“Surprisingly, Japanese in Sidney” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #54 of 77 Restaurants in Sidney
Cuisines: Japanese
Mississippi
“Surprisingly, Japanese in Sidney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Japanese is one of my favorite genres, so I try to stop at a place like this wherever I go (especially Tokyo, but that's another review session). I wasn't terribly hungry, so I had miso soup, sashimi, and sake. The service was very attentive and friendly, and the food was of solid quality.

Particularly, try the surf clam sashimi. I've never had that anywhere else, but it's a sweet and tender alternative to octopus. All told, the experience was a good one. If you like classic Japanese, you won't be disappointed.

Visited August 2013

Victoria, BC
“It's ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Just ok. We had the dinner buffet. Too expensive for what you get. We probably won't
Be back. Service was good tho. Didn't really have any idea what we were
Eating.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Victoria BC
“Just Can't Make Sushi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Review of Saturday night bufffet:

Sushi rice should be individual grains that stick together with a hint of sweet vinegar in the taste. I'm sorry, but this restaurant can't make sushi rice properly, and that mush that the fish sits in/on ruined the sushi for me. If you want real sushi, go to an a la carte restaurant or go to Victoria to Shiki sushi. This is the quality of sushi you would typically find at a Chinese buffet (although with a wider selection), not an authentic Japanese restaurant.

Their hot (warm) foods are generally better. The oyster motoyaki doesn't appear to have anything oyster beyond the shell -- just frozen peas and corn drenched in Japanese mayo baked in an oyster shell. The snow crab was good, though, and if you stick to the crab and other hot food it could make for a reasonably good dinner.

Hadn't been here in years, a group was going so I tried it again. Will probably not be back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
BC
“Saturday night buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Very nice experience. I love Japanese food and was looking forward to trying this place and the buffet. I enjoyed the variety of foods offered including the not so traditional dishes that we got to try. Service was wonderful with a super friendly waitress who was also very informative. If you need to know what something is just ask, they would be thrilled to fill you in. Definitely a place I would eat at again next time we are in town. Thanks for a fun evening.

Visited March 2013