“Expected more... ended up with average” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #45 of 81 Restaurants in Truro
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: Just opened in June; had lunch there today; wonderful new restaurant; great food, service, atmosphere combined with reasonable price
Halifax, Canada
“Expected more... ended up with average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

The story of Saltscape's is the story of most restaurants in Nova Scotia..... they play it safe and keep in bland. The menu is fries, meatloaf, fish and chips. Really... Is this all that Nova Scotia can offer. Catering to the geriatric crowd they seem to be succeeding. The food is average. Portions size is generous. The location good. Plentiful parking. The décor and restaurant are spotless clean, warm and inviting. Service was average as the waitress was distracted by a large party she was serving. I will not be going back... I can get that boring menu anywhere.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Refused table for two at 3:45pm”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

WOW! Got off the highway after seeing their signage and wanted to try out the Cracker Barrel of the East Coast. Waited at the podium for almost 5 minutes before anyone appeared. Concerning that no one is even watching the general store! Lady asked if we had a reservation for Mothers Day and we advised no. We were NOT there for dinner but a late lunch. Restaurant was less than 10% occupied! Told that without a reservation we couldn't be seated? We saw About 4 staff moving around assisting the less than 10 occupied tables in there. Was the most Bizare thing I ever experienced at a restaurant before! So needless to say we took our business elsewhere! Moral of the story I guess call ahead if you need a 3:45pm reservation?!?

“Surprisingly Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I didn't have high expectations coming to Saltscapes, however I was pleasantly surprised by the menu and their attention to gluten friendly fare.

My mom and grandmother ordered the stew of the day, which they reported was very tasty although very thick looking with little broth.

I ordered a maple glazed chicken breast with mashed sweet potato and maple glazed carrots. The chicken breast was glazed with honey, there was no detectable maple flavour. The breasts were very dry and hard to chew. The carrots were steamed with no maple glaze. The sweet potatoes were delicious, the best part of my meal. I spread the sweet potato on my chicken to make it more palatable!

The food was piping hot and brought out by a man who seemed like he was the chef.

I had no gluten contamination effects, so bravo to the kitchen.

Overall the food wasn't bad, the service was okay. I would return for the sweet potato!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dartmouth, Canada
“Not What Was Expected.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Now I realize that Saltscapes is a family restaurant, but when you have one group of 6 being loud, and obnoxious in an otherwise almost empty restaurant it makes it very difficult to enjoy the experience. I also know that it is not uncommon for disruptive customers to be asked to behave. It is a restaurant, not their private home.

The wait staff would only assure us that they were soon leaving, which they did.

The food was very quick, even considering that there were only 3 customers in the place. The portion size was very good and the food was fresh, hot and tasty. While eating I did see the wait staff clean the tables that the obnoxious group was at more thoroughly than I'd even seen an area scrubbed before. Quite impressive for cleanliness.

The atmosphere was nice. Lots of interesting photos on the walls. The overall decor was pleasant.

Other than the wait staff not dealing with the disruptive customers and not really caring that it was disturbing others, it was a pleasant experience. Far from what I expected being a subscriber of the magazine. If it didn't have the magazine name behind it I probably would have been more forgiving. I expected exceptional and got mediocre. For mediocre it was outstanding. If that makes sense!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nova Scotia
“Traditional Fare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I found the staff to be very friendly, but the food was about average only.

I had the blackened haddock and it was well presented and had good flavour.

At the higher end of the price scale for the type of food.

• Visited February 2014