“Definitely recommend.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dove House Bed and Breakfast

You added Dove House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Dove House Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   108 Queen Street, North Sydney, Nova Scotia B2A 1A6 , Canada   |
Ranked #5 of 6 North Sydney B&B and Inns
“Definitely recommend.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

CLEAN! QUIET' Spacious rooms in large, beautiful house. Overlooks bay & convenient to NS ferry to Port aux Basque, Nfld.. Welcoming hosts helped with bags on rainy night & prepped custom breakfasts for 4 guests.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The B & B was super clean, very comfortable bed, private washroom and convenient to restaurants and downtown. We enjoyed relaxing in the sitting room and the breakfast was delicious! Thank you for your hospitality and we will want to book there again on a return visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Barrie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Our group required a little extra space and the Dove provided a separate house, just a few doors down the street.

It was a lovely house with spotless laminate floors, a well appointed bathroom and two bedrooms, each with a queen bed. Fresh towels and linen were delivered daily and breakfast was available at the main house.

All of our requests and questions were answered promptly and politely. Was my best stay ever in North Sydney.

We had two tween with us and arrangements were made for sleep beds for them at no extra charge.

Room Tip: If you need more than a single room inquire about the availability of the separate house
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New Port Richey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

I booked this B&B well in advance, knowing that the Ferry departed at 10:00 AM and we had to be there 2 hours early. I rec'd a confirmation from Helene promptly advising me that payment was either cash or travellers cheques. On arrival, I was very impressed with the B&B. It was designed and built to be a B&B. Spacious, open kitchen and dining area, very inviting and we were able to eat our take-out supper there. Breakfast was excellent with many choices offered. The bedroom was large and well equipped and there is a sitting room complete with television, DVD and radio. We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked there after our return ferry trip. Blair and Helene are gracious hosts and we would certainly stay here any time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

My stay was mercifully short and never would be repeated. This hostess must have given up integrity when she opened for buisness. She knew I had made a mistake in ringing her door bell. I had book for a different location and this woman lied and instead of directing me to the correct location she said I had booked with her. Well, I felt stuck with this location so I stayed. The room was freezing, they were saving on heat, in December: and the breakfast was meager indeed. But the topper of the nightmare was the hostess. I needed access to a phone and discussed this with her at 730 am, while trying to choke down a dry boild egg for breakfast. ( oh that was yummy) while she shreaked at me, I sat at the table and actually held my hands over my ears, hoping she would have a glimmer of self awareness about her behavior and shut up, She did not !. All calls to the B and B go to her cell phone, so lets all hope the quests never have an important incoming call. Suffice it to say I could not wait to leave this B and B and never would return

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dove1995, Owner at Dove House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 20, 2010
This lady emailed me requesting a reservation for 3 days. I quoted her a price of $60 per night total. She is the one who came to my door and said she had a reservation at Aaron's Dove House B & B and I had received the email from her the week before and she confirmed the price quoted per night was $60, so why would I think she should be somewhere else. Also, I gave her the Harbour Master's Chambers with an ensuite bath for the price of a room with a shared bath. She got an $80 room for $60 per night. If she had told me she had made a mistake and was booked somewhere else, I would have refunded her money. As far as breakfast, she does not eat meat, bread, yogurt, cereal, etc. It was her that asked for boiled eggs and coffee only. I would have been happy to give her a regular breakfast. She was travelling with a Blackberry but did not want to use it for business. She had given our business number to a company overseas that she works for and said the calls are usually several hours long. This is a Bed and Breakfast with one phone line that could not be tied up with one phone call for three hours. Our house phone rings through to my cell phone that way if a guest needs to make a phone call they can do so on the house phone and I can still get my reservations. Also, if someone calls for a guest we give them the message and they can return the call. She would have been better off at a hotel/motel where she would have had a phone in her room to do business. As far as the heat goes the temperature was set on 25. It is unfortunate that you usually only hear the negative comments. I have been in business for 16 years and have received gifts, thank you cards and letters from all over the world. Repeat and referrals are a big part of our business.
alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the dove on our last night on Cape Breton. When we started our trip around the Cabot we saw it from the road and thought it a nice looking place for our departure day. We where bang on with our 'book cover' judgment.
We did the trail after the island kinda shuts down for the season. They gave us an off season rate and the place is spotless. The host and hostess are very chatty, I like that. Two other guests, mom and daughter that where there also where repeat customers they go there regularly as the mom is visiting her mom in hospice. That was good sign. They also travel alot.
The room was nicely appointed, very comfortable bed. The only thing I really did not like was the shower curtain around the tub. I forgot to tell the owner to fix that design. It is a wrap around over a pedestal tub. That shows how much of a concern it was. I forgot.
Breakfast was bright and cheery, good chat around the table. We left to go visit the mine feeling very rested and ready to fly out later. We will use them if we ever visit the island again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

The accommodations are lovely. Our room was spacious and very well kept. Everything seemed to be recently renovated. The website should really be redone, since the accommodations were much nicer than the pictures suggest.

However, our experience was not a good one. We arrived later in the evening (11:00). I had let them know this twice before, as their website advertises that they welcome late arrivals and early departures due to the NL ferry (which we were taking the next morning). We were shown to our room and pretty much went right to sleep, as we had a one year old and four year old with us. We had scheduled an early breakfast (6:00 AM) as we had to catch the ferry. We got out of bed at 5:40, got dressed and woke our children about ten minutes later. Well, about five minutes after that a furious guest from downstairs banged on our door and pretty much told me off in "no uncertain terms" for "hooting and hollering" and "making a racket". When I got downstairs for breakfast, the owner told me that she had been having problems with that guest for the past few nights (complaints about noise, etc.). The part that makes me angry is that when the guest first came flying out of her room, enraged at our supposed noise, she first approached the owner who was in the kitchen starting breakfast. And instead of the owner dealing with the issue right then and there (i.e. telling the angry guest that she would handle it), she instead let her come up over the stairs and tell us off. The professional thing to do was to handle it herself. As it turns out, we found out from the owner later that this woman had complained about almost everything and especially about the noise of other guests, as well as the owner making early breakfasts, etc. Basically this woman was unreasonable and the owner explained as much to me. However, when it came time to tell this woman that, she instead let her bang on my door and tell me off. We were shocked, as we truly had not mad any noise at all. How much noise can you make getting dressed in fifteen minutes?

As well, the owner seemed put out with us, saying that she didn't know we were coming with small children. I had clearly told her who we were coming with two kids, since i deliberately asked for a room big enough to accommodate 4 people and which would be big enough for a pack and play crib. I mean really ,did she think we were going to try and hide an infant and a toddler just to save the ten bucks on the rate?

The whole experience left a very bad taste in our mouths. The house was beautiful but the owners could use some tips in running a successful, organized and welcoming B&B. We will definitely not be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Dove House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!