“Nice weekend but could easily have been excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Deerhurst Resort

You added Deerhurst Resort to your Saves list
Deerhurst Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1235 Deerhurst Dr, Huntsville, Ontario PIH 2E8, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Whitby, Canada
“Nice weekend but could easily have been excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My Wife and I with our two boys 18 and 19 years old wanted to go away for a short jaunt of family fun as it is getting harder to time our schedules to be together. We used to go to Deerhurst years ago, and we had great memories, when they were little, but we hadn't gone for years preferring generally to go south.
My older son wanted to snowmobile as he is now old enough to take one on his own so we figured we should go to Deerhust again if we could (at the last minute) get a couple of snowmobiles for a few hours
Booking was great and Kim at Back Country Snowmobile Rentals went out of her way to get us two sleds for Saturday from noon to 5pm. Once the snowmobiles were booked, I reserved a two bedroom condo which suited our needs perfectly. We would arrive on Saturday at 10am but check in was at 4pm. I requested both a renovated room and an early check in when I made the reservation. I also pre booked the show for the family at 8pm.
Once we got there, reception was fast and accommodating. They did switch things around to give us a room early but it was no longer a newly renovated room. It was ok because we valued getting into our room early more than waiting for a renovated room. That was great and certainly met our expectation. The room was perfect for our needs, was clean and everything worked. Yes it was in need of a refresh but everything was clean and working. Really no complaints about the room. It was perfect for our needs. We were also very well received at check in.
My son and I soon went to get the snowmobiles. The snowmobile set up looks and feels like an add on and rather awkward area in the store. Everyone was nice enough, but little things looked they need more office/management support. Paying by credit card depended on how the stars lined up to get internet reception. Just expect a more structured sign in/ get your gear set up. Looks like its running out of someone else's store, in a corner to save money. The clothing available for snowmobiling was in poor condition, dirty, and smelly. I used my own coat. The gloves they had for us were cheap and low quality and my hands were cold. I've rented before at other places and the quality and sizes available were way better. This needs improvement. Once gone on the 5 hour ride on our own, despite getting a map that was from last year and being told it was so easy to get around and we would not to get lost, we got lost. Many other resorts have signs all the way around on the snowmobile trails but not Deerhurst. We wasted an hour and much stress and a few phone calls to find our way back a half hour late. Why not have Trail #1 One hour ride, Trail #2 Three hour ride, and Trail #3 five hour ride and all we would have had to do is follow is trail number 3 and it would get us back to the resort by just following the signs for the trail number.
The 'road' numbers show the same road going left and right with the same exact number...wtf...Locals may know what that means but for many of us city flolk, so to speak, once off roads and into the woods, its a recipe for disaster without a guide. The map just doesn't do it. Get a guide if you can.
We talked to others who were out the same day and most got lost and were frustrated in what should have been just a fun (but expensive) activity. Not much fun when you're lost in the woods. Thank god there were great people who went out of their way to get us back on the right track.

Had supper in Eclipse. 3 of us enjoyed our meals. My older son did not like his steak. We have had steaks in the best restaurants, and well this was a disappointment for him. We've paid less for much better steaks. Not that it was badly cooked but just average and not memorable. The lamb was good but I don't think I'd come back just for it again. Service was very good. View is really nice at night.

Show was excellent. It was nice. Service at the show was average and sporadic, but the show was actually lots of fun to watch. Performers were great.

In the morning I went to the hot tub in the pool area. Should have stayed in bed. Went down to the pool area lockers, changed and went to the pool area to get a towel. No towels, I ask others where they got towels, Upstairs they said. In my bathing suit, walk back up the stairs , look around, no towels, walk in my bare feet in my bathing suit, to the store around the corner to find someone, some guy in the store tells me that they are out and they will bring me some personally in the pool area. Great, I walk back down frustrated but hopeful.
I Get in the hot tub for twenty minutes, no towels. I notice people coming down with towels so it looks like no one came down to give me any towels but there are some available. Wet, I go back up the stairs in bare feet, while others are coming down the stair with snow boots, grab two towels and walk back down to the lockers, stepping in salty snow from others boots. Pissed off completely at the stupid and inconsiderate set up of a neglected pool area, focused on streamlining towel operations to save a penny while compromising the experience of their guests bringing the level of service rating for this hotel much lower than it can be. Great resorts become great by the little details. Here the little details are holding this place back. Wishing to be the best and actually setting up your resort to be the best are two different things.

Brunch on Sunday morning was excellent. Huge selection and variety, great service. Some of the food that I would expect to be hot was disappointingly only warm. But all in all a great brunch. Best meal of the weekend.

We were actually looking at the opportunity of buying a condo at Deerhurst, but If I've been so annoyed on a few items in a short 24 hours, how badly would it be if we spent allot more time there. just not confident.
We will go again because we like the place and the area, but certainly not as great as it could be. Too bad because they do many things very well.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. Book snowmobiles way before you get there on weekends. Bring your own war...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for the comprehensive review. We want you to know that we actively listen to all our guest feedback and strive to improve our guest’s experience based their observations and the constructive comments we receive. Based on your fondness of our setting we hope that we have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

took my parents there, stay was a success... really close to hidden valley ski resort. the lakeside suites are quite comfortable. would have liked more eating alternatives within the hotel. a few attractions for kids were available inside the hotel building (e.g. a serious climbing wall).

Room Tip: lakeside rooms are a good value for money
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sincere appreciation for posting a review. Glad you enjoyed the weekend away with your parents and our Lakeside Accommodation in the Bayshore Building, which will be receiving a full renovation this spring and reintroduced to our guests mid-May.

Deerhurst does have a number of delicious restaurants on site; Eclipse, Maple and the Lobby Bar which is located in the main building with Steamers, Pool Deck Patio & Grill open seasonally only a short walk away. We hope your travels will bring you back to our resort and recommend you check our website for packages, savings and best available rates online.
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've been here twice for business and most recently for pleasure for a weekend getaway. Staff were friendly and more than helpful to recommend any additional upgrades that might have been of interest. The property in the winter is absolutely beautiful with many indoor and outdoor activities and the rooms are kept very clean. We attended a comedy show on the Saturday evening which was spectacular. I can't wait to visit Deerhurst for a forth visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Another 5 star review –Thank you! We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We do recommend you view our Special Events & Concert Series Page on our website to check out 2 new events scheduled for April - Whether you choose to immerse yourself in the glory of golf's greatest weekend while enjoying great food, wine and laugh-out-loud entertainment or want to enjoy a return visit from Myles Goodwyn and April Wine, one of Canada’s most popular and enduring rock bands. We hope you will return to enjoy one of these events or the many other offerings we have available throughout the year.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I recenly visited Deerhurst Resort for a WOW weekend and it was certainly just that - from the food, the drink, the entertainment, the outdoor activities, the hospitality, the staff - it was outstanding! We stayed in a Summit Suite which was warm and cozy with a spectular view of the property around us. Snowed all day but and couldn't have been more beautiful.

If you want to just hang around by the fire, walk around, or be adventurous, Deerhurst has it all. It was a WOW experience for sure and would do it again and again!
m

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate your glowing review and glad you enjoyed your visit to our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again and encourage you to try us out in the summer, as it offers an equally vibrant natural setting as well as a full range of activities. Hope to see you soon!
Gore Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

From the moment we arrived for a 3 day stay at Deerhurst resort in Huntsville, I was impressed with the genuinely friendly and helpful service at every turn. Whether chatting with dining room, cleaning, boutique, front desk or spa staff, it was evident that each and every staff member was keenly invested in providing quality customer service as a priority. Given that we were here attending a conference whose focus was on meeting our clients' needs with our excellent product, my "consumer" radar was fully operational and even more aware of each and every little extra touch that made our stay more enjoyable. I was not disappointed. Our room was spacious and well appointed with views of lovely wintery vistas from large windows. The food was wonderful and members of the serving staff were very knowledgeable and happy to share information about ingredients etc. Even though three conferences were simultaneously enjoying the hospitality at Deerhurst during our stay, it was most pleasing to see that attention to detail did not suffer in any way. No line ups for food, elevators or front desk service in our experience. Given another opportunity, we would happily return.

Room Tip: When all of the bathrooms receive an upgrade, I would suggest higher toilets and grab bars. We boome...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind compliments regarding the high level of service our colleagues provided during your recent stay with us. Your comments will be shared with our team as the recognition is appreciated.

With only two easy hours and two turns from Toronto, many planners consider Deerhurst Resort the most complete Ontario meeting facility, especially with our refreshed facilities to include over 300 newly or partially renovated rooms by mid-May, newly created Legacy Hall function space at 11,000 sq. ft., and our new Executive Boardroom. Our team is here to assist whether it is a conference, tradeshow, special event or family getaway – we are an all in one, easy-access, lakeside location for everyone.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

A Great Getaway retreat with delicious food and lots of activities!
Enjoyed a wonderful winter wonderland weekend in February - and the hospitality and friendliness of all the staff was outstanding. Overall, a WOW experience!
Would definitely recommend this resort to all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your time at Deerhurst Resort and that our team created a WOW experience for you. Our company culture statement is to create memories with passion and achieve unparalleled guest loyalty; which by the sounds of it we succeeded! Thank you for the recommendations and the 5 star review. Much appreciated!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My family stayed at Deerhurst for a weekend getaway in Feb 2013. We found the property to be newly renovated and the staff was exceptional. Food service and quality of food was excellent.
We really enjoyed all the winter activities the property had to offer. The Decades show was outstanding! We found the accommodations to be very clean and well maintained with beautiful views. Definitely would go back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us this winter and were able to partake in the many activities and amenities available to our guests. Whatever the season – summer, fall, winter or spring – when it comes to things to do in Muskoka’s, you’re only limited by your imagination. Thank you for sharing your experience with others on TripAdvisor and we look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Deerhurst Resort? Share your experiences!