor chairs and a table, and a BBQ. The only drawback to the resort is the lack of air conditioning, but there are only 6-8 weeks a year that this would be a problem.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with the Murphy bed if you need the extra bed space!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
TrueKeyResorts, General Manager at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort. We appreciate all comments we receive by comment cards or Trip Advisor even when the review is not 100% positive. We take them all very seriously and strive to make all of our guests exerience a positive one. We are delighted that you enjoyed your get away, and certainly look forward to welcoming you back.
Salt Spring Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed here twice. Once I got a one bedroom suite in the main building (above the foyer) and it was really nice. It was new and modern, nicely decorated and for the price, a great deal. There wasn't any kind of view but it was nice. Another time I stayed in a small room (I think it was called a studio). I also had nice decor but the room was so small I was surprised. I was on business and alone and didn't have a lot to do so I almost regretted staying here. It was a cold time of year and it took a day before the room was warm enough to take a sweater off and relax. The TV was the smallest I've seen in years and years. There was no view and I did get bored. I wouldn't rent this room again and I wouldn't stay here alone on business again. It's more for relaxing. The beach was close by and I enjoyed walking down to it.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
TrueKeyResorts, General Manager at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
We appreciate all feedback received regarding our property and our Guest's experience during their stay, and are sorry your last stay was not what you were expecting. There is most definitely a difference between a one bedroom and a studio room at the resort. Perhaps on a return stay I would suggest a Jr. Suites which are a size between the studio and the one bedroom, that may be a better fit for your business purposes. It is our goal to look after any problems that are reported by guests (eg: the heat) as quickly and efficiently as possible, once they are brought to our attention. We also do everything possible to accommodate any specific requests from potential guests, so if you have a favourite building, unit or view in mind, although we cannot promise your request will be accommodated, it is our intent to do everything in our power to make the guest experience the best that it can be. Accommodating special requests where ever and whenever possible would play a large part in making that a reality.
Please feel free to phone or email me, as I would be happy to discuss this with you. We value you as a customer, and want to ensure that your next experience is the same as your first!Again, thank you for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Robynne Shaw
Nanaimo, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Sunrise Ridge has the distinct disadvantage of being in a mediocre location in terms of resorts in Parksville. It’s not on the ocean and its most prominent view seems to be of... nothing.... It is located on the outskirts of town, on resort drive. It’s entrance has a spectacular view of the highway into Parksville.

One thing that Sunrise Ridge does have going for it is the fact that it has a decent web site, which is what lured us in. They’ve taken their photos well, but don’t be deceived: these really aren’t accurate representations of the hotel.

That’s not to say the hotel is bad. It’s not. It’s decent. Well... there are.....Let’s just say it could use some improvement.

For instance, when we arrived we were given a room. If you read the paperwork you receive carefully then you will know not to sign certain portions, which give their owners the right to spam you in whatever way they see fit - especially via phone or email. Watch out. Don’t sign anything without reading very carefully first!!!

Our room included a full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, a bedroom, and a shower. Not a tub. A shower. We said ‘no!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!! A TUB!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!” They graciously accommodated us and moved us to a suite with a tub. And the tub was nice (except for the fixtures, which needed attention quite desperately from a plumber as they were quite loose and needed work).

The rest of the room was mediocre. There was nothing spectacular worth mentioning. In terms of resort hotels, there are better ones located in the area (The Beach Club is our favorite in Parksville so far). The rooms are okay, but they’re nothing spectacular. The decor was nice, but a little overdone (really, we did not need the faux-fur bear skin). The location is incredibly ‘meh’ considering other resorts/hotels in the area. The direct marketing clause that was written right into the normal hotel agreement was so sleazy that we refused to sign it without striking out and initialing that portion of the agreement.

If you have the option, you can do better. Try the Beach Club Resort or the Crown Mansion.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
We are sorry to hear that your stay at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort was not what you were expecting. We certainly do our best here to make sure that everyone has a positive experience that will entice them to coming back time and again. There is a little confusion regarding the statement that we are not on the ocean, we are, in fact a 10.2 acre property that begins on the bluff overlooking Craig Bay, in the same way that most of the resorts along Resort Drive do. Granted not all of our rooms have an ocean view, but many do, and if an ocean view is requested at the time of making a reservation, or at check in, then every effort is made to accommodate that request.
All of our one bedroom suites with 2 washrooms have beautiful soaker bath tubs, however we do have very few (4 in fact) of our one bedroom - 1 washroom suites that have shower only.
Our registration paperwork is meant to give our guests the opportunity of NOT receiving promotions, rather than just assuming that because they have stayed here, we have the right to be sending these out. Information is not shared with outside parties, and is used to offer previous guests access to any specails or promotions we may be offering. Guests have the right to opt out of this at any time.
We certainly believe our suites to be far more than mediocre, however it is all personal preference, and everyone has a right to their opinion.
We do appreciate the feedback we receive, whether it be by phone, our in room comment cards, or Trip Advisor, and if you wish to speak to me directly please feel free to call the respond.
Windsor, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I would Not recommend this resort if you plan on staying there when the weather is warm. After checking into our room it came to our surprise to find that our room had no air conditioning but instead a portable fan. The room was like a sauna. Our room was facing the sun so their was no relief from the heat even if the windows were opened wide. We were travelling with our 4 month old so we asked for another fan which they brought up to us but that didn't help the cool room down. Our baby monitor was able to read the temperature in the room and it was was 29 degrees celcius until the really early morning and it then only dropped to 24 degrees - it was like sleeping in a sauna. We complained at the front desk and we got a 10% discount which is nothing when the whole reason you stay at a resort like this is to get a goods night sleep. So thank you for the 12 bucks and you are VeRY welcome for this terrible review. I wish we knew in advance that the place had no air conditioning as I would have stayed anywhere else even if it meant paying more money.

On a bright note, the room was really nice, shower was awesome(when the handle didn't fall off). The 16" was very clear if you were 4 feet away.

For what its worth my wife told me to scale down my comments. Take that any which way you like... Coles Notes version.. StAY AwAY

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
TrueKeyResorts, General Manager at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay here at the resort. Although not a positive review, we feel that all reviews are important in order to help us to become a great place for people to stay when visiting the Oceanside area. I would very much appreciate a chance to speak with you to discuss the experience you had while here. Our intention is, as always, to do what we can to make everyone's stay an experience they will remember for all the right reasons. Please feel free to contact me directly to resolve this issue.
Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We visited Parksville for the first time and stayed in this hotel for one night. The room was spacious and richly carpeted, and there were hardcover books on the shelves that made the whole room look magnificent. The best of all is beautiful beach right outside the hotel and the well-equiped eat-in kitchen which made our dinner unforgetable. We will defintely visited this place again!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort? Share your experiences!