“Will definitely be back.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 73 restaurants in Sidney
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Victoria, Canada
“Will definitely be back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I don't get out to Sidney very often but had heard through the grapevine good things about this funky little restaurant. I actually went in for another reason but since it was 5 decided to stay for dinner. I found it comfortable and liked the casual, interesting decor. There was just the cook and one waitress there but they were both very nice and friendly. While I was there a couple of people came in and ordered takeout and waited probably 10 minutes or so and then were out the door. There was only a couple of tables occupied when I got there but was filling up by the time I left. I had the grilled halibut which was cooked perfectly and delicious, along with 1/2 green salad and 1/2 fries. The salad was very good, better than your basic side salad. Several different veggies including beets and sprouts. I really like the fact you can get the fish either grilled or deep-fried. I don't eat fries very often but thoroughly enjoyed these. As for the perfect person complaining about a waitress forgetting to give the order to the cook, it's called life, these things happen. I can't imagine not returning because of that. The next time I'm in Sidney there's a very good chance I will be stopping in there again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

61% Recommend
Lake Cowichan, Canada
“deep fried everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

The quality has suffered over the years but how can you go wrong with deep fried cheese stuffed olives or mars bars ?

Visited July 2012
Snowflake, Arizona
“A must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Really good food. Try the deep fried olives, they are something special. Reminds me of the way shops use to be. Fast food without being fabricated.

Visited September 2012
Sidney, Canada
“SLOW, SLOW, SLOW AND MORE SLOW”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Never go there anymore because of slow service. My daughter and her friend went there, waited and waited - and it turned out that the server had forgotten to hand in theiur order to the cook!

Vancouver Island
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Ask a local and they will tell you that the place to go for fish is Fish on 5th. We dine there every time we visit Sidney. But the restaurant seems to have gone downhill. Never much of a place for decor or atmosphere, at least you could count on the food. Not this time. We were seated at a table that was pushed up right beside the counter where plates are cleaned off. While waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for our food, we watched leftovers being scraped into the garbage, all within inches of our faces. Also saw a bottle of cleaning product sitting beside food about to be served. And while we waited for 30 minutes to get a glass of water (served room temperature), we watched the staff pouring themselves drinks and helping themselves to food from the back room. The strangest site was watching someone fill a glass full of whipped cream from a can and then proceeding to eat it! When the food finally arrived, it was average at best. We won't be back.

Visited September 2012