“Just Awful!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Nimpo Lake, Canada
“Just Awful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I really, really wanted to try the buffet at this restuarant while we were down on our once a year trip to Victoria. First, it was no longer on Resthaven but we found it on the main street in Sydney. It was closed, and wouldn't be open until the next day, January 3rd. We reworked our shedule for that Friday since it would be our only chance to try it and met with friends there just before noon. First of all, the place really smelled old and stale and kind of like urine. I think if they were going to move into new digs they should have repainted and maybe replaced the old flooring.
It didn't matter to me because I was sure the food would be terrific. It wasn't. It was bloody awful! I don't even know what that mess in each buffet container was supposed to be. Oh wait, I recognized the chicken wings. Otherwise, the soups had little flavor and the other dishes had even less. One of our friends said it wasn't so bad if you went back up and put a bunch of hot sauce and other flavorings that they had at the end of the buffet table on the food. I tried that and it honestly didn't improve it one bit. Now it just tasted gross with spicy hot sauce on it. I felt especially badly because we invited our friends there but they insisted on paying for it. Frankly, that meal was not worth two cents much less over $12 per person. I can't recommend it to anyone!

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

57% Recommend
British Columbia
“New location. Terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We showed up right on time for our reservation only to be told they had no record of it. The place was full and we were asked to sit at the bar. Half an hour later after being completely ignored, we were shown a table. Another half an hour and a waitress came with menus. Our order taken, we waited another half hour, again being completely ignored, one of four dishes we ordered arrived on it's own. No explanation or apology. It took 90 minutes in all from the time we arrived until our meal finally arrived. Needless to say, we have no idea how the food was given the disgraceful service. I accept that the restaurant was full and this was a new location, but we were treated with no respect. Certainly we won't return. If this place doesn't get their act together quickly, they won't have any customers to ignore.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Great Lunch Buffett”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I rate this average because I've had take-out dinner here and it's way overpriced for the quality of the food. That said, they do a $12 all you can eat Lunch Buffett that is great.

Also, the two women who run this place are so sweet and friendly that I want them to succeed. I just wish they'd put their prices in-line with the quality of the food.

Visited October 2013
Victoria, Canada
“Nice staff not a substitute for quality food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have had several meals at Thai Corner, primarily due to work-related lunches that are social in nature. The owner and her staff (typically her family) are lovely.

However, our food is erratic. At times, the portions are incredibly tiny, thus making the prices seem outrageous. Indeed, the served plate can appear to be a huge mound of rice with little else. The cook also does not appear to understand "mild" requests for some of the items on the menu. The spring rolls are terrible.

We have not tried the buffet because there are no vegetarian options on the buffet.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Victoria, BC
“How Lucky can a Neighbourhood Get?!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Thai Corner restaurant is a tiny establishment on Resthaven Drive in north Sidney. We found them at the Sidney Summer Market last summer, and have watched them get busier and busier as word has spread of their delicious moderately priced Thai food.
Eat In or Take Out - you will not be sorry!

Visited May 2013