“Bit of a rip off!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Canyon Hot Springs

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Revelstoke
Canyon Hot Springs
You added Canyon Hot Springs to your Saves list
7050 Trans Canada Hyw #1, Revelstoke, British Columbia V0E 2S0, Canada   |
uk
“Bit of a rip off!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

Nice overnight stay on the way through National Park but not worth more than that, very close to railway line but trains not so noisy or busy at night. Expensive site with extra charges for showers and pool!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
West Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I had a vague ambition to check out the circle-of-7-hot springs in the area advertised in the BC tourism brochure, with daughter (18) and son (16); lost interest after Canyon Hot Springs.

At the desk I asked to camp for one night--$32 "for 2 people," $3 for additional person, and $10 for his tent. The fire ban was lifted so we thought we'd have a rare fire, $7 for some wood. I was feeling uneasy as she asked her list of questions while hitting cash register keys--I thought of Fawlty Towers, started to feel light-headed, smiled weakly and said, reassuring myself, "At least the pool is included! ha ha." She expressed surprised, "No, that's not us, that's next door, and it's $25.50 for a swim, but $37.50 if you want to go twice? like until noon tomorrow." I lost it and gasped "This is robbery," I looked back at the lineup of 3 behind me, "Did you hear that?? $37.50 to swim!" (I wanted to warn them, "Run for your lives!" But they seemed content). So I cut-the-comedy and paid $45 for a night of camping with NO water, NO electric, just a table.

They assigned us a spot and we drove past 100+plus empty spots and pulled up beside the only other people there--I felt silly, what if he snores? what if someone farts?, besides, the spot we had was tiny compared to the spots on either side of us--I pictured the girl who had checked us in, mortified, saying to the manager, "Oh No! You'll never guess what I just did! I put them in a one-tent spot! AND I charged them for a larger spot! AND I put them RIGHT beside the ONLY other campers! MAN do I ever feel silly! I hope they just take the next spot over, I feel so foolish!", so, knowing that she would at-some-point realize her error, we popped our tents one site further over to provide us each with a bit of elbow room. Along came another vehicle, "You're in our spot," he had the cutest little baby in his arms, "I'm sorry, but as you can see, they packed us all in to this corner in this great big empty park," so he left, he seemed some-ticked-off, and next-time I saw them the Office had put them beside the toilets and garbage bins (in this bloody-big empty park), and so I saw them pull out again. The Office staff obviously never tented, no clue.

The washroom was lit inside by some sort of motion sensor black-light, and one has to traipse over two sites on a meandering foot-path through a few bushes-in-the-face, in order to get to the bathroom, unless you want to walk a city-block to go all the way around--a sprinkle of stones for a path (something you could see with a flashlight) and trimming the trees/bushes would indicate a valid path between sites, but the set-up is meant for drivers (drive to the toilet?), whoever set it up has never tented. The women's toilet block had 3 toilets, one was overflowing (someone had a bad tummy) but seemed fixed by morning. And three sinks for running-cold-water, one of which wasn't connected to water.

We drove from our tent site to the hot springs pool and paid the $37 for a very nice swim ($2 for a locker seemed a bit steep, but the area around the pool was sprayed wet, so we stacked our clothes and towels on top of our shoes on the pool deck and didn't need to spend the $2s). I went to the Office to have them print out another windshield site-number sign, for the site-next-door (I was glad I had used debit, a bit worried that they'd just put it on my charge card for two sites ...), and he nervously said, "Don't talk to the guy whose site you took, he was mad," and we discussed his pricing policies and especially their costs, like garbage hauling is a contract AND each load is, like, $85, and his enthusiastic assistant also wanted to emphasize that costs are very high and that suppliers are reluctant to come out (for things like garbage hauling or deliveries) unless the rate is so high. He mentioned that he did do a pricing survey (which impressed me, because I show high school business students videos about researching their pricing decision), and his investigation indicated that his prices are bang-in-the-middle of the range for what he offers. I think the main thing is that HIS is a private enterprise--our favourite Katherine Lake Regional on the Sunshine Coast is $22 for a site with power and water, and bathrooms with lights, hot & cold water, and showers. Monck Prov Park in Merritt was $21 for no power or water, good toilets, but no additional charge for a 16 year old and his tent; and Enderby was $21 and $5 for an extra tent, no services, but a huge bathroom block with hot & cold showers--ALL of these places being supported rather than private. But see, no nickel 'n' diming, tenting being the lowliest target group within the market. You'd think they could just offer the straight-goods--in England I was shocked that they charge per person (same room can cost $35, or $70!, etc.), and I think this pricing policy, along with up-selling (which I think is rude), are creeping into practice here, but, while there is competition, people will prefer to not feel they have been gouged and they'll vote with their feet. (I joked that I thought the cashier's next item was to pay for parking, and the manager acknowledged that when he lived in Yaletown parking was $2.50 and now it's $8.50--leaving me with the impression that, Yes, soon Canyon Hot Springs would have a fee for parking).

I didn't notice it, but my children both mentioned the many "rules" and I overheard someone at the poolside say something about all the rules too. Only I noticed a man sitting by the hot pool, over the period we were there, kept dipping his infant's toes into the HOT pool, though she protested, where I could hardly stand the heat, and I thought a sign that said, "No infants or pregnant people in the HOT pool, use the warm pool instead!" would be a sensible one! because I really think he thought the warm pool would be cold, poor little baby. In summary I think the proprietors are trying to make the venture profitable, but to run a camp ground you really have to be, Number 1, interested--like, in camping. And you have to understand the needs as well as expectations of each of your target group's, and even the history of camping, like, simplicity, integrity, elbow-room. My opinion is that, for the long-run, nickel 'n' diming isn't nearly as good a strategy for making money as are repeat customers and word-of-mouth recommendations.

Sherwood Park, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

For $240 we got a cabin with filthy floors, no drinking water, 2 'bath towels' and 2 hand towels - this is supposed to accomodate 4 people? The beds had only bottom sheets, no extra blankets. I have a teenage boy and teenage girl so we thought 2 queen beds plus pullout couch would work well - ONLY IF THEY WOULD SUPPLY BEDDING! The breakfast was 2 paper thin slices of bacon, dried out toast, 2 eggs and one of those little triangular hasbrowns. I wore white socks for less than 10 minutes before going to bed and they were BLACK. When I complained, they looked at me like I had horns. Too bad I hadn't read all the reviews before staying there.

Nanaimo, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Wow! What else can you say about a place that absolutely nickel and dimes you to death. $3 more for a site with a fire pit, $3 for a 6 minute shower, $7 for firewood, $8.50 to swim in the pool. I was dumbfounded when we checked in (late at night on a Friday on our way through back to Vancouver Island) and began to openly laugh at and eventually ridicule the folks at the front desk.

All this wrapped up in a facility nestled between the CPR mainline and Highway 1. We asked for a quiet spot (I can see you all smirking now) and it was away from the highway but right next to the train tracks. Not sure if you can get much better than this due to the nature of the valleys and the transport but the host at the front should not have presented our spot as being quieter than others.

Our first spot wasn't very level so moved to another. The site was not cleaned and the fire pit was dirty from previous guests.

The bathroom was not particularly clean and the peeling paint, poorly maintained sinks and the rest of the equipment shows a facility lacking in maintenance.

Their information on bears was lengthy which ended with a section stating that if you did not adhere to the rules then you would be asked to leave. The garbage bin we were near wus unlocked and not bear proofed. The recycling bin like wise.

The pool was just okay. Nothing really wrong with it, but not really interesting at all. That there was a charge was surprising, at first, but after you stay a few minutes you begin to get the general drift of the place.

All in all we felt over charged, nickel and dimed and just generally disappointed for the lack of value for money. Our experience with a private campground operator was not brilliant and we will continue to prefer government run or forestry campsites over private.

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

I spend a lot of time on this website and take the time to review places I've been, good and bad. This place deserves my worst rating! We were camping in our own RV, but I spoke to people staying in the cabins. Everyone I spoke to thought the place was overpriced for what was offered and all said they would not go back and would not recommend. The noisy location between the train tracks and the highway destroys any serenty you might get from the treed setting. The washrooms are large and clean, but the extra $3 for a shower (after paying FIFTY DOLLARS for a powered site with the kids) was an absolute outrage. Playground, in the words of my kids, was lame, and there was nothing else for them to do. Pools looked basic, were very expensive, and I heard they were all mildewed in the washrooms. The Porche Carrera 4S and the Cadillac Escalade in the staff parking lot just soured it all for you. We canceled our second night and moved to the Lamplighter Campground in Revelstoke. Much better. I am now going to email a link to this page to the owners!

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I can't remember the last time I had to pay to use a hotel pool...only this place is not exactly up to hotel standards! If I'm expected to pay upwards of $200 per night for a dingy faux log cabin, I would expect to have pool access no charge! HOWEVER, $35 later my kids and I could swim ONE TIME ONLY - TOWELS EXTRA!!!! Thinking about treating four people to ice creams? My bill came to $34!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please DO NOT stay at this resort. There are many more campsites/log cabins within a 50 mile radius that offer exceptional value in comparison. This blatant money-grabbing cannot be encouraged.
PS: Make sure you get your bathroom needs out of the way before 9pm as the showers and toilets are locked after this time. Need a potty break in the night...then your only option is to go into the bushes.

Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

THE GOOD: Very well kept facilities and grounds.

THE BAD: Small pool (with $32 family day rate!), smaller hot tub, pay-for showers ($3 for 6 minutes - with 2 minutes of lukewarm), no playground for children.

THE UGLY: Location, location, location. The entire location is nestled right next to the TransCanada highway and a busy train track!! If you enjoy hearing the scraping of locomotive wheels through the night or airbrakes thumping away on semi's every 5-10 minutes - then this may be your place.

You could not pick a worse location for a resort. Only the addition of a rock blasting pit or an airport runway; could this location get any noisier. Good luck trying to get a restful night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Canyon Hot Springs? Share your experiences!