“Tonight's meal was very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 77 Restaurants in Sidney
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“Tonight's meal was very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We have been customers to Fish on 5th in Sidney, for about 10 years. We used to have dinner there once a week.......and recommended the restaurant to everyone! The food was always perfect, the place spotless, and the staff was fantastic.
We really can't say all of that anymore. Our dinners at the restaurant are very infrequent now, due to disappointment in the food quality, amount, price changes, and unfortunately the attitude and dress choices of the staff. We have been very disappointed several times. It's become expensive and not very enjoyable.
Tonight's dinner was really terrible. We paid $27+ for way-overcooked fish, and fries. The fish was "chewy" if you can picture that. The fries were hard! The coleslaw had way too much sauce in it. My tea was good, but served in that silly teapot without a lid, so the second cup is cold. The restaurant did not have that clean, good food smell to it either!
Our young lady server was the brightest spot in the dinner outing. She is brand new, and was very polite, careful to get our order right, and cheerful. I regret I didn't note her name, but she is also a lifeguard at Panorama!
Please do something to return this great place back to its "old days" quality. We will try one more time..........and if it's not improved, that'll be unhappily it for us. Sorry, Diane & Chuck

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Great fish and chips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great fish and chips located about five minute walk from the main harbour in Sidney British Columbia. The patio is roomy but not much to look at other than pedestrians. Definitely will visit any time we're in Sidney.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Good fish & chips, but needs a good clean!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I recently travelled to the island with friends and stopped in for fish & chips on our way to the ferries. I had halibut & fries, my friends had haddock. The service was decent even though the place was packed. Our food arrived hot and was tasty, but fish portions were small. My friend had a salad with hers and had a few mouthfuls, but wasn't overly impressed. Our server was a young man who was very attentive, although looked slightly frazzled. (long weekend rush?)

The décor is funky, and I enjoyed taking in all the art/decorations. It did look, in my opinion, in need a good clean. The menus were grubby, (I ordered mine without looking at the menu), the floors sticky, and the bathroom smelly.

I did give an overall rating of 4 stars based solely on the food and our friendly server.

One piece halibut with fries and a glass of beer, including tax and tip, $20.00.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Powell River, Canada
“not bad, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This has been the go to place for me for a number of years. Excellent fish and chips, great salads etc. But I agree with some reveiwers that the quality and service has slipped a bit. On our recent visit, my parent had fish and chips. They were ok but a bit soggy. I had the oyster burger (because the wonderful fish salmon candy salad isn't on the menu anymore) and the bun was stale. Service was a little slow, considering at the time, there was only about 4 tables. It may have been an off day, and I will go back and give the place another chance.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oliver, British Columbia
“FUNKY on FIFTH!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We entered the restaurant and our immediate view was of the large vats used in their frying process. The stench of hot oil permeated the place. There were tables beyond the entrance but we opted for the outside deck to alleviate the odour.
We were issued 3 grubby menus and that was it. No water although it was a very warm evening.
The deck was shaded but badly in need of a paint job. We observed meals coming and going. The servers all appeared to be teenagers with no one older in charge. Having waited for over 20 mins. we got up to leave when a harried young woman arrived to take our order.We decided on a glass of wine each and then ordered the Halibut with half green salad and half fries. We then waited another 15 mins. for the wine alone to arrive. Eventually our food orders arrived - a disappointing small piece of fish atop warmish french fries and the "green" salad consisted of grated beets and carrots. The dressing had run into the bottom layer of chips - a soggy mess!
No one available to voice our complaints to. We couldn't wait to get out of there!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere