“Great Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Moore's Motel
and 1 more site!
You added Moore's Motel to your Saves list
Moore's Motel
209791 Highway 26 West | Blue Mountains, Collingwood, Ontario L9Y OK9, Canada   |
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Collingwood
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Great Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is place is truly a hidden gem. The place doesn’t even feel like a motel – our bedroom came with a living room, full kitchen with utensils, full fridge and a microwave. It fell like a cozy little rustic cottage!

The owner, Christopher was great! He was so down to earth and accommodating that it made our stay even more memorable. We’ll definitely go back there and will recommend to friends as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

It's too bad I wasn't able to stay at this motel, as reviews on this and other sites were quite favourable, especially for the low price- a lot of decent hotels near Blue Mountain are $150 +/night. I thought we'd lucked in when we initially booked it some weeks ago. Everything about it sounded quite nice.

I guess it's one of those places where everything is fine until you have a problem, then hell breaks loose. Essentially, my plans had changed and I wanted to shorten my stay, was told it was "impossible," even though my booking confirmation indicates I can adjust or cancel up to 24 hours beforehand. Ultimately I and the friend I'm travelling with opted to keep the original booking period, but wanted to pay with a different credit card (hers, not mine). When I tried to change that, I was initially told it wouldn't be a problem, but then hours later I get a call from him and an email from the booking website I used, indicating "my credit information isn't valid, and my reservation will be cancelled if I can't update to a valid credit card in 24 hours." He's going on and on over the phone about how he has to follow the website's rules, and all the problems with the changed information, etc. He said it was fine earlier in the day! And because he reported it to the booking site, we couldn't just opt to pay on arrival and sort it all out in person, because in 24 hours I would lose my reservation.

Not only could he not adjust my reservation to reflect the new information (cause I did it through a third party site, see), he also could not cancel and redo the reservation with the new information- he said I'd have to cancel my initial reservation with the booking site, and then redo it with the new info. Having contacted the booking site, nothing of the sort was needed- because it had been flagged, I just had to edit the credit card information to reflect the other card we'd be using.

All I initially wanted was to either drop a night off the reservation or change the payment info, and it turned into multiple phone calls between myself, the motel, the friend I'm staying with, and even the booking website- probably adding up to close to an hour today, much of it when I was trying to work. I've stayed in many places and never encountered this kind of trouble with routine reservation changes. I've stayed in holes in the wall in Asia and North America and haven't dealt with anything like this.

After everything, I, my friend, and my husband (who wasn't even involved, but saw/heard me dealing with this off and on all day- I work at home), just wanted to wash their hands of the whole thing. Our collective BS quotient was filled.

We just booked with Meaford Motel instead, which by most reviews is a dump, but at least we know we have a freaking room and that the owner won't be calling me 3 times during my work day with new problems to sort out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Run by a lovely couple, the Moore is a motel on the outside, but cottages on the inside! Each unit has one bedroom, a living room, dining room kitchen and washroom, but can sleep six. One unit has two bedrooms and a fireplace, and it can sleep eight! They are all wood panelled and rustic. If you are used to your families cottage from the seventies then this is the place for you. They have the best rates anywhere, and the longer you stay the cheaper the place. Weekends fill up quickly during beach and ski seasons, but phone ahead. Stay during the week and you'll probably get a place. Ask for air conditioning- not all rooms have it. You are ten minutes to the ski hills, Blue Mountain Village, horseback riding, Collingwood, Craiglieth and Thornbury. There is even a private tiny beach at your disposal. For a real beach experience you need to drive a half hour to Wasaga.

Room Tip: Ask for air conditioning and the two bedroom unit.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

If you arent picky about modern amenities and the place you stay doesnt have to be brand new you'll do okay at this place. Clean sheets and bedding, clean washroom, clean fridge. I'm not overly impressed by the motel itself but the owners are accomodating, it's a large living space with cable and a comfy couch (although it looks as if it's from the 60's or 70's). Lots of birds and best of all there's a little beach within walking distance of the motel. Also within walking distance is a great german restaurant though I cant recall the name. The hiking trails are wonderful but as always bring bugspray. We played catch, hiked, cards, ate like maniacs and it was great, the motel itself was really just a place to rest our heads but I would go back just for the beach area and close proximity to the Scandinave Spa (which was AMAZING), horseback riding etc.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Moore's Motel? Share your experiences!