“Frozen fries!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Westside Fish & Chips Family Restaurant

Westside Fish & Chips Family Restaurant
126 Main Street West P.O. Box 5434 (Yonge Street), Huntsville, Ontario P1H2K8, Canada
705-789-7200
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Frozen fries!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I expect real chips at a fish and chips place - these are clearly frozen. The fish I had, halibut, was good but such a small portion - in Toronto at good place I get a piece 2 - 3 times larger. The gravy is not homemade either, but that is expected at most restaurants like this.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Debbie K, Owner at Westside Fish & Chips Family Restaurant, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
I am with you on the frozen fries, although we do buy the best frozen fry on the market. We simply do not have the room to have fresh fries. You need room to store and prepare the potatoes, we have none. You need room to have a blanching fryer (because you don't just simply put raw potatoes in a hot fryer), we have no room for that.

We are a small family restaurant that started 33 years ago. We've expanded the seating as far as bylaws allow, but our kitchen has never had the space to expand. It simply isn't possible, I wish it was.

The halibut, well all I can say is that Toronto restaurant must get a super price. Halibut is expensive, we could provide much bigger pieces but you'd pay through the nose.

55% Recommend
South River, Ontario
“Muskokalicious a great deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Recently had lunch here - during Muskokalicious. It was not only a great deal but the food was very good. Had the whitefish (battered) with 1/2 chips, 1/2 coleslaw. Fish was perfectly done - the portion was huge! Because the main course was so inexpensive, we splurged for some dessert which was also very good. Would definitely go again!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Friendly & Fun!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I lived in Oxford, UK for a year and a half, and quickly came to love the famous fish n' chips around England. We served Haddock n' Chips as a fun, late night snack station at my husband and my wedding as a reminder of our fave British guilty pleasure. However, we did not have the chance to enjoy it at our own wedding because we were so busy! Fast forward to our "mini-moon" in Huntsville at a local B & B. We promptly found Westside Fish n' Chips family-run restaurant. It had the homey-diner feel, which we love for some laid-back, comfy dining. The fish n' chips was good and filling! My husband and I were also very bad and had their famous coconut-cream pie as well. Yum. The staff was super friendly, and it was nice to enjoy a homey, fun, relaxed meal. We had a nice time here, I would have loved a little more option in the bar (I'm not a beer drinker, and the white wine wasn't too thrilling). 3/5 stars for a fun, yummy, laid-back dining experience.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Home For Me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Summers in the area for 65 years now mean weekly visits to Westside. Good honest home cooking, great fish and chips and Oh those pies! Friendly service, home like atmosphere and filled with locals. You can't go wrong. I love the pea meal bacon in any form...nothing like the US version of Canadian bacon. Order fish with half and half...fries and the best cold slaw. Sit out on the verdant enclosed for bight daylight. Wines are available. Good clothes washing service downstairs so its easy to do the two things together. Worth many visits.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Englehart, Ontario, Canada
“Good service, average food !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The service was good, however the food was average. It was not what we expected. The food is prepared the way the owner likes it. For example, chicken pot pie to me is full of chicken with real gravy, and a mix of veggies. My friend ordered this and it had few pieces of chicken, jellied gravy, and a few pieces of carrot that were not cooked through. There were lots of tea pots to look at and great paintings on the ceiling, however I will not be eating here again, as the food fell short of my expectations.

Visited August 2012