“OK for one night.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Truro
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
“OK for one night.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Very good price, but you definitely get what you pay for. The bathroom had one bar of soap, was really tiny, no shampoo, etc. Everything had soap scum and was rusting and the floors were very very dirty. The sheet on the bottom of the bed, was more like a mattress pad that was way to small, I woke up on the mattress itself. For a one night stay it wasn't too bad but I would try somewhere else first.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is a first review for me even though I had promised Rana I would do so earlier than this, I do apologize. My stay was wonderful; it was a long Easter weekend and I woke up to snow (not counting on that). Regardless, the staff here were wonderful, I didn't have a chance to order a drink or enjoy the food yet I dare say it was all the best. Remember this, it might not be a 5 star hotel, however it has 5 star pricing and accomodations. Paper thin walls do happen in ritzy places too people. I am only sorry I haven't been able to return for another stay. Looking like possibly over the Christmas season, I may be enroute in that direction again. If so, I know where I'll rest comfortably. Hats off to the Stonehouse family as that is the sense one gets from their staff.

Room Tip: Remember it is the smaller businesses that keep our economy going and employ local people. I woud e...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
fred4408689, Owner at Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We are very pleased to know that your enjoyed your stay at our motel. We look forward to seeing you at Christmas. Thank you for your kind review!!!
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed in room 22, it was very dated and not as clean as it should have been, the bathroom sink still had soap scum on it from the previous guests. When I went to have a shower at 5am the shower head was so clogged there was just a small amount of water coming out, at this hour of the morning there was nothing I could do about this. When the lounge closed there was quite a bit of noise (Nov. 1, 2012)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
fred4408689, Owner at Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
I regret that you did not enjoy your stay. I immediately replaced the shower head with a new one. I spoke with the new housekeeping staff about the importance of making sure rooms are very clean.
Prince George
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

not a destination place but it was OK, just... for an overnight stay. There is a wide selection of rooms -different sized beds, kitchen or not, smoking or not, motel style or motor inn style. We chose a room on the second floor of the "motor inn". I should have looked a little more closely -the window was broken and taped up, the kitchenette walls were really dirty and overall the kitchen and the dishes and utentials were not very clean. The room and bathroom were all right, except for one of the reading lights was just a cord and fixture but no bulb. No hair dyer. I think that it is way overpriced. The check in person was friendly enough and the wireless worked well. The room was way overheated and even though we set the thermostat to off and opened the windows and put on the air con, it was still too hot and smelled a bit like burning plastic. We couldn't figure out where the heat was coming from. The TV was very small. Even though it is just off a busy street, it wasn't very noisy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

gotta be true here , i always look for a peace and quiet place to stay. And this place was the right spot for me the owner is a nice person and the staff well they are so friendly i felt like i knew them for years. If ur looking for a fun stay wel tis the place if u looking for a queen Elisabeth place ur really off the spot. The place the people made me feel like i was home and for th at i give em a high 5. Thx guys next time soon.

• Stayed May 2012
fred4408689, Manager at Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay! Please come back again!
Fredericton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I will never darken the doors of this establishment again. I was charged the full rate when I registered, not when I checked out. I now know that before I even show my credit card I will demand to review the room before they see a cent of my money. The room was circa 1950 and that maybe generous. I have seen better furniture in a yard sale. There was no hangers, let alone a closet, and no waste basket. When I checked my credit card statement on returning home, I was charged an additional fee for reserving online. I would recommend looking elsewhere, even if it meant driving another hour down the road.

Room Tip: Should demand to inspect room before paying, they charge the room when you register, not when you ch...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
We regret that you did not enjoy your stay. The motel was booked for the whole weekend and we only had one or two of our older rooms left. Had we known that your room was missing essentials items we would have taken care of that right away. The online reservation charges their own fee for use of their service.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

My partner in crime and I were passing through Truro. After an entire day of driving, we felt it was best to find a place to rest our eyes. Most of the hotels in Truro were booked solid that night, and the ones that weren't were charging horrendously expensive rates. This was the only one with rates that we felt were fair.

As we walked up to the reception desk, we asked if we could get a key to see a room before we made our decision to rent it. The woman behind the counter replied "one minute, I have to go serve these drinks." Classic. This is as old-school as a place gets; the receptionist was also the bartender, and the door behind the counter led to the bar. It was straight out of one of those old video games like Shining Force or Zelda.

Anyway we saw the room, and it was normal. Clean and tidy, with no odors and no bugs or vermin, and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was also clean. The shower however did not come with shampoo.

We also spent some time at the attached bar(which I should add serves exceptionally low-priced drinks). If you play backgammon, the owner will challenge you. He's mighty good at his own version of backgammon, but you can beat him at the standard version if you know what you're doing.

Overall, this place was an affordable albeit spartan motel. However, if all you are looking for is an affordable, comfortable place to sleep for the night, and you're not expecting a honeymoon getaway experience(in Truro, who would be?), then this place is about as good as it gets for the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
fred4408689, Owner at Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind words. It is greatly appreciated!!! Please come back again!!!

Been to Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!