“Not all it's cracked up to be.” 3 of 5 stars

At The Harbourfront Bed & Breakfast Inn
123 Pierce Street, North Sydney, Nova Scotia B2A 1P4, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in North Sydney
Ottawa, Canada
“Not all it's cracked up to be.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'm not sure just who the 16 people were that gave this place an excellent & very good, (friends? relatives?) - we found it average at best. Gloomy & dogged eared, mismatched furniture & linens, we were glad we'd booked for just one night. So-so breakfast.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Harbourfront123, Owner at At The Harbourfront Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
I am very sorry i was unable to meet your expectations, but I do try to provide good value to my guests. The breakfast of meat, eggs, cereal, yogurt, bread product, jam and juice tends to meet the requirements of most of my guests. I am sorry it did not meet yours. I am trying to make aesthetic improvements at the property this year and I hope the coming year will allow me to do my best to meet my visitors needs.

Sorry, late in responding but time is mostly dedicated to doing my best for you

Heather

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
burton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

You only have to get 2 things right when you run a bed and breakfast. A good bed is essential and we did not have a good bed at the Harbourfront. Our host was helpful, breakfast was good, the room was pretty, but the bed made it impossible to get a good nights sleep. It was also very warm and a fan would have been helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

You are right regarding the matress being the prime item for a facility such as this. I have found the choice of a matress to be very subjective. One guest will prefer firm, another likes one the sink down into. For this reason, if you have a preference, please let the owner know and I know that an effort will be made to meet your needs. Regarding, those I have to offer, FYI - I am making upgrades each year, with this year being no exception.

Also, if you need a fan, hairdryer, or any other travel need, I would suggest you inquire if it is available. Most of us try to make sure we have, even though each room is not automatically equipped with each item.

It was a pleasure having you as a guest. I hope this respose has helped and I hope your future travels are enjoyable.

Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Very good value: our room was quite large, with a private new bathroom. Everything spotless. Heather was a very kind and always busy host :-)! Breakfast not that bad. Some good restaurants in North Sydney. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
It would be my pleasure to have you visit again.

St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Like others, I was a little skeptical about what we would find with a B&B for $80 - we were surprised. Heather (the host) was super friendly and accomodating! The Harbourfront was a great place to stay. The room was very clean, with a newly finished bathroom. The decor was a bit old fashioned, but the bed was comfortable and we had everything we needed. The breakfast was good - eggs, toast, fruit, coffee juice. For us that was more than enough! We will definitely stay there again if we are ever in the area - great value! oh and if you are taking the ferry, it is literally right across the road - very handy access!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We had a front room on the second floor with a wonderful view of the harbor and all of the activity associated with the Newfoundland ferries. Room was very comfortable, breakfasts were quite good and it turned out to be a great place to meet interesting people on their way to Newfoundland. The hostess, Heather, could not have nicer and more welcoming.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Room was very small, bed was lumpy. The breakfast was basic. Heather was a good host. The approach to the property was uninviting both front and rear. Not well organized and appeared to be nickel and diming everything.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for your input. FYI - We are working on upgrading beds and exterior improvements for 2013.

Regards,

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I was a little skeptical about staying at a b&b with 5 and 7 year old kids but the Innkeeper (Heather) was very accommodating and welcomed our family with open arms. Even when we didn't show up until 11pm at night. Heather seemed like the type of lady who would treat her guests as if they were part of her family.

The whole place was very clean and well cared for. We stayed in a room on the main floor that had 2 queen beds and a bathroom with a shower. The room couldn't be more perfect and my wife went nuts snapping pics of the room when she first walked in.

Breakfast was very good and satisfying and was a very well balanced meal.

The area where the b&b seemed very nice and was only a couple of blocks from the NFLD ferry. We just parked our car at the front curb and everything was fine.

I would take my family there over and over and we plan on staying the night again on the way back from NFLD.

Ron

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I would be pleased to have you stay again. As a grandmother who sees her little ones so seldom, it is always my pleasure to have little ones as my guests. Your were a pleasure.

Heather

Been to At The Harbourfront Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!