“Good food, excellent service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 97 Restaurants in Collingwood
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Chef Scott Carter uses as much locally supplied products as possible.
Canada
“Good food, excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

They fit us in on a fully booked evening by having us come a little early. Prix Fixe good value and nice meal. Sever attentive and efficient. Interesting décor and good ambience, we were happy with our meal and everyone there seemed to be as well.

Visited February 2014

Burlington, Ontario, Canada
“Nice food and great service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

It was boxing week, so many restaurants shut down for a few days. Scott promptly called me back to confirm my reservation. The wine was perfect for our meal, and service was great. I thought the atmosphere was mediocre, with the decorations to all the families with kids. On the one side, it's family friendly. But for us, less private and romantic. Food was delicious, but not out of this world. The value was nevertheless good. Give it a try! And let others know your experience.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
TORONTO
“Quaint and quite excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

This is a small restaurant with a few booths and a few tables side by side. If you are there early enough to get a booth, all the better. Not a huge menu but good selection between the price fixe menu and the regular menu. The mussels with a curry and white wine sauce were excellent, excellent! (And the small size was very good size). The steak frites were superb with the hangar steak done to perfection and it was as tender as could be. The ribs were more meaty and less saucy than I would be used to, but were reported to be very good too. The service was attentive and timely. We shared the flourless chocolate cake for dessert which was a great cap to a great dinner. Highly recommended.

Visited January 2014
Stuffed P, Owner at The Stuffed Peasant, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
It is so great that you enjoyed your visit, thank you for sharing it with the Trip Advisor community.

Scott
Toronto, Canada
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We were looking for a new place in town to go to for my birthday, and a chef had recommended the Stuffed Peasant to my husband in the summer. I checked the Trip Advisor reviews and was eagerly looking forward to our dinner. I rate restaurants on ambiance, service, food and presentation, especially If we are spending $150 or more.

My immediate reaction upon arriving at the restaurant was disappointment. The doorway is not welcoming whatsoever - a glass enclosure akin to a bank or a drugstore. Every time someone walked in everyone in the restaurant turned to look. The floor tiling looked left over from the previous tenant and the lighting was a series of 2 floodlights grouped together. A mural was painted on the wall I was looking at. Tables along one side which are extremely close together - not conducive to personal or romantic conversations. The other side of the room had some dated, wooden booths. Open kitchen was nice.

I had the prix fix menu - wedge salad with blue cheese dressing, which was nothing extraordinary, duck confit (I'll get to that), and warm sticky toffee pudding (amazing). My husband had some oysters and the rack of lamb special (pretty good). The waitress asked if I wanted mashed or frites, to which I pondered out loud, Hmmm, mashed or frites? She said, yeah, fries, as if I didn't know what frites were. I actually expected some McCain's frozen fries as a result, but got the real deal. The duck itself was quite good, but extremely small piece. My plate was literally half covered in frites, 1/4 green beans then the duck which couldn't have been more than 8 bites and a small amount of sauce underneath. Service was efficient and pleasant.

So, while some of the food was very good, and the service decent, I have to take marks away for the lack of ambiance and presentation of the food. I likely wouldn't go back as there are a few other places I would prefer to try in town.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone here on Trip Advisor. I am so glad you enjoyed the food and service.

Scott
Toronto, Canada
“Great find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Coming in from out of town, we decided on a whim to meet friends here for dinner, solely based on the Trip Advisor reviews. Just as previously reported, the meals were wonderful, the service great and the prices were reasonable.

Definitely recommend it!