“We were pleasantly surprised that our room had a sitting...” 5 of 5 stars

You added Chatham Travelodge to your Saves list
Chatham Travelodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Bloomfield Rd., Chatham, Ontario N7M 5J5, Canada   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Chatham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We travelled to Chatham to visit someone in the hospital. We brought our 6 month old labradoodle because dogs are allowed. Check in staff were very accommodating and upgraded our two doubles to two queens. The room spacious, clean and quiet. Front desk gave us the name of a good pizzeria.

Continental Breakfast had lots of options including pancakes. Buffer staff was very helpful

This hotel is older and dated as far as decor. Location is a bit out of the "sowntown" area. But in reality, it was clean, reasonably priced, allowed dogs and everyone was nice. What more does one need on a quick one night visit.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
SHEILA B, General Manager at Chatham Travelodge, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking a moment to share of your experience with us. We work very hard to offer a clean , comfortable & affordable room for travellers to Chatham. And we are about 8 minutes or 4.7 kms drive from our Downtown.

We are happy that we were able to meet your needs & we look forward to welcoming you again.

Sincerely
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I recently stayed, despite advice not to, at the Chatham Travelodge. I was in Chatham for business, long hard days and working late into the evening. I told myself I didn't need anything fancy, just a clean bed. After all, this was not a pleasure trip. Travelodge is far from a luxury hotel, but for $90 a night, you have no expectations of anything more than the basics. This hotel has a big sign board on the road that tries to entice travellers by boasting king and queen suites with Jacuzzis and a continental breakfast. My queen room had a Jacuzzi, which I didn't use and never would in a hotel. But the most basic aspect is where they really let me down. The relationship between traveller and innkeeper is one of trust. Travellers trust that for whatever price, they are going to at least get a clean bed to sleep in. My first night I was up late preparing a presentation for the next morning. After midnight I turned off the lights and got into bed, falling asleep instantly. When I woke up the next morning I was horrified to see that the pillow next to me had blood on it. Not a tiny drop, not an old stain that hadn't come out in the wash. A large red blotch of blood just smaller* than the palm of my hand. At first I thought it /must have come from me, so I went straight to the mirror and looked at my face--nothing, then my hands, body, again nothing. I even checked my ears! And then the horrifying truth hit me. I had slept in a bed that not only hadn't been changed from the last person, someone had bled on it. My call to the front desk resulted in an immediate "you will be compensated". I asked for someone to come up and change the bed and was assured that someone would be up right away. An hour later, still no sign of housekeeping and I had to leave for my meeting and to give my presentation. Needless to say, I was shaken and was not at my best that morning. The thought that I had slept on those sheets stayed with me all day. That night when I returned to the hotel, I really wanted to move to another place, but it was late, I was very tired, and the thought of packing up all my stuff and then looking for another hotel seemed just too much. I stopped at the front desk and asked what was being done for me. I was told that if I went to my room I would be "pleasantly surprised". That's all she would say, repeating it every time I asked what they were doing about the bedding. So up I went to my room, wondering what the pleasant surprise would be. The bed had been made, no obvious signs of soil on the sheets or pillows. There were two notes: one from housekeeping and one from the manager. Housekeeping said: "Hi Sorry about your pillow. We gave you a brand new one. :) and all new bedding too! " Seriously? like this is special treatment? the manager's note was a little better: apologetic. Except, she/he apologized "for the stained bedding". sorry, it was not a stain. It was blood and it had never been washed. And it was horrifying and disgusting to wake up with it in my bed. The manager, housekeeping, and front desk staff clearly have no clue about the fundamental trust that was violated. The night supervisor even tried to convince me that someone had sneaked into the room after housekeeping had cleaned it, took a nap and bled on the bed, without anyone knowing. Talk about shirking responsibility! Okay, there some other details about this place you might want to know: some rooms allow smoking. The hallways and elevator reeked of smoke. The rear and side entrances are not locked at night, no key pass required to access them. Lots of young dudes hanging out in the parking lot and just inside the rear door smoking in the evening. The breakfast consisted of ice cold rubbery boiled eggs, yogurt, bagels, stale cereal, and bananas. On Wednesday morning the bananas were brown. On Thursday morning they were brown and mushy. On Friday morning they were black and disgusting. It really seems like this place is suffering. I guess they are saving money by letting the food rot in place and not using water to launder the sheets. This was the absolute worst experience of my travelling life, and I am on the road 3 weeks out of every month, travelling for a living all over North America. Travelodge Chatham. Make a note. AVOID.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Please allow us to express our deepest apologies. We know that this incident was very unpleasant & distressful for you. The problem was brought immediately to the attention of our Housekeeping staff. The level of cleaning was clearly not acceptable, and we apologize that such an incident occurred. The quality of our accommodations is of utmost importance in our business and it is rare for us to receive complaints in this regard.

We acknowledge that a mistake was made and again, with your compensated night, we extend our deepest apologies.

Sheila Bateman - General Manager
Brighton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

While the rooms and service were great, we were especially surprised and pleased with the follow-up. We originally made reservations with hotels.com but later called the hotel direct to make a change in dates. The hotel cancelled our original order and rebooked us. When the credit statement arrived we had two charges: travers*hotel and Travelodge. I initially contacted the hotel where the service person provided all the information I needed (my computer died!). I then contacted the on-line provider and eventually all was solved. But, nicest of all, the service person called me to see it everything was settled. Wow!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Thank you! We appreciate your sharing of your experience. I am glad that our Supervisor was able to assist & we look forward to welcoming you again.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were in Chatham on family business and just wanted a goods night sleep. After trying a few other places in the last month we decided to go to travelodge. The front desk attendant was very friendly nd helpful and our king size room was absolutely wonderful. Bed was very comfortable, washroom and shower area were large and wifi access was great. Will definitely stay again! Thank you!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

SHEILA B, General Manager at Chatham Travelodge, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you! We're pleased that you chose to stay with us & we look forward to welcoming you again!

Sheila Bateman - Travelodge Chatham

Been to Chatham Travelodge? Share your experiences!