“Nickel & Dimed to death ! DO NOT stay here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Canyon Hot Springs

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Revelstoke
Canyon Hot Springs
You added Canyon Hot Springs to your Saves list
7050 Trans Canada Hyw #1, Revelstoke, British Columbia V0E 2S0, Canada   |
Edmonton, Canada
“Nickel & Dimed to death ! DO NOT stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I'm sorry but to stay in my own RV with my family, I had to pay an extra person fee of $4.00 for each of my 2 kids. No firepit, guess what ? That is extra. Showers are extra, pools are extra.

The sites are TINY, they said they were pull through. NOT. We barely fit our truck and trailer in the site. we hung over on both sides a bit. And you are so close to your neighbor. For the price we paid, we should have at least had sewer.

The hot spring pools as they called them are merely just chlorine filled water pools. There is no way in hell these are hot spring fed.

Also you are right next to a train.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kamloops, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

My family and I stayed at Canyon Hot Springs this past summer for four nights. Very Disappointing facility. Trains runnning all night, $48 per night for a tight, super small spot...trailer on trailer for the more expensive service sights, $3 per 5 minute shower, pool had way to much chlorine and way to expensive for what you got. Can you say Nickle and dime you to death!! Went to take the kids for ice cream $6 for a single cone...what a joke. NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

looks like it would be nice, but isnt at all. staff is really rude. and when it comes to the pool, the staff is either perverted or just rude because we couldnt wear any swimming top that wasnt a bikini. three of our party members got kicked out, because they looked like "street" clothes, when in fact they werent. and the other three got to stay in the pool while the staff watched every move they made from the front destk until they got out. really creepy and made the experience unenjoyable. showers cost money, and so did laundry. there was a train that was immediately behind the camp sites (which were very small and not private at all), and that train came by once ever half an hour atleast. last but not least, the pool was really cold, and the hot spring water didnt feel much like a hot spring at all but a hot tub with chlorine in it....

Room Tip: Dont even bother.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Our family has travelled through the Rockies more than 30 times. Canyon Hot Springs is by far the worst accommodation choice we have made. The cabins are small, dirty, under-equipped, overpriced, and just feet from the railway. They insisted that we pay before seeing the unit. After seeing the cabin, we chose to leave. They said that they would refund the overnight amount but, of course, never did.

I know that many non-Canadian tourists stop here on their way across the mountains. It is troublesome to think that their experience with the management of this enterprise might form their view of how Canadian businesses treat their customers.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stayed here during our road trip from Calgary to Vancouver. It was a nice mid way point for us to stop and take a breather from driving. We stayed in one of the little cabins and used the hot springs. The facilities are kept clean and the place is well maintained.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

Nice overnight stay on the way through National Park but not worth more than that, very close to railway line but trains not so noisy or busy at night. Expensive site with extra charges for showers and pool!

West Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I had a vague ambition to check out the circle-of-7-hot springs in the area advertised in the BC tourism brochure, with daughter (18) and son (16); lost interest after Canyon Hot Springs.

At the desk I asked to camp for one night--$32 "for 2 people," $3 for additional person, and $10 for his tent. The fire ban was lifted so we thought we'd have a rare fire, $7 for some wood. I was feeling uneasy as she asked her list of questions while hitting cash register keys--I thought of Fawlty Towers, started to feel light-headed, smiled weakly and said, reassuring myself, "At least the pool is included! ha ha." She expressed surprised, "No, that's not us, that's next door, and it's $25.50 for a swim, but $37.50 if you want to go twice? like until noon tomorrow." I lost it and gasped "This is robbery," I looked back at the lineup of 3 behind me, "Did you hear that?? $37.50 to swim!" (I wanted to warn them, "Run for your lives!" But they seemed content). So I cut-the-comedy and paid $45 for a night of camping with NO water, NO electric, just a table.

They assigned us a spot and we drove past 100+plus empty spots and pulled up beside the only other people there--I felt silly, what if he snores? what if someone farts?, besides, the spot we had was tiny compared to the spots on either side of us--I pictured the girl who had checked us in, mortified, saying to the manager, "Oh No! You'll never guess what I just did! I put them in a one-tent spot! AND I charged them for a larger spot! AND I put them RIGHT beside the ONLY other campers! MAN do I ever feel silly! I hope they just take the next spot over, I feel so foolish!", so, knowing that she would at-some-point realize her error, we popped our tents one site further over to provide us each with a bit of elbow room. Along came another vehicle, "You're in our spot," he had the cutest little baby in his arms, "I'm sorry, but as you can see, they packed us all in to this corner in this great big empty park," so he left, he seemed some-ticked-off, and next-time I saw them the Office had put them beside the toilets and garbage bins (in this bloody-big empty park), and so I saw them pull out again. The Office staff obviously never tented, no clue.

The washroom was lit inside by some sort of motion sensor black-light, and one has to traipse over two sites on a meandering foot-path through a few bushes-in-the-face, in order to get to the bathroom, unless you want to walk a city-block to go all the way around--a sprinkle of stones for a path (something you could see with a flashlight) and trimming the trees/bushes would indicate a valid path between sites, but the set-up is meant for drivers (drive to the toilet?), whoever set it up has never tented. The women's toilet block had 3 toilets, one was overflowing (someone had a bad tummy) but seemed fixed by morning. And three sinks for running-cold-water, one of which wasn't connected to water.

We drove from our tent site to the hot springs pool and paid the $37 for a very nice swim ($2 for a locker seemed a bit steep, but the area around the pool was sprayed wet, so we stacked our clothes and towels on top of our shoes on the pool deck and didn't need to spend the $2s). I went to the Office to have them print out another windshield site-number sign, for the site-next-door (I was glad I had used debit, a bit worried that they'd just put it on my charge card for two sites ...), and he nervously said, "Don't talk to the guy whose site you took, he was mad," and we discussed his pricing policies and especially their costs, like garbage hauling is a contract AND each load is, like, $85, and his enthusiastic assistant also wanted to emphasize that costs are very high and that suppliers are reluctant to come out (for things like garbage hauling or deliveries) unless the rate is so high. He mentioned that he did do a pricing survey (which impressed me, because I show high school business students videos about researching their pricing decision), and his investigation indicated that his prices are bang-in-the-middle of the range for what he offers. I think the main thing is that HIS is a private enterprise--our favourite Katherine Lake Regional on the Sunshine Coast is $22 for a site with power and water, and bathrooms with lights, hot & cold water, and showers. Monck Prov Park in Merritt was $21 for no power or water, good toilets, but no additional charge for a 16 year old and his tent; and Enderby was $21 and $5 for an extra tent, no services, but a huge bathroom block with hot & cold showers--ALL of these places being supported rather than private. But see, no nickel 'n' diming, tenting being the lowliest target group within the market. You'd think they could just offer the straight-goods--in England I was shocked that they charge per person (same room can cost $35, or $70!, etc.), and I think this pricing policy, along with up-selling (which I think is rude), are creeping into practice here, but, while there is competition, people will prefer to not feel they have been gouged and they'll vote with their feet. (I joked that I thought the cashier's next item was to pay for parking, and the manager acknowledged that when he lived in Yaletown parking was $2.50 and now it's $8.50--leaving me with the impression that, Yes, soon Canyon Hot Springs would have a fee for parking).

I didn't notice it, but my children both mentioned the many "rules" and I overheard someone at the poolside say something about all the rules too. Only I noticed a man sitting by the hot pool, over the period we were there, kept dipping his infant's toes into the HOT pool, though she protested, where I could hardly stand the heat, and I thought a sign that said, "No infants or pregnant people in the HOT pool, use the warm pool instead!" would be a sensible one! because I really think he thought the warm pool would be cold, poor little baby. In summary I think the proprietors are trying to make the venture profitable, but to run a camp ground you really have to be, Number 1, interested--like, in camping. And you have to understand the needs as well as expectations of each of your target group's, and even the history of camping, like, simplicity, integrity, elbow-room. My opinion is that, for the long-run, nickel 'n' diming isn't nearly as good a strategy for making money as are repeat customers and word-of-mouth recommendations.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Canyon Hot Springs? Share your experiences!