“A Noisy, Cold, Badly Managed DUMP!” 1 of 5 stars

Bancroft Inn & Suites
528 Hastings St. N | RR#1, Bancroft, Ontario K0L 1C0, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bancroft
Toronto
“A Noisy, Cold, Badly Managed DUMP!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I don't know whether other reviewers actually stayed at the same place! My one night here in October was a nightmare. Opened the door to a small, dim, freezing room that took hours to heat up enough to take my coat off. And when it did, I was promptly joined by about 20 flies that had been warmed up out of their slumber. Also took forever to get warm water out of the sink. Outer door to the tiny balcony was without a door knob and wired shut to the frame. Finally, crawled into bed (ok, the sheets were clean), got to sleep by midnight despite the noisy traffic on the nearby highway shaking the single-paned windows, but was awakened about 2 a.m. by noisy arrival of a drunken couple to the room downstairs. (This place has a very dubious policy of providing free cab fare to a bar in Bancroft.) The woman talked so loudly, I could hear every word (every other one obscene) and when I finally yelled out asking that they tone it down, she started shouting and swearing even louder. For the next hour, it sounded like the man was trying to shush her, which also just made her yell some more. I gave up and called the office, only to find that it wasn't attended overnight. Called the "emergency" number left by the phone, and woke up a sleepy woman, who, after I explained what was going on, asked what she was supposed to do about it. When I suggested someone come back and kick them out or call the police, she decided that was the better idea and told me to call them. When I reminded her it wasn't my motel, she agreed to call the police. Whether she did or not, I'll never know as no one ever showed up. I left as soon as it was light and would recommend camping out in mid-winter rather than paying nearly $100 for a room at this dive.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
BIS_GM, Manager at Bancroft Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
I do apologize that you had so many issues with your stay. I make it my policy never to discredit other people as all feedback is valuable, even the negative, and many people have different things that they find important during their stay. In this instance I would like to shed some light on our shuttle service to the South Algonquin Cookhouse, not a bar, and the guest in question was a wedding party guest not using that service, we do so as a complimentary service to guests so that they have dining options while enjoying their stay. You unfortunately did have disrespectful guests under you that evening and I do agree that this was an issue. That is why when you called, to me personally, I stated I would be right in however if you felt that someone was in danger you could dial 911. I assure you we arrived, I did notice you were up still and in your window, we escorted the people from the property. The owner himself also stayed on site to ensure they did not return or cause any further disturbance. I do understand you were upset and justifiably so however I do assure you we handled the matter in a way we felt appropriate. Unfortunately we sometime do have situations develop however on a daily basis we do our utmost best to ensure a safe and comfortable stay for everyone.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My second stay here over the long weekend and I am continually pleased with the level of cleanliness, the helpful and fun staff and the pet friendly accommodation. The fireplaces are wonderful, the beds are real treat - very comfortable. The staff are amazing, always smiling and going the extra mile (they took a group photo on the balcony). They even gave us milkbones for our dogs after waiting behind an incredibly rude person at the front desk. Every time I require a stay in Bancroft, this is my first choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
BIS_GM, Manager at Bancroft Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am very happy that our staff looked after you and I remember working that night and checking your room in. I am glad " cracker " the dog enjoyed his treats. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This was the second time we stayed at your location.
Very comfortable and clean and also allowed pets.
A microwave was also provided at our request and provided with no issues.
Also, liked the idea where there were chairs outside as we kinda ended up having a bit of family reunion so it was great to sit outside both at nightime and in the morning and visit.
Several others came and booked rooms here at the same time because we were visiting from out of the province.

Room Tip: We were on ground floor both times and no problem with any noise or disturbance. I would highly rec...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
BIS_GM, Manager at Bancroft Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and posting your review. We are always so happy to see that our guests were able to be happy and comfortable so that the important things, like family, can be the priority while you are enjoying some time in Bancroft. See you soon...
Tammy
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Motels can be difficult to rate because it depends what you were expecting, and what you're comparing it to. My stay here (I'm writing this in my room just before checking out) has been very good, for a motel. When I arrived, they told me that due to some construction on the property I was being upgraded to a larger room that also had a fridge. Yes, a regular hotel room would likely be even bigger, and may come standard with a fridge twice as big, but I wasn't expecting a large room or a fridge, so this was a bonus to me.

The room was very clean, and kept that way during my stay. (Thank you, Renata!) I found the bed particularly comfortable, and no little critters under the mattress or anywhere else. The free wi-fi was very strong; I had no connection issues. My only concern with the room is that the air conditioner mounting leaves a 1-2 inch opening to the outside. The motel tried to use a piece of foam to seal it, but it doesn't fit properly, so you have to keep the blind down to keep out insects at night. This is not a big deal in October, but I could see it being a problem in the summer.

The free breakfast was basic--bagels, toast, yogurt, instant oatmeal, muffins, and coffee--but again other places did not offer this at all. I do agree with ItalyMar's concern about the breakfast room, which is actually the main office where people check in and out. If occupancy was full, it would be mayhem trying to get some food, wait for your bread to toast, etc. (I'd remove the small table and chairs and set it up as a longer buffet style, with the expectation that you'll eat in your room.)

The motel is a few kilometres away from town, which may be either a plus or a minus for you. You can't really walk anywhere--except maybe the new Canadian Tire and 24h Foodland down the road--but I like being away from the noise of Friday-night revellers driving up and down the street on their motorcycles and ATVs. The view from my room was spectacular (see pic) and I want the sounds to go with it.

Finally, I paid $85/night, which again might be too high for some people. My benchmark is, if it's not a full-fledged hotel, then it must be substantially less than $99/night. So 85 + free breakfast seemed pretty good to me. All in all, I would be happy to stay here again and I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor, near one of the ends. There is a single stairway in the middle of th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for the opportunity to have you stay with us. I certainly will let Renata know her hard work is appreciated. I have looked at the air conditioning issues in the window and have ordered new sleeves for the unit to make a better seal and will have them installed. And we agree too that our space can be limited in the breakfast area as it was never designed for a breakfast. I just really want to give our guests a good start to their day with a free breakfast option. I am going to remove the table and chairs and have already put serving trays out so guests can load up and enjoy the muffins, yogurt, bagels etc in the rooms as they have sitting table and chairs in there. Thank you for the great ideas and we look forward to seeing you again.
Vanier
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel several times over the years. We love the clean cosy rooms.
The balconies offer a nice place to get some air in the evenings! Loved my stay. We would recommend this hotel to anyone of my friends!
Jennifer Thrasher

Room Tip: Try for a balcony in the summer!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you. We love hearing feedback and really enjoy having repeat customers stay with us. Your business is very appreciated by us.
Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I didn’t want to rate Bancroft Inn and Suites but a notice at the reception desk invited guests to rate them on TA and so I’m rating them. Having been in Algonquin Park I needed a place to stay and the web site I usually use offered the Bancroft Inn and Suites. I expected more. Despite its name it is only a standard motel outside the center along the highway 60. The center of the town is 3 km away so they offer a free taxi service to a restaurant. The ground floor room we had was not new, the fridge was a very small one and the coffee machine was uncomfortably placed in the bathroom. This is probably due to the lack of electrical outlets in the room: finding a comfortable one for my laptop was not easy. The major problem of the motel is its complimentary breakfast. Not the breakfast itself, which is good, but the breakfast room. There is no breakfast room to have breakfast. You have the breakfast in the reception office where there are two chairs, two armchairs and a very small table. The space is really limited and more than three people are uncomfortable at breakfast time. The day we stayed there there were very few guests and I wonder how can guests have breakfast when the motel’s 30 rooms are occupied. Considering what it offers the motel is expensive. I think it charges so much because there are very few places to stay in the area. I myself had to stay here because I found no other options. I hope you can find another place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are glad you did take the time to review us. It gave us some great feedback and allowed us to see what out guests want. We have purchased serving trays and are removing sitting are for breakfast so guests can take their breakfast with them to enjoy. I do know space is limited but want to provide the extras too so your input has been very helpful. We thank you.
Ajax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just spent two nights there for my friends wedding. I was very satisfied with the room. It was clean, no scuzzy appeal. Very warm and welcoming

I also left my charger there and they contacted me and are currently mailing it to me. Truly very thankful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BIS_GM, Manager at Bancroft Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for your business. It was a wonderful weekend for a wedding. I am very glad that we were able to find your charger and get it back to you. We look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Bancroft Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!