“Change of ownership” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Cochrane
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Change of ownership”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This motel has received negative reviews in the past and potential customers should be aware of a change in ownership and major renovations that have taken place and others that are underway.
The new operator, Navin Tamakuwala, has improved standards dramatically.
My suggested rating will likely move to 3.5* when all the work is complete.
Sandra provides the same fabulous service in Terry's Steak House on site.
No swimming pool or fitness centre. There is a hot tub.

Room Tip: Request one of the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Edmonton, AB, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

I am a prissy woman. Frugil too. Some rooms (ie116) is smelly and not redone.

Room 112 is good for the corp rate I got.

Front desk lady has been at her job too long - maybe used to dealing with wirking men .. so shes toughened but ok

Pay after you get room 112! ask to see it first. Close to tim hortons too

Enjoy !!

• Stayed May 2012
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Okay we needed a dog friendly hotel and this one is. We are in a 'non-smoking' room but I am getting chocked up by the smell. It has been sprayed with something.There are burn marks on the table. Our lab is busy smelling everything and I have found when she is really interested in a room it usually is bad news. The price is cheap $65 including tax. I might sleep in my clothes. The bathroom looks like the wall of the bath caved in at sometime in the past. Hope to never stay here again. And the sign is still missing.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ketchikan, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend were moving to Alberta and decided to drive. Because we are new graduates with little money, hotel/motels like the Thriftlodge were ideal because they costed less than the higher rated places. At first we missed the place and had to ask workers at the KFC up the road...apparently the only sign had been blown down by high winds. When we first pulled into the lots, I noticed right away that the motel was in poor condition...and I had begged my boyfriend to keep driving instead of stopping. But after inquiring about cancelling the reservation, we decided to stay because we would have to pay the full price even if we didn't stay there. Firstly, the front desk clerk was rude. When we checked in, she had apparently been eating supper and seemed irritated that we were trying to check in. She literally gave us the key and walked out of the room, no "let me know if you need help" or anything. But compared to the state of the room, the rudeness of the clerk was minimal.

The room STUNK, and it was a lingering smell that I felt seeped into my clothing. We tried to air the room out by leaving the front door open but it did nothing to help rid the odor. The room itself was dirty. The walls were coated with dirty handprints and various substances. The bathroom was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen...the toilet was grimey and the shower had mold all over the tiles. I decided to use the bathroom at the local Tim hortons rather than the one in the room. The comforters on BOTH beds were covered with visible stains and we opted to use our own sleeping bags rather than temp sleeping in the bed.

Although we were looking for a cheap place to just sleep ( we left at 6 the next morning), I felt the 80-90 we paid was a ripoff. I would have rather spent an extra 20-40 bucks and slept at the best western or another hotel/motel in the area. DO NOT COME HERE IF YOU WORRY ABOUT SLEEPING IN DIRTY CONDITIONS!! 90 bucks should have still provided some security that I wouldn't catch a disease from sleeping in the staid filled beds.

Room Tip: Faster Internet closer to the main office.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Sudbury, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Our stay at the Thriftlodge Cochrane South was ... interesting. We traveled via snowmobile - 8 hours - and at journey's end there it was. Thriftloge. Or at least we figured it was. There were no identifying marks. The sign had apparently been blown away by the wind. The room was ... there. 3 locks on the door and only one worked. The plumbing worked off and on. The smell in the room, although I couldn't identify it, I could actually taste it - but still couldn't identify it. The best things about the whole experience - the motel was across the road from the main OFSC trail system and parking was right outside the door. Oh yes, and the restaurant and staff (next door) were a welcome site. This place is in an ideal spot but really needs an overhaul. Come on Travelodge Thriftlodge. At least put a sign up and spray the rooms.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Orillia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

The price is right so don't expect high end furnishings and comfort. Location is great, right on HWY 11 as you enter town with a restaurant on site.

If you seek modern furnishings and rooms, pay more and stay at the Best Western Swan Castle.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We got the only room left. Carpet was well worn; the door frame was splintered., and the queen size bed frame had a broken leg. We slept on the double bed. Thankfully, we were only staying one night, and it wouldn't have been a pretty scene if there had been more than two of us. I asked about Wyndham Reward Points, but the clerk said it doesn't work there. Food at the restaurant next door was "no great shakes." Only open lunch and dinner. Closes early. Fenced enclosure looked like pool size, but probably filled in a long time ago.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Thriftlodge Cochrane South? Share your experiences!