“Don't be fooled by appearances” 5 of 5 stars

(902) 895-0234
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 81 Restaurants in Truro
TN
“Don't be fooled by appearances”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

NIcer on the inside than out. We had the Fish & fries and the Digby scallops and fries. Order at the counter and they bring it to you when it's ready. Service good. Nothing fancy here - just plain ol' good food!

• Visited August 2012

“Better than Murphy's!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

I've tried Murphy's and shilleagh's. Her fish and chips are better! It's the whole package! The fish is similarly fantastic at both places, but here's the crucial difference: chips and price! The fries here are gorgeous, fresh cut, real fries, not from frozen! My husband and I ordered the fish and chips special (I think it's always on). Order 1 two piece fish and chips and get the next half off and a ginger ale. Our bill was less than $20!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Marinette, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Best plce to eat in Truro by far!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Fish was excellent, not greasy. The handcut fries are amazing. If you like milkshakes, you should definitely try the vanilla!!! We will go back the next time we go to Truro.

Visited July 2012
Nova Scotia
“Consistently excellent fish & chips!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I regularly make it a priority to stop here on our way to or from Halifax whenever we take the trans-Canada route. We have seldom been let down, even with a change in ownership. The portion sizes have shrunk a bit over the years, however they are still very good value for money and a one piece would fill up most people. Their fish always tastes fresh and their hand cut fries are top notch, Cole Slaw is great too and I often like some fried onions with my F & C ( I know.... very different!) and they never charge me extra for a small side order. Avoid the burger though as it is more like a meat loaf - but this place is after all known for fish & chips!

• Visited June 2012
Truro, Canada
“Disappointed in Take Out Service?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I live locally and have been to The Shillelagh House many, many times. The fish and chips are, in my opinion, second only to the fish and chips at The Wild Caraway.
As a rule, I've had very good service at this restaurant, so I was a little mystified (and disappointed) with the service I received on Sunday, May 27, 2012. I stopped there on the way to my parents to pick up fish and chips to take to them. I ordered the "2 piece" to split between them because I'm familiar with the very generous portions they serve and knew the one order would be more than enough for both of them. I also ordered two pieces of their Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie to go with the fish and chips. The girl who took my order said it would be about 5 minutes, which I thought would be pretty good if they could do it in 5 minutes.
I got there a little after 4 o'clock and parked out front because I had the two grand-daughters in the car and could see them from inside. After I ordered, I slipped back out to the car and sat there for about 5 or 6 minutes and then went back inside. Since I have been there many times, I knew that when the order comes up, they have a window with two shelves that they place the order on. There was nothing there, so I went back to the car. Waited another 5 minutes and went back in, in the meantime, someone else showed up to pick up a phoned in order. I waited a couple of minutes and then put his order (2 boxes) on the bottom shelve and my order (1 box) on the top shelf. There were three girls working there and they weren't that busy, but none of them seemed to be in much of a hurry to get either order in to a bag?
Finally, they get to the other guys order, so I slip out to the car and wait for him to leave. Once he comes out, I go inside thinking mine would be in the bag and ready to go...nope, still sitting there and the three girls are all standing behind the counter doing nothing. After a couple more minutes, one of them decides to put my order in a bag and gives it to me. I have no idea what was gong on?
I'm not disappointed that I had to wait 20 minutes, as I don't think that is really an unreasonable amount of time to wait for a take out order. What really bothered me was that the food sat there for 5 minutes while they just stood around?
About the only thing I can think of is that you pay for the food when you place the order and I didn't add a tip to my credit card receipt? I'm in the habit of leaving a tip based on the service I receive, and how can I do that before I know if the service deserves a tip?

And, in this case, I did not leave a tip afterwards either.

• Visited May 2012