“Great mini-holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Deerhurst Resort

Save Saved
You added Deerhurst Resort to your Saves list
Deerhurst Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1235 Deerhurst Dr, Huntsville, Ontario PIH 2E8, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 18 hotels in Huntsville
Toronto, Canada
“Great mini-holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Had a great family weekend! Sure there are a few extra charges for towels etc., but kids loved the kayaks, paddle boards and pools. The splash pad at the beach was a bit overwhelming for 1 kid and I think the area should have more life guards and the life jackets need to be updated, there were some pretty old ones there. The servers were great at accommodating kids requests at meals. The "preferred membership" ($99/yr) paid off since we used golf & spa and it gave discount and most meals other than take-out by pool. Steamers was excellent restaurant and made changes to keep kids happy. They loved the shuttle bus to get there-funny.
The bkfst buffet was huge & crowded Sunday, but we aren't buffet people so a l'carte was better for us (get there well before 11AM).
Our suite was nice, king bed was great, golf view, dishes a little small but it was fine. Sofa bed small but fine for kids, & they brought extra pillows right away. Only drag was carrying cooler & bags up to 3rd floor and the hallway was extremely hot for some reason?
Rock Buggy & Horseback riding were fun, they may seem pricey but it was nice having everything so close without having to drive more than 2km.
Activities desk was helpful with everything and no pressure about when to bring back rackets etc.
Spa was nice & service was good, but could use more comfort and zen-like atmosphere.
Grocery store is new, a little sparse...could use a few more grooming products, benadryl for kids/adults. If the store looked more like a mercantile store and less tourist type stuff might be better for guests looking for things for their kitchenette, pool and last minute items.
SUGGESTION: video gaming area is for very little kids. If weather isn't good not much for pre-teens/teens to do - really missed having pool table/ping pong. Sounds old fashioned but if it had those 2 extra things I think I would have given Deerhust an Excellent.

Room Tip: Summit Lodges were nice. I would imagine 3rd floor most quiet and you want golf view or it's pa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for posting a review and the many compliments about our resort! It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your mini holiday. Please know that many of the adjustments we make at the resort come directly from guest suggestions and forums like TripAdvisor and we do appreciate you letting us know about your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

981 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We were at the resort from July 31- August 3. Had a one bedroom suite building 52-106. Beautifully appointed. The place was clean, the staff were amazing both at the resort and on the beach. Yes we had to pay the extra 20$ for the beach toys and weren't expecting that, but not worth complaining about it when it made our family of 5 have even more fun.
Ate at all the restaurants and the food was excellent! I would highly recommend this resort. My family has been to many in Muskoka, and the value at Deerhurst was by far the most reasonable. I found it quite entertaining and made me laugh to read the previous comment about the guy that gave the place a 0 and had all that complaining to do. He obviously is a person who does nothing but complain wherever he goes or wherever he eats. Lifes too short to be so negative, and he knows what he said is so not true about Deerhurst.

Room Tip: Building 52, room 106!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Sincere appreciation for posting a review and the 5 star rating! We are glad you enjoyed your time with your family at our Lakeside Resort.

We realize all reviews are subjective. We continue to focus on customer service, quality, value and the overall experience, with all our guests’ ratings and feedback as a key benchmark and guide.

Hope to see you and your family again soon!
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Summit building #51 jr 1 bdrm #105 was our home away for home for 2 nights. The purpose was to provide a Restful space for our son who is working as a counselor at camp Tawingo. A quiet 24 hours was what he needed at the 1/2 way mark in the summer and staying at the deerhurst fit the bill.
We purchased copious amounts of food so that our 17 yr old boy could eat as much as he wanted when he wanted.. The unit provided a kitchen with a small bar fridge, microwave/convection oven, 2 burner stove and all the necessary gear. It was perfect with a bar height table and chairs. We saved time and money by staying in and getting caught up with his news. The living room was spacious along with a deck overlooking the tennis courts and beyond the lake. We also viewed groundhogs in the morning having their breakfast. The bedroom had 2 double beds and the 3 piece bathroom was adequate.
While the boy slept in the next day, my husband and I had our coffee and then exited to walk a small portion of the expansive grounds. It is very impressive and we watched some talented golfers too.
We all had a lovely big brunch in our big room and later some leftovers before heading out for the afternoon.
I would definitely book deerhurst again as the set up was ideal for our needs and although the 25% weekday special brought the price down a little the savings of eating in a comfortable accommodation and the relaxation it provided was worthwhile.
My only criticism is for their checkin/checkout service. Both times there were only 2 staff and it left a few of us waiting longer than I thought we should with a resort that size.

Room Tip: The summit buildings were recently renovated and offer a large common room for larger groups.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting a review. We consistently receive very positive reviews about the renovated Junior One Bedroom Suites and are glad you enjoyed your stay and experience in them as well. We apologize for the delay at check in /out and assure you the issue you experienced is indeed an exception and not in keeping with the normally servicing we are able to provide.
Again, that you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are glad you enjoyed the resort and more importantly your time together as a family.
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

You're in Muskoka so adjust your value meter. The resort is a bit dated but its well located near Huntsville. The condos are at least fine, probably slightly above average, but the items in the kitchen are sparse and of low quality. There is plenty for kids/families to do but everything does have a steep up charge. The pool/beach certainly aren't luxurious, but they're well kept and the kids loved it. My daughters loved the pool, horseback riding, the ridiculously expensive arcade and having their own room in the condo. Enjoy the area, enjoy the family time, but at the end just know you're wallet will be lighter.
Ps. We had dinner at "the little place by the lights" and the gnocchi was delicious! Homemade, light, melt in your mouth delicious.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience and impression on TripAdvisor. Deerhurst Resort does offer a wide range of activities, amenities and fun or relaxing family holiday packages which let both kids and parents unwind.

We recommend future visitors learn more about our value added packages & discounts by checking our website or calling us directly.

We hope that you will have the chance to come back soon and recommend you visit our website to learn more about our family holiday value added packages and check out our new summer menus & events for Eclipse Restaurant or Steamers Steakhouse (Advance reservations are recommended)
Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This resort was very nice, but way over priced. We were there for a wedding and our wedding rate came to $250.oo /night. We did not have a fridge in our room and they would move one to our room for an additional $50.00, if they had one. They do not have free breakfast, like most other places in North America. We would much rather travel in the USA because you get a much bigger band for your buck. Everything you do at Deerhurst costs extra money.
Saying al that, Huntsville is a very pretty area to see.

Room Tip: Ask for a king size bed. Our friends had 2 queen size beda and paid the same as us, but our room was...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for posting a review. We agree Muskoka is beautiful and glad you enjoyed our area and charming town of Huntsville.

The resort does have a variety of different types of guest rooms and suites, ranging from regular hotel rooms in the Main Building, Lakeside accommodation and 1, 2, 3 Bedroom Condos. Should guests have a preference in room features like a fridge, king bed, view or extra living space; we encourage them to let us know in advance so we can recommend the right type of accommodation.

We do recommend guests visit our website not only to view our value added packages and specials but to learn about our offerings and make advance reservations for activities to avoid disappointment.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share you feedback and are hopeful we will have the chance to welcome you back in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This has honestly been my worst experience here yet. I've been here before back in 2005 and their customer service was great; now it has plummeted down the drain. I highly do NOT recommend this place.

When I arrived to check in, someone was helping me. He asked for a piece of photo ID and a credit card. After doing asking, he made a phone call. During his phone call he handed me my parking pass. He paused his call and said, "that's your parking pass." And continue his call. I gave him a dirty look because I was not even finished checking in. I told him that I had two cars and I still needed my keys, until then did he have to tell the person to hold. I've had never had such rude customer service.

It doesn't stop there, after checking in we went to our apartment. Approximately 30 minutes after checking in, a housekeeper walks in without knocking or ringing the doorbell. So I walked out and told her that she cannot do that and that she had to knock. I got her name in hopes of filing a complaint. I filed a complaint and the front desk told me that someone will get back to be in 30 minutes. I ended up calling them every 30 minutes for 2 hours. I ended up solving the problem but according to the manager she had to do an investigation and that the housekeeper was there to clean up because it was listed as "unclean and vacant". Clearly she didn't check again before entering the house but at least the manager was in support of that she should have knocked before entering.

After all the hassle of speaking with a manager, I went to the splash zone in hopes to relax. In order to get in you have to pay $20 per person. I didn't mind paying this but for the service I received definitely not worth it. At the splash zone there was canoes, kayaks, and stand up paddle boards (SUP). I got assistance to go on the SUP however my friend who was behind me was not helped. He was stuck on shore on a kayak and I had to ask for assistance. The lifeguard on duty clearly looked unhappy after I had to tell her what to do.

After kayaking and paddle boarding we went over to the inflatables. If you have non-swimmers I do not recommend this area for you because lifeguards there clearly do not guard. One of them left their post to talk to other fellow lifeguards and their eyes left the area which is NOT a Lifesaving Society standard. In that time the lifeguard was not looking at the water, one of the kids fell off the in water teeter-totter and swallowed a lot of water because the life jacket the kid chose was not well suited for him. The kid was distressed and as a lifeguard I am, I swam over and dragged him to shore. The lifeguards just stared and did nothing. I was so mind blown and anger that this is what lifeguards do here because at the facility I work at, that is highly unacceptable. The 3 P's to a lifeguard is Prevent, Promote and Preserve. The lifeguards could have prevented drowning if they had recommended proper life jackets to patrons and checked that the life jacket did not go above their ears. The lifeguard could have also promoted that life jackets should not go above the ears so that the guests are well educated for future references.

After swimming, I went back to the apartment to wash up but there was no hot water. An engineer had to come and to turn it on. The facility is not the greatest for the price you pay for. The apartment can house 8 people however, the utilities cannot even live up. The engineer said that if you all shower then the hot water will run out. But we weren't, and how would you design something that is not even environmentally friendly. There shouldn't be a hot water tank anyways. It should be instant hot water when needed, were living in the 21st century and were still using technology from the past. There's not even pots and pans that can cook a meal for 8 in one go. There's a small pot and small pan that is good for 2 and possibly 3 if they have a small appetite.

There's absolutely nothing good about this place. With awful customer service and poor management, terrible recreations department, and poor facility, I and my family will never come back to this resort ever again. I cannot believe this place is even called a resort as there was never a time I felt l relaxed. This is definitely not a resort for patrons but for employees because they get paid to do nothing there.

• Stayed July 2013
We are sorry to read that you were disappointed with aspects of your experience and would like the opportunity to speak with you directly so that we can actively address the details you noted and apologize to you in person for the service inconsistencies you experienced, which I assure you is not the level of service Deerhurst Resort is known to provide. Please contact us at info@deerhurstresort.com.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We went to Deerhurst for the first time. Booked in for a week. It was fantastic. We had a pet friendly room in the main lodge. Check in was quick, the room was clean and well appointed. Staff in all areas of the resort was outstanding - friendly, helpful, and caring. We signed up for the Preferred member program (discounts on food, spa and the show as well as golf). The discount program is excellent - we can't wait to come back for our free night. Our daughter loved the junior golf program and instructor. The food was overall good to excellent. The Sunday buffet was very nice! Watersport staff was awesome - friendly and great customer service. It was nice to canoe, and kayak around the lake. We also did the tubing - super fun! The show "Decades" was entertaining for sure - and good value. Oyster night at Steamers - $1 oysters, can't beat that :) along with live music. The steaks at Steamers were also awesome! (I wouldn't have the lobster cobb again though...- it was the smallest cobb salad ever and strangely presented). Pools were not huge, but clean and no problems finding a lounger. I did find the spa to be a bit outdated - could use some upgrades - it was OK but not fantastic. Hard to understand the bad reviews that some have provided...we travel a lot and found it to be great value, a friendly and warm atmosphere and very relaxing.... :)

Room Tip: We were in the main lodge and found it quiet, convenient and well serviced...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sincere appreciation for posting such a detailed review. We are pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and the pet friendly accommodation met your needs.

Glad you enjoyed our Friday Evening “Buck a Shuck” Oysters & Beer Tasting Special. Our very talented Decades Cast Member, Daniel Cannis, will be performing live music from 8pm on wards and recommend guests make an advance reservation to enjoy this fun evening at Steamers Restaurant & Bar.

Sorry to read that you were disappointed with the Lobster Cobb Salad, I will share your feedback with our Executive Chef.

We look forward to your return to enjoy the scenery, atmosphere and friendly staff at our lakeside resort.

Been to Deerhurst Resort? Share your experiences!