“Cranberry does not CARE!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cranberry Resort

Save Saved
You added Cranberry Resort to your Saves list
Cranberry Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   19 Keith Avenue | Highway 26 West, Collingwood, Ontario L9Y 4T9, Canada   |
Ranked #5 of 13 hotels in Collingwood
Brampton
“Cranberry does not CARE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

My story begins with my wife calling your Resort for a price and was told only a few rooms left and we would have to pay close to $200.00. I was online and noticed a price of $125.00 quoted online and booked a room. My first concern is why is your staff quoting a higher price then the website?

When we checked out we were advised by the staff that due to the confusion of the price she spoke with her manager and given a complimentary stay. We were kind of taken back by this statement and then left. No receipt was handed to us – no documentation. So we left.

I notice a charge on my credit card bill of $140.00 on June 30, 2009 which I assume was the online booking. I thought to myself then why would they have told us they were giving us a free room for the trouble?

So due to my schedule my wife called on July 7th and then again July 10th and then again July 13 and then again July 16 – during this time spoke with a total of 7 people. I called myself two more times to deal with two more of the front end staff on July 16th. A total of 8 times with 8 people advising they would call us back each time.

When my wife called on the 16th – she was told 3 different points of the day that front end manager was in meetings or away from the desk. Then when I spoke with another person they claimed she was away injured or what have you.

So July 21 I am called by an assitant manager and advised that the Front End Manager is not crediting back as per the front end staff statement to us on July 4, 2009. My next concern is the manager is not a very organized manager to let this sit in limbo since July 7, 2009. I agree if she was injured – someone should have picked up the case and dealt with it.

It seems Cranberry cares more about the money and not the customer satisfaction. All we needed was someone to call maybe the next day and we would be more understanding of the Cranberry Resort error. However, the manager decided to let this sit and do nothing about it.

They made me feel like one customer was not a big deal to the Cranberry Resort. However, word of mouth is very important and despite some claims of this hotel/resort being nice - Customer Satisfaction is the key to success or failure of a service/hotel and they made a customer feel unimportant and to this day the front end manager has never tried to call me.

The only nice part of the trip was the breakfast buffet staff and leaving.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

543 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

We travelled to the Cranberry Resort for a friend's wedding. What a mess! I'll let her describe the ordeals she had to live through to plan her wedding day, and I'll stick with the resort description as a guest.
First, my husband and I reserved a room months ago. We called twice - once two months before and again one week before to ensure we could have an early check in time since the wedding was to start at 3:30pm and normal check in time is 4pm. We arrived at 2pm-ish, delayed a little by the insane traffic and chaos in town due to Wakestock and construction. Knowing that we were told we could check in early, we foolishly believed the room would be ready for us. Wrong. We waited in line to check in for 20 minutes only to find out our room was not ready. There we told there were no other rooms of the same caliber to be switched into so we had to wait 45 minutes! No remorse, no apologies. Nothing. What were we given when I asked (I had to ask)what they were going to do to make up for this situation? Breakfast. Breakfast that every other guest gets for free. That's it. Free breakfast that should have been free to begin with.I had no time to argue since we only had 10 minutes to get ready for a wedding! We got into our room a mere 10 minutes before we had to leave for the wedding site. We were told there was a shuttle that ran from the main hotel to both the wedding site and the reception site, and we just had to call the front desk to arrange a pick up. Luckily, we saw friends heading out at the same time as we were, so we got a ride with them. The shuttle takes almost half an hour to take the 3 minutes drive from site to site.
The wedding site was beautiful, the reception tent was lovely, the food was bland and poorly cooked, the service staff needed training. Getting to that day was also a nightmare for the bride and groom. They hid it well, only to save their embarrassment, though.
The next morning we arrived in the lobby for breakfast and were seated right away. The food was typical: bacon, eggs, sausage, pancakes. Friends arrived later, so we moved to a bigger table to be with them. The friends were told that breakfast was over, but they could quickly grab some food from the buffet and have a seat. While they ate, the server who told them they could come in to eat, stood back and announced to her coworkers loudly enough for all of us to hear, that we were in her way and we were inconveniencing her. If she had said the friends could not eat at that time, they would have understood, but she said they could come in! No tact, no service skills!
The room was clean enough, but not an executive suite that we thought we had booked. The mattress was hard as a rock, the pillows were flat, the air conditioner rattled, the carpet was stained as was the bathtub. Redeeming qualities? Decent flat screen tv, that's it.
All in all, Cranberry Resort has no customer service skills, the rooms are mediocre at best, and we would not recommend staying there for any reason. I will never be back and we recommend that you find a nicer, friendlier place to stay. I hear the Blue Mountain Resort is really nice!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
tbrandcran, Director of Sales at Cranberry Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2009
I would like to start this letter out, first and foremost, by thanking you for taking the time to post a review on this site about our resort. If it wasn't for this site, and people like yourself, it would be very difficult for us to measure our performance, and for us to put forward an action plan to be able to improve in the areas that need improvement. We welcome all comments from all of our guests, both positive and negative, for this is how we will continue to try and exceed our guests expectations, and strive to be better in areas that we need to pay more attention to.
The weekend you and your husband arrived at our front desk was an extremely busy weekend for all of our staff, and venues around the resort. We were honoured to be able to host 4 weddings, one of which you attended on Saturday. Because of our weddings, and the large amount of arrivals on Saturday, we did experience a few delays. Our housekeeping staff worked very hard to get things ready for all of our guests in a timely manner but unfortunately, some guests like yourself had to wait. For this, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
As far as the wedding venue at the Atoka Tent, the comments that we received from the wedding party were nothing but positive. All of our top food and beverage staff were there to set up and service the guests throughout the evening. I am sorry if you experienced poor food quality or service. This is one area we tend to excel in. However, I will address your concerns with our Food and Beverage Manager, so your comments will be recognized.
You have also made mention in regards to our breakfast in our Bistro on Sunday. I know that the whole weekend was very busy with many guests on property, and that all of our food and beverage outlets were busy as well. We had a lot of service staff working that morning in our restaurant, including a supervisor, to minimize waiting times, and ensure great customer service. I want to believe that this was a communication error on our part, and that during the seating of your large party in the Bistro, this may have caused a bit of confusion. I will make sure the supervisor is aware of this issue, and make sure it is addressed to ensure that this will never happen again.
Once again, I thank you for taking the time to point out some of the issues that occured during your stay......this advice will certainly help us moving forward, ensuring that we continue to deliver top notch service at all times, in all areas of our property.
We hope that you will consider coming back to stay with us again. This will give us a second chance to prove ourselves to you, and hopefully make up for the disappointment we have caused. Please feel free to call us at any time, and we will gladly welcome you as one of our guests, on us.
Yours in hospitality,
L.A. Dybajlo-Bridge
Director of Sales
Oshawa, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

We drove the 2.5 hours and stayed at Cranberry Resort. We were quite disappointed that there wasn't even a bar fridge in our very basic hotel room. We had two double beds, and although the beds were probably the most comfortable I'd ever slept in (for a hotel, that is), most everything else was just okay. The indoor pool was nice, but there were a lot of cracks, etc.. You can tell it's quite old.

The outdoor pool, well, was a bit of a walk with our daughter (she's only 3), and was located in an the old rec centre. You have to walk through musty locker rooms/showers/bathrooms to get to the pool. It was nice to lounge around on the pool deck and there's a small play area (swings, etc) for the kiddies. It was all fine.

The food at the resort was very good. We ate prime rib at the restaurant, Memories, and it was quite tasty. The following morning we had buffet breakfast at the Courtyard, and again, it was very good.

We decided to extend our stay in Collingwood an extra night, but opted for the Holiday Inn Express instead of booking another night at Cranberry.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

Stayed here for two nights. Very convenient for exploring Georgian Bay area. Pleasant rooms (as long as you're not too near the swimming pool - chlorine). Good bar meals and helpful staff. Massive range of sports facilities and pleasant grounds.

Toroto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

What did we get for $160 bucks – one nights’ accommodation in a musty basement across the hall from an arcade and a few doors down from the hotel laundromat.

Two double beds (With No bed skirts) even though we pleaded for a single king or queen and was denied.

No room service at all, which is important to me especially on my 10th wedding anniversary.

Someone banning on the door to the next room at 3 in the morning which startled my wife half to death because the walls we’re so thin.

No acknowledgement or special treatment because of my anniversary. Not even a chocolate on the pillow.

The hotel and the organization running the ‘time share meeting’ operate independent of one another so the folks at the front desk are totally clued out. So in our case – we checked out at 11 and the meeting was at 1pm. What the heck are we to do during the 2 hour wait in the middle of nowhere?

I blogged more about it [----]

oshawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

My Husband and I stayed there, for a completely booked weekend they did not have enough staff, expect a 30 minuet wait upon check in, and thats after the line up at the actual desk. The rooms in the main building are gross to say the least the carpets are stained. IT IS NOT WHAT YOU SEE ON THE WEBSITE!!!. The rooms are dark and dingy and there is no elevator so if your on the third floor enjoy the walk with your luggage, up three flights of stairs. We paid $285 for the package with breakfast and massages for both my husband and myself, which appeared to be the best value, although Blue Mountain was only $50 more, and I know for a fact the rooms are so nice and clean. I should have paid the difference and had a good experience as compared to the horrible experience we did have. They only have the indoor pool open because of the weather, its June they should have just paid for the heater to be on in the adult pool, Because the indoor pool (that is small) was full of screaming children the whole time its open. As for the breakfast they have it in a small bar, with only 2 waitresses (remember the place was fully booked!) There was no food except eggs on it at 9;30 in the morning on a Saturday, when I asked for ketchup i was given a dirty look from the waitress, she then came by fifteen minuets later, to say sorry for the lack of service but there is only 2 of them and did I mentioned this was yelled to me across the room. I at this point was so upset, it was our anniversary and these people and this hotel was ruining it. I went to our room to phone the front desk, after ten minuets of ringing they didnt answer the phone, I walked down and waited in line again (only one person was serving). The manager Jennifer came to the desk and said with a attitude "what do you need". I explained the situation and the lack of service in a "resort". She the credited $20 for the breakfast we didn't eat and $20 off the bill. So we still ended up paying $260.00 including tax for the horrible stay. I think they should of done more to avoid me writing this review, but I guess they just don't care.
The massages were good, but its in a different building.

Cadiz, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Upon reviewing the majority of reviews on Cranberry Resort, we were worried about what we would find. However, the unit we were assigned #400 was very clean, with spacious bedrooms, living/diningroom and a small kitchen. Everything was in excellent shape, and working. The kitchen was sparcely equipped with pots/pans, etc. There was just enough to get by. The staff was friendly and helpful. They let us check in early. They offered a variety of ammenitites to meet everyone's needs. They offered a complementary change of linens and towels mid-stay. Quality of service and food in their restaurant was great. We were there to explore Canada, so did not take advantage of golfing, etc. Our last day there, May 21st. there was a city-wide power failure that lasted about 5-6 hours. I wouldn't dream of Cranberry Resort being the least responsible for this. I would highly recommend this resort for a vacation.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Cranberry Resort? Share your experiences!