“great specials, comfort pub food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 97 Restaurants in Collingwood
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
wasaga beach
“great specials, comfort pub food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

One night the special was Guinness stew with beef and root veggies, it was served inside a GIANT yorkshire pudding, it was perfect winter comfort food, my husbands meal (i think it was lamb) just as impressive. nice atmosphere pub style, definitely one of the best pubs in a 50 mmile radius

Visited September 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I have never before been inclined to give anyone a negative review for bad service. Having been in the service sector myself for years, I understand how sometimes events can result in a less than desirable experience for the customer.

However, this afternoon my wife and I finally left the Admiral's Post without having gotten any service. And the thing is, the pub wasn't all that crowded. Arriving at precisely 2:25 this afternoon (the time stamped on the parking meter ticket) we found ourselves the only ones in the outdoor non-smoking area. In the adjacent smoking section there were at most nine customers scattered over four tables, and some of them had been there for awhile.

We waited and waited. Occasionally the server would come out and bring more drinks to her customers and never once acknowledged that we were there. Did she see us? I wasn't sure so I politely stood up, hoping she would see us. She then walked back inside. She came out, she went in, she came out, etc. etc., never once even bothering to look our way. Each time she appeared I tried to get her attention, but to no avail. I've sometimes had to wait five minutes before getting a menu at a restaurant. But usually the establishments were quite busy. In this case, five minutes turned into ten minutes. And then fifteen minutes.

Finally, after nearly , I decided to get up and try to find either her or her manager inside the pub to hopefully get some service. But she was not to be found and was probably somewhere in the kitchen. I went back to our table just as another couple arrived and sat down at one of the tables in the smoking area. A moment later the server came out and began serving them. Finally, being totally frustrated, with my wife wanting to leave, I went up to the table where the server was talking to the new customers. I apologized for interrupting, saying "Excuse me, but we've been waiting for well over fifteen minutes and have not had any service from you at all and it's not fair that you aren't serving us first. So we're leaving".

I half expected her to at least apologize and to say that they were short staffed (although the place was not very busy at all) or that somehow she just didn't see us. But she didn't seem all that concerned and simply responded by saying, "Ok, have a nice day."

Have a nice day. Yeah, right. We've lived in Collingwood now for about a year and have been to the Admiral's Post twice before. Like one of the other reviewers here, we previously had opted for the nachos and some beer on both occasions. I'd say the nachos were ok at best, and the service was pretty bad the first time and the second time the service was ok. But this time, the service was beyond bad, and the attitude of the server has me wondering if the pub's owner is aware of what's happening on the front lines of his or her operation. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone else there to talk to. In this day and age of manufacturing and other types of work disappearing, the service sector is one of the few promising areas in our economy. Accordingly, there's considerable competition now for restaurants and bars, with some being very successful, most limping along and many others failing miserably. Collingwood needs a place like the Admiral's Post, but if they are going to survive, they really need to improve the way they operate.

• Visited June 2014
Guelph, Canada
“50 shades of awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

After a day boarding at Blue, we decided nothing would do except some pub food. We simply searched online and chose this place, and when we saw the charming building we went in.

The first moment we entered we were assaulted by what has to be the worst cover bank in all of Canada. Seriously. Loud, wailing, off-key, early 90's redux. I don't say this with any sort of "so bad it's good" irony. I wished I were deaf.

One Ontario beer on the menu, which is shameful, considering the variety of amazing beers available. Two of the three beers we ordered, we were told, were "no longer on the menu." Except that they were. That's why we ordered them.

I'm a vegetarian, by two companions were not. Usually, I can find something to eat on almost any pub menu. A veggie burger, some sort of grilled wrap or some curry. Not a chance. Every sandwich, burger, and pub fare item was meat. Granted, they had some salads, but who wants to eat salad with beer? The waiter suggested I try the fish and chips. Thanks for the tip, but fish is an animal. Just sayin.' So my options were a $13 salad, something from the deep-fried apps menu, and one pasta dish.

I ordered nachos. Usually a safe bet, except they arrived with a distinct aroma of very, very old fryer oil. One bite confirmed the oil had indeed broken down, and instead of tasting crisp and pleasantly oily, they were bitter and acrid. The cheese had big problems. I'm guessing it was shredded sometime in the morning and left out, because the chips were covered in dried out, leathery threads of tasteless cheese. The dish was rounded out with limp lettuce, bland salsa, and sour cream. Who ever scooped the sour cream out of the container and onto my platter, thank you. It was the highlight of the meal. If I wanted jalapenos, it would be a (puzzling) $3.00 extra.

The Shepherds pie was not at all a pie, where the meat mixture pleasantly coagulates with a thick layer of potato so as to become slice-able, but just a small bowl of beef and gravy topped with some mash. My pub-mate said it too, was bland and mediocre, helped along by a generous amount of HP sauce (highlight #2)

Pork Schnitzel was, according to companion #2, ok. The sides, on the other hand.. The pork was joined by two tablespoons of dry mashed potatoes which could have been helped along with some gravy, and 4 pieces of dreadfully overcooked veg, (which also sided the Shepherd's Pie) the whole lot looking very small and lonely on the big plate. Again, edible, but why is just edible considered acceptable?

I have had very, very good pub food. It's not that hard. Change your fryer oil. Bump up the portions. Round out the menu with some vegetarian items. One of the best veg burgers I've ever had was in a pub. 13% of the population is vegetarian. Do you really want to base your bottom line on immediately removing 13% of people from your clientele?

I had a 1/2 pint of beer and horrible nachos. $22.00. Never again.

Our server was pleasant, but detached. He didn't seem to care that there was nothing for me to eat, or that the beer we wanted was still on the menu but they didn't have it. He didn't ask how we enjoyed our food. Mediocre seems to be the word of the day to describe this place.

Our dinner conversation:

"Now we know never to come back here"
"These are the worst nachos I've ever had"
'Why did we come here"
"it's ok, when you're hungry, you'll eat anything".

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Collingwood, Canada
“I will never return.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Bad food. The new owners have run the pub into the ground! Used to be a great place.
Obviously they don't know how to run a decent pub/restaurant.
Don't waste your time or money.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hermosa Beach, California
“Average and smoky!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My first visit to this much talked about local hangout was ok.
It is small,crowded and way to smoky for me.
It is an older pub,frequented by daily regulars.
The patio area is nice,although, It overlooks the street and parking lot,filled with smokers.
As you can probably tell,the amount of smoking will keep me away.

• Visited October 2013