“In Great Hands” 5 of 5 stars

Useful Information: Activities for older children
Surrey, Canada
“In Great Hands”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

On August 8 my wife and I stepped way out of our comfort zone and went kayaking. We had the pleasure of a private tour with Terry and Wenche. The two of them made us feel so comfortable that we forgot our fears and any anxiety we may have had. As the other reviews indicate, they both have a very calming influence and the ability to make you feel TOTALLY at ease - like you've kayaked for years.
Terry had just found a new route the day before and guided us on an absolutely amazing cruise through clearings on the floodplain until we came out onto the Columbia River. The views of the mountain sides, ski slopes, flooded railway track bed and the distant view down the river are nothing short of spectacular. The scenery absolutely takes your breath away. All of these are quietly captured by both Terry and Wenche as they paddle effortlessly in front, beside and behind you.
And YES, the granola bars are to die for. What a great snack as we all linked our kayaks together and gently floated sideways down the river. This was just another chance to learn more about the area and views we were experiencing.
It was such a calm day when we were out that you could only tell there was a current by seeing the grass under water gently bending to the side. Not a ripple on the surface. By travelling through the calm grassy area up stream to the entrance to the river, then drifting and paddling with the river current we didn't even break a sweat the whole trip.
We agree with everyone else, this is a MUST when visiting the Revelstoke area.
Our thanks to Terry and Wenche

Visited August 2013
Terry B, Owner at Natural Escapes Kayaking, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time and energy to share your experience with us. It is especially gratifying to hear that, in spite of feeling very hesitant about kayaking your first time, you had such a good initial experience. We really try to help novice paddlers get over their nervousness by helping them develop the necessary skills to feel comfortable in their boats while paddling. Thanks again for spending time with us and we hope that you will continue to enjoy kayaking in the future.

36 attraction reviews
“Terry -ific !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Lets start at the beginning ... this is the first thing you should do if you are in Revelstoke. Terry, who is a star, has lived and worked in Revelstoke for over 30 years. He is not one of the many seasonal workers that live here, so therefore during your kayaking you can learn everything you need to know for your stay. Forget the tourist information, get your information for someone that has lived and breathed the area. Now for the kayaking, it is fabulous. It is everything you want it to be. It is picturesque beyond words, it is serene and you can relive it everyday as Terry takes photos the whole way and posts them for you to download within 24 hours. He makes most of his own kayaks, takes about 140 hours apparently and many have Norwegian names. We didn't spend any time with his wife, but what I can say is she bakes great granola bars that he pulled out half way around to feed us. What can I say about the man himself that hasnt already been said in he reviews ?? Well perhaps what can say is that we took young kids kayaking with us in double canoes and they had a ball. Terry (who was until recently a school teacher) has such a great mannerism with them that all of our reservations of kids in a kayak evaporated instantly. Within minutes he had them decked out in captains hats and shades, practicing their moves on the boat launch before we even got in our kayak. He constantly encouraged them throughout our trip, which made our trip much easier (after all you are dragging an additional 60 -100lbs !)

So let me leave this where I started. When you look for activities to do in Revelstoke, this should be your #1 for two reasons:
1) It is a great activity with picturesque views, great photo opportunities and you will meet some great people.
2) You will learn more about what you need to know for all your other activities in Revelstoke from someone that is unbiased and knows the area like the back of his hand.

Thanks for a great experience.

Visited August 2013
Terry B, Owner at Natural Escapes Kayaking, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your kayaking experience with our company. I really enjoyed meeting you and your family and had a great time out on the water with everyone. Thanks again for your kind words and for taking the time to write such a great review of what you experienced. I hope that we will get a chance to meet again in the future.
Airdrie, Canada
“Life Changing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Okay...I have nothing but positive things to say about Terry and his wife (I so wish I knew how to spell her name because she is AWESOME!). I went on a stagette with 5 other girls and we were all excited, but two of us were scared out of our minds (myself included). The fact that I had to sign a waver didnt put my mind at ease. Terry immediately made me feel confident and safe in their hands. He told jokes to lighten the mood and had nothing but positive encouragement for our group (which made us even more confident in our abilities (or lack there of)). He took us to a beautiful spot on the river and we hiked to a water fall where we had so much fun posing for pictures, and cracking jokes. He helped us down to the base of the water fall so we could taste some pure water and get some amazing photos. We came back out to find that a storm was coming, and quickly too...but never once did they make us feel scared or concerned. We paddled hard and got soaked, but had the most amazing time. I for one have decided to try and make this a hobby of mine and would love to come back out again. Terry also made the best...and I mean THE BEST granola bars EVER! They were both so knowledgable about our surroundings, were beyond patient, and willing to do whatever it took to make my bacholorette party the most memorable time of my life. I never in a million years will forget listening to the echoes of our screams off the mountains, "rockin' rollin'" on the river and especially, the liberating feeling of getting over my fears and finding freedom on the water...nor will I forget Terry and his lovely wife (again...wish I could spell it!!!).

Visited August 2013
Terry B, Owner at Natural Escapes Kayaking, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about your experience kayaking with us Kalyan. Both Wenche(pronounced Venka) and I had a great time with you and your Krew. After the tour we both commented to each other how you had overcome your initial anxiety and how your skills improved to the point where you handled your boat like a seasoned paddler. We hope that you continue to kayak and enjoy it as a future valued activity. Hope to see you again some time in the future.
Wenche and Terry
Dublin, Ireland
“Don't miss this!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

It so nice to get the chance to write such a genuinely positive review.To start, Terry that runs the business is a thorough gentleman.His sincerity in making sure you enjoy your trip with him is evident from the moment you meet him.My wife and I spent an idyllic afternoon paddling around floodplains adjacent to the Columbia river with him and to say it was the highlight of our two weeks in Canada would be an understatement.If your near Revelstoke, do not miss this one!!!

Visited August 2013
beitmerevy, Owner at Natural Escapes Kayaking, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thanks for your feedback Leo. We really try to make your experience with us the best we can to help you have a great memories of our beautiful natural environment. Hope to see you again.
Bristol, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Incredible experience, exceptional service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Took a 2 hour kayak tour while on Moose Travel trip. Terry has made the kayaks himself and they're beautiful. Trip started with some basic but excellent tuition before heading out. The views were incredible and Terry is friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable. He also takes loads of photos which can be accessed free online.

Visited July 2013
Great to hear you enjoyed the photos. One of our goals is to make sure you not only have some great views of our mountains and lakes but also to learn some solid paddling skills as well. Thanks for taking the time to review your experience with us.