“Very, very nice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of MacKinnon-Cann Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yarmouth
MacKinnon-Cann Inn
You added MacKinnon-Cann Inn to your Saves list
27 Willow St, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia B5A 1V2, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Yarmouth B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“Very, very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

It would be perfect if it had a king size bed. Neil was a fantastic host. The Inn is beautiful top to bottom. The breakfast was cooked to order, very tasty, fresh berries, just yummy. Definitely go back to this one.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Epsom, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We took the new ferry over to Yarmouth for a one day stay in Yarmouth. The ferry ride was great, the town was beautiful but by far the highlight of our trip was our stay with Neil and Michael at the MacKinnon-Cann Inn. As soon as we saw the inn we realized that this was not going to be the normal run of the mill inn. The old Victorian was restored to perfection both inside and out. The furnishings were carefully selected to match the era of the building. Neil greeted us when we arrived and from the first minute we felt like we were visiting an old friend. He gave us the history of the building and what he and Michael had done to bring it back to life a few years ago. After settling us in he gave us several suggestions of what to do in Yarmouth during our short stay. As we headed out we met Michael on the porch touching up the paint and had a wonderful conversation with him about everything under the sun. After touring the town we returned to a scrumptious meal prepared by Chef Michael. Neil both waited the tables and entertained the guests as he served the five star meal. A great night sleep was followed by a hearty breakfast and a ride from Neil back to the ferry dock. On the ferry ride back to Portland we reminisced about our stay and couldn't help concluding that our experience at the MacKinnon-Cann Inn would be the major reason that we will return to Visit Yarmouth again in the near future.

Don and Becky

Upstate New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

What a wonderful surprise we found in store for us at the MacKinnon-Cann. We stayed overnight to catch the Nova Star ferry back to Portland in the morning. Neil was so welcoming and attentive and showed us around the Inn, including all of the rooms which are lovingly and spectacularly restored. Michael and I realized that we are the exact same age and grew up just miles from each other in the States. He ushered us into the very comfortable parlor for a very enjoyable chat. Breakfast in the morning was delicious. I would highly recommend a stay at this gem of an inn.

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed at the Inn over the first May weekend of 2014. My wife and I wanted to get away and see some beautiful scenery. Neil was a wonderful host, had lots of ideas of things to do and of the hundreds of places we've stayed in over the years this was probably the most enjoyable. We liked it enough to write a review, haven't ever done that before - so I guess we can't say more than that!

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I have been staying at the MacKinnon Cann Inn for over four years and each visit is amazing - personal touches are why I keep going back. I feel at home, Neil and Michael are always welcoming! Each room is named for a decade, the decor matches the decade. Attention to detail is PERFECT! The location is in the heart of Yarmouth and convenient.

Room Tip: Please note:There is no swimming pool and could not remove rating. Each room is amazing at the Inn...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Inn March 7 and 8, 2014. We were in Yarmouth to visit our daughter "Sharon" and her boyfriend Mark. Not expecting to find anything special in the accommodations department we were pleasantly surprised to find the MacKinnon-Cann Inn!! It is a spectacularly restored home in the centre of town. The hosts Neil and Michael were beyond accommodating, they were informative, interesting and most of all fun!! No stuffiness here! Classy and relaxed!
We stayed in the 1910 room, so comfy, everything you need at your fingertips right down to CD player! And clean clean clean!!
Breakfasts were delicious!! and no set time, we set the time! Loved that!!
We had dinner on Saturday night and it was fabulous!! Brought our own wine for a nominal corking fee! The vegetarian french onion soup was wonderful!! scollop risotto was divine and Mark even ate dessert which he normally doesn't!!
Not a complaint to make and we will definitely go back to Yarmouth soon! This Inn is a great asset to the town!! See you soon Neil and Michael!

Room Tip: we were in a room on the second floor on the front of the building and were not bothered by noise or...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Let me start by saying: Until I stayed here, I had many reservations and concerns about staying at a Bed & Breakfast, anywhere.

Neil and Michael were the most gracious and loving hosts one could ever hope for. They would stop the world from spinning if you requested it.

They have a very neat room number/design system. Every room is a decade; meaning that the room number (1910) is what we had indicates what the furnishings in the room will look like. This was really a cool idea!

When we first stepped into our room I thought, Uh-oh, no air conditioner?!?! Are they crazy?! I'll be sweating the whole night through... I didn't expect such a good night of sleep...that is for sure. BOY, WAS I WRONG! The nice breeze from the ocean kept everything nice and cool, even with elevated levels of humidity; you could feel the moisture in the air.

WIFI was available, it was quick and responsive with good signal.

The bathroom was very nicely appointed too. I am a tall guy (6'6") and found it very easy to take a shower. The bathroom had a tub, I am more of a shower person, but I would have no worries about taking a bath because Neil and Michael have made it their passion to make sure everything is perfect and clean.

The breakfast was also awesome! Neil really came through for us! My wife has a gluten allergy and we typically have to cook our own food. Neil made these awesome waffles, a most delicious parfait and some other stuff too (I am forgetting what it was at this point...7 months later). Michael came by to say hello to everyone, and the both of them made us feel like we knew them for years.

They recommended we try "The Muddy Rudder" for some good local food. We did and we were not disappointed, not at all!! You can walk to this restaurant and even the docks; what a beautiful area!

I was also a bit worried about parking on the street because where I am from that typically means some sort of damage is going to happen to your vehicle... Well, this is not a main street so the traffic down this road was minimal and people were very respectful of the speed limit.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to all of my friends and family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to MacKinnon-Cann Inn? Share your experiences!