“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa

You added The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9805 Seaport Place, Sidney, British Columbia V8L 4X3, Canada   |
Special Offer
Stormy Weather Special
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sidney
Vancouver
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

Booked into Sidney Pier for a two night relaxation getaway during the week. Our goal was to do a whole lot of nothing. We booked relaxation massages at the spa the first day and facials the second. Enjoyed both treatments and found the staff to be excellent.

The hotel itself is very modern in design and the room we stayed in (Promenade room) was perfect with a double soaker tub and seperate shower, nice linens etc. Actually found the nightside lights (which reflect little stars onto the ceiling) quite charming and ok to read by. The flat screen tv is positioned perfectly to view from the bed, which was great as we wanted to watch our Canucks one of the nights. The big shortfall for me was in the hotel's HVAC system. Similar to many big hotels, the heating and cooling system is centralized and pumped into the room via fans. I found the constant humming to be rather annoying and not conducive to creating the 'peace and quiet' we were looking for. Other than that, this place is aces - which includes the waterfront restaurant; our meal was one of the best I've had in over a year (and we are self confessed foodies).

• Liked — Waterfront view, new modern design, lux bathrooms, spa, restaurant
  • Disliked — Noisy heating and cooling system
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

We stayed four nights in this very new facility. In some ways, its chic, modern style is incongruous with the rest of the rest of the small town, which seems to have a decidedly geriatric populace (apparently Sidney is a known retirement destination).

My spouse and I came here on a long weekend with the specific purpose of "doing nothing", other than reading, taking walks, and generally lazing around. The hotel was well suited to this. It is located on the water, at the end of the main street, and a few steps from the shoreline walk.

We had a "Promenade King" room (see pics) which was quite comfortable and immaculately clean. My only (minor) complaint would be that the lighting was a little dark, making reading somewhat a challenge after sunset. We mentioned this to the front desk, and they knew of this problem and were working to fix it.

We dined one night at their restaurant -- and enjoyed it very much. They do the "local, seasonal" thing well, and the service was enthusiastic.

If next in Sidney, I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Clean & modern
  • Disliked — Room lighting too dim
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2007

Stayed for Business it was amazing. Only cost me 110 a night and the room was beautiful, I even had an ocean view on the deck. I would expect to to pay around 250 for a room that I stayed in. Best hotel in Victoria area I had to do work in Downtown Victoria but I chose to stay out here because its so nice. Amazing setting too!

• Stayed November 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2007

This was an unexpected surprise (except for previous reviews). It was top-notch both in decor and service. We could not understand why such a nice hotel was located in Sidney. The rest of the town is not much. (We never found the numerous bookstores noted in some guide books). Sidney is cute, and they've certainly kept it tidy. However, the hotel seemed out of place. One of our hosts on the SJ islands suggested that they are probably gearing up for the Vancouver Winter Olympics. We enjoyed our stay and would readily return!

Stayed September 2007
Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2007

We only stayed one night and regretted that we didn't have more time. The hotel is fabulous and the staff are great. It is well situated and the town of Sidney was also a wonderful surprise.
We will be staying at the Pier again.

• Liked — Room and view
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

We stayed at the Sidney Pier for one night in September prior to heading over to Salt Spring Island for a wedding. I only wish that we could have stayed longer -- and plan to stay there again on our next trip out to Vancouver Island.

We were greeted politely at the reception, and rapidly checked into our room. Despite staying in one of the least expensive rooms in the hotel, the room was amazing -- attention to detail was fantastic. I particularly enjoyed the extremely comfortable bed, the extended suitcase shelf and the view of the water. The bathroom was gorgeous -- I would like to move it into my home, with the spacious rainshower. Also, the toiletries were really nice -- I have completely forgotten the name and would love it if someone could enlighten me. I think they referenced Salt Spring, maybe. :-)

Breakfast also was great -- I liked the continental buffet in combination with the eggs benedict.

My only complaint was with the spa -- not precisely a part of the hotel, so I haven't downgraded the rating. I called in the morning and was really excited when they could fit me in for a quickie manicure in my tight pre-wedding schedule. I then went down to the spa and waited for 35 minutes past my appointment time -- I ended up getting an extremely rushed mini-manicure. So I might, in future, go elsewhere for these sorts of services, or plan them only for a day with a lot of time.

• Liked — Very peaceful and beautiful room with lots of attention to detail.
  • Disliked — Spa snafu.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Lake Charles, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

We were passing through Sidney on our way back to SeaTac Airport and only stayed there for one night. The hotel and staff were so great we would have liked to stay longer. The hotel is contemporary in design and we found the decor very nice and calming. We had a balcony which overlooked the Cannery, but we also had a nice view of the sea. Loved the single serve coffee machine once we figured out how to use it. The hotel has free covered (underground) parking which is something I've never seen at a hotel of this caliber. It is less than 5 minutes from the Anacortes Ferry. We had dinner at the Rumrunner Pub. It was the best meal we had on our trip. We would like to go back to Sidney some day and look forward to staying at the Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa again.

• Liked — Decor, View, Friendly Staff, Convenient to Ferry & Resaurants
  • Disliked — No (free) Continental Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!