“Snowmobile getaway!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Walker Lake Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Huntsville
Walker Lake Resort
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Ontario
“Snowmobile getaway!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed in the Cedar cottage , two bedroom for two couples was perfect lots room and very clean. They supplied everything- Bedding, towels and even fire wood. we forgot coffee and they even helped us out with that. The snowmobile conditions were perfect , the only thing was you had to ride the road for about 2 kms to get to the trail, once on the trail you could go anywhere.
We had returned one evening sledding to discover a family of deer on the lake , was a nice sight to see. Although the restaurant was a little slow in service and pricey the food was 5 star gourmet with presentation and portioning was exceptional.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I've been going to the Norsemen cottages for a few years now and I've extremely enjoyed myself on every occasion. Beautiful place with all the necessities needed to make a great weekend! .. Definitely recommended !!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Norsemen, Owner at Walker Lake Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Thanks very much for your great review and recommendation of Walker Lake Resort. We love to hear from customers who have come back that they had a great time once again. We strive to provide a warm and friendly atmosphere and the good quality it takes so that people want to return to relax and enjoy their stay with us. We certainly hope to see you again!
Midland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

My husband and I first stayed at Walker Lake in February of 2009. I'm not quite sure how we came to the decision on this particular place, however we are both happy that we did.
Initially we had tried to book the Maple cottage, but it was already reserved. We ended up in the Cedar which was great - spacious and airy with a beautiful view of the frozen lake. The kitchen was well equipped and the entire cottage was very clean. Although the Birch is directly next door, it still felt like we were there by ourselves.

I skated on the lake, we played scrabble by the fire and generally just lounged about.
It was Family Day weekend as well as Valentine's Day weekend. We were encouraged by Les to try out the Norsemen restaurant on site for a special dinner they were hosting for the occasion. I can't say enough good things about the food and ambiance at the restaurant! Wood beams, antique tables, roaring fire.... Just perfect! It was not inexpensive, however the quality of food and the service warranted every penny.

After a wonderful long weekend there we began discussing the possibility of holding our wedding reception at the resort - we had been engaged for under three months when we stayed there. I simply emailed Les and Suzi and the plans were under way! We decided on May 9 of the same year so that didn't leave much time!! Les and Suzi were extremely accommodating especially since everything needed to be done via email. We were able to customize a menu that definitely pleased all!!

We booked all of the cabins so most of the guests could stay on site for our wedding weekend. Everyone arrived Friday afternoon which turned out to be a wonderfully warm spring evening. After our rehearsal at a local church, we had a barbecue and several cocktails on the dock and around the fire. The kids were even fishing right there off the dock.

Keeping in mind that this is still off-season for 3 of the 7 cottages, there were varying levels of satisfaction with the accommodation. There were a few glitches (water problems and appliance issues) but all were addressed one way or another quickly and professionally. The Birch and Cedar were flawless. My soon to be husband and I stayed in the Maple which is definitely rustic, but had everything we needed. The Spruce accommodated my large group of neices and nephews wonderfully. The Pine could use an overhaul, but it is quite old, so as long as you know what to expect it shouldn't be a big problem. I didn't ever actually make it into the Other two cottages, so I can't give an opinion on them.

Anyway, our reception dinner went off without a hitch. The service was impeccable, the food was to die for and the night was just wonderful. We had chosen the perfect spot for our wedding!! It suited us to a tee...

We just returned from our 3rd visit to Norsemen Walker Lake and enjoyed it once again. A fabuolus dinner was had at the restaurant once again! We stayed in the Maple and it is showing some further wear and tear, but that does not bother us much. It would be wonderful if the cottages could be updated somewhat to appeal to people that are obviously more fussy than we are, however we will continue to visit knowing that this is the place we started our married life together.

Sorry for the long review, but it was 3 years in the making!

Thanks Suzi and Les!

Room Tip: Choose the Birch or the Cedar if you can
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Norsemen, Owner at Walker Lake Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thanks so much for taking the time to let people know about your wonderful memories of Walker Lake Resort and the Norsemen Restaurant. We enjoy hearing that you had a great time here (all three times!) and appreciate your feedback on things to improve to make your next visit even nicer.

We’re gratified to know that you thought that Walker Lake was the perfect spot for your wedding. It's our greatest pleasure to have people start off their lives together here, and think of our resort as their special place.

Every year we try to update the cottages and the amenities based on feedback like yours. We update furniture and accessories, and paint and restore. Regarding your comments about the Maple cottage, we will be updating it this year to freshen it up. You also mention the Pine cottage and its rustic-ness. You’re right about that – and we have people who return and only want to stay in the Pine – since that’s exactly what they’re looking for. As long as all is in working order, they love the ambiance of the all-wood cottage, the screened in deck that sits over the lake at its most secluded point and it’s very private dock.

We also improve our water equipment each year to please return cottagers like you and our other new guests to the resort. Last year we added a new fishing boat with a motor so more people could enjoy fishing at the same time. This summer we have two more kayaks coming, and brand new to the resort - two stand up paddle boards as well! Also, by popular request, we’ve added wifi –and it’s free.

Thanks for returning once again and for your great comments about the resort and about your delight with the restaurant too. We love to have you and hope you will continue to make Walker Lake Resort your special place.
brampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at the walker lake resort in May. We had a great experience . It was exactly what we were looking for. Walker Lake Resort has 5 older cottages that were very clean and have much newer furniture . They also had two newer cabins with modern layouts and appliances. We enjoyed staying in one of their older cabins, it seemed to add to the ambiance of eating fine food in a century old lodge . The restaurant is a great experience, they have a small gallery of paintings, wood work and sculptures all done by the local " artist of the limberlost ". The restaurant showed its age and was a beautiful place to spend the evening . It had many more paintings , white linen table cloths and a great wine list. The service was nothing but polite, courteous and professional. The menu was hard to choose from because everything sounds so delicious. Our meal was served in a timely fashion with great presentation. It was a very tasty meal indeed . We will definitely be back again. The grounds at the resort were well kept and clean. Walker lake is small and very quiet. Walker lake is a great place to sit back and RELAX , go for a walk, check out local art and eat great food.
Thanks to the hosts for the great evening see you again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

This is a beautiful place in terms of location, sadly lacking in upkeep and cleanliness.
We came in the winter with our child, looking forward to a winter vacation in the woods. The cottage has a lovely view but many problems. The extra room had a hole in the wall and plaster falling off , the taps on the sink were falling off, and there were mouse droppings in the cupboards. We were awakened in the early morning by animals in the roof. The whole cottage had a neglected feel. When we complained the next day, the owner ( when finally found) was sympathetic but initially reluctant to refund our money ( but did in the end).
This is a place which is in need of a huge overhaul to reflect the beauty of it's surroundings.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

We spent one week end with my parents and my sister in the Walker Lake resort.
We came from France and were in Canada for 20days.
The reason why I rented in the WL resort is because of the good tripadvisor's reviews and we were not disappointed. We went there off peak and we enjoyed the quiet atmosphere.
The cottage was beautiful and we had the feeling to be really close to the wild.
Fireplace/glazed bay/sofa were really appreciated.
We were at less than 15min of Algonquin Park where we made wonderful trails and huntsville where we found food/beverage and other store that we needed.
Also, the owner was really kind and always available for us. He gave usefull informations and helped us to spent a very good time.
I strongly recommend Walker lake Resort and think that i will come back during one summer

• Stayed March 2011
ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

My husband and I and another couple booked the Spruce cottage for the family day weekend Feb19 and 20 in the middle of Jan. After searching the net for a suitable cottage we settled on this one because it seemed spacious, had a wood stove and was close to Algonquin and Arrowhead parks. Although check in is at 3, the owner Les agreed that we could come around 1. My husband and I were staying in Baysville the night before so we were a bit earlier arriving at the Resort Sat morning. Our friends were traveling from Burlington in bad weather and were still on the road. We arrived at the resort around 11:30, followed the office sign upstairs. Les the owner opened the door and after I stated who we were and that I realized we were very early he disappeared around the corner and left us standing at the door. My husband got tired of waiting and listening to a dog bark non stop and went back to our van. I finally had to peek around the corner to see what was happening and was only then informed that somehow our reservations were mixed up and he had us booked for the following weekend. He was very apologetic and told us he would find us someplace else. After quite a while we settled on a smaller cottage 20 min away that was around the same price. When we called our friends however, they were still stuck in terrible weather conditions and decided to go home. Les did find us a beautifull bed and breakfast down the road and we even made reservationd for the restaurant that evening. He did refund our money and said hed buy us a drink at dinner. (wow!) At that time, we were standing in the restaurant and I pointed to a table in front of the fireplace and specifically asked to have a table in front of the fireplace that evening. Needless to say when we arrived th fireplace tables were taken and when I aked Les about that he did a lot of huffing and puffing and told us that they consider all the tables in the restaurant to be in front of the fireplace. We did almost leave at that point but naively I thought that after messing us up twice, we may get something off the dinner. The dinner was excelent and although a bit pricier than say a pub, the food was good and the atmophere lovely. With dinner I had 2 vodka and orrange, my husband had 2 bear and I had a coffee and Baileys which came with the bailey already in it so I have no idea how much was put in. When the bill came we wre told that they did not charge us for 1 beer and 1 srewdriver yet the bar bill was 22.50. Aparently a beer is $7, a vodka and orrange (not done up as a coctail) is 7.50 and a shot of baileys is 8.00. (plus $2.95 for the coffee!) He did apologise again but his apologies are hollow as he did nothing special to compansate for the problems he caused. I am a very patient person. Others probably would have left the restaurant but I do not forget bad service and not only will I never set foot in this resort again, I will spread the word about what happened to anyone that will listen

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Walker Lake Resort? Share your experiences!