“Ordinary room and service with great location” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1755 Valley Road, Huntsville, Ontario P1H 1Z8, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Ottawa
“Ordinary room and service with great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We only booked one night and arrived mid afternoon to find our room not ready. Yet guest after guest arrived after us and their rooms were ready. They need a better system and be flexible with room asignments.

Views are spectacular and rooms are standard size. However for 200 a night I expected more.

• Stayed July 2013
Jontonn, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear guest Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our Resort.

Your concern regarding your check in is always something we strive to
make as easy as possible for our guests and indeed room readiness is based on the time
the time the previous guest stays in a room the night before , some guests are tardy and some leave at checkout time and housekeeping staff can only clean the rooms once the guest has left,
we also have to have rooms checked before a guest is allowed to
have access to their room .
We are eased you enjoyed the lake views and hope you will return soon to Hidden Valley
soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I visited Hidden Valley in mid July 2013 through a Living Social deal. The deal included some great value items such as breakfast, a bottle of wine and 2 for 1 dinner options.

Overall our experience was ok. Upon arrival (well after 4pm) we were sorta of checked in by a visibly flustered lady who told us that our room was not ready and for us to come back in an hour. She advised that due to a busy weekend they were behind. When we returned, we were checked in by another front desk lady -who was a lot nicer and only briefly explained the amenities available - we had to return a few times with questions and also to get our bottle of wine that was included in the deal.

The restaurant was great for breakfast - good solid selections and good service. We didnt dine here for dinner though - instead went next door to Deerhurst - which was also a good choice.

The beach and staff is small but friendly. A lot of families come here - so be prepared for crying babies and tons of kids.

All in all, I would return here if I came across another value package like this - not sure if I would pay full price though.

Room Tip: We had a hillside room - no view or balcony on the 2nd floor. If you want a balcony or a view of the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jontonn, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.

I am sorry your room was not ready upon your arrival but that you were able to check in an hour later although you indicated proper information was not given to you at that time .
Pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast and the waterfront overlooking Peninsula Lake, and indeed
as we are a family resort babies and children are encouraged to use the beach along with our other guests .
We hope you will return to Hidden Valley .
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have been staying at this resort for 14 years. We happen to find it while staying at Deerhurst and have made it part of our annual summer vacation every year.
The location is great. Right on the lake with an indoor & outdoor pool. It's also pet friendly so we bring our dog along. The ski hill is empy in the summer and makes a great location for letting your dog run leash free.
The place is clean. It's not a 5 star hotel so if that is what you are expecting you will be disappointed. We did find the service at the restaurant slow during lunch. I don't know why since it wasn't busy. We ordered Nacho's (which were great!), however it took almost 1/2 hour to arrive. It also took our waitress a while to get our drinks. The service during dinner was much better even though it was busy.
The pet friendly rooms are on the 1st floor which is convienent, however the condo's obstruct the view of the lake. We would have prefered being on the top floor with a better view. But it was much easier to take your dog out especially in the morning without having to go down stairs.
The view is wonderful and if you are looking for a great vacation you'll be happy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jontonn, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive review of your stay at Hidden Valley Resort.
I am glad you could enjoy another visit to our resort with your pet who enjoyed running free at the ski hill.
I was sorry to hear you received slow service in the restaurant apologies for this , normally our staff
and kitchen are attentive and timely when delivering and preparing food .
We look forward to welcoming you for your 15th year .
Northern Ontario , Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was there the weekend of July 12th for 2 nights. Upon my arrival I had a little issue with my room. I was on my way to the front desk to address the issue but a young worker lady(I wish I can remember her name) asked me if all was fine with my room. I addressed her my concern and she came into the room right away. We were not able to come to a solutions so we both went to the front desk. The fine man at the front desk contacted the maintenance man on duty right away. To make a long story short all the staff acted so promptly and with smiles on their faces to help me with my issue and also provided me with options if I was not content. The housekeeper even came knocking at my door before her shift ended to ensure all was fine. What great hospitality and service. The same young man working the day shift the next day asked if all was fine. I ensured all was fantastic. Again, the staff working were quite concerned that I have a pleasant stay and I can assure you we did.

Room Tip: brought my own pillow but no need too, the pillows were wonderful
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest ,
Thank you for your wonderful review of Hidden Valley Resort , the positive experience you had while here reinforces to our all our staff just how important superior customer is at all times .
From check in to check out and in between every guest deserves only the best.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Hidden Valley very soon.
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I must say the stay here was quite disappointing. I booked two lake side rooms months in advance. On arrival was told we only had one with a lakeside the other was hillside with no patio door to exit. The rooms were nice but we were surprised when we discovered 4 empty beer cans behind the bed. The service at the bar was very slow apparently as a result of preparations for a wedding. While enjoying a drink on the deck we were asked to leave before the wedding party occupied this space. We did not want to interfere with the wedding and did leave in time. However, felt we should have been warned of this at check in or other arrangements could have been made. It appeared that care to the outside space was lacking.....an empty glass sat outside the exit the entire time we were there. Not a big deal but speaks to lack of attention. As mentioned in another review I had to laugh at the beach towels that were passed out to guests. it was like a joke giving hand towels for the beach and warning guests that they would be charged 25.00 should they fail to return them. Again, not a big deal but doesn't give a good message to the guests. Upon checking out I was extremely disappointed to witness the Manager engaging in a dispute with a dissatisfied guest. I do not know what the issue was and really should not been privy to the entire exchange. I suggest that the Manager would benefit from taking some Conflict resolution or Customer Service courses. It was not a pleasant way to end the stay. I would also suggest that a more efficient check out system be looked into. The views are spectacular at Hidden Valley and many of the staff were pleasant and doing a good job.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest ,
Thank you for your review of our resort.
Your concerns are very important to us, we strive to give our guests the rooms they request and on this occasion we failed to do that , my apologies.
Finding beer cans behind your bed is not acceptable and not typical of our housekeeping department , this issue has been investigated with our Housekeeping Supervisor.
An empty glass left at an exit door for such a length of time is also not acceptable and we are constantly training our staff and managers to always be observant especially at extremely busy times so matters of tidiness doesn't interfere with your experience at our resort.
As I do not know the specifics of the guest and employee ( not a manager)having a dispute I cannot comment but what I can convey to you is all staff are trained in customer dispute resolution and our only concern is to make sure our guests get the satisfaction they deserve.

Indeed the patio was closed for a private function i.e. a wedding and it was posted outside so that guests were aware of this and I am sure if you were asked to vacate the patio it was in a respectful
manner and that you were made to feel comfortable at our indoor bar area . I am sorry you received
slow service at the bar.
Knowing your concerns helps us address issues to better serve our valued guests and for this we thank you and hope that we can welcome you back to Hidden Valley so we can try harder to make your stay all you expect.
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were there for 3 nights and had booked a room with beach/lake view unfortunately on booking in we didn't receive this although our room was changed when we asked. We found the rooms adequate although soundproofing from adjoining rooms is woeful and it felt like the door needed my shoulder to open & close it. Once there the blacony (2nd floor) had a great view and it was good to have asliding fly screen on balcony door.
Surpising there is no lift access for guests.
We never used the beach although it seemed OK and popular
The system of tickets you get issued with for towels, beach access and resort parking didn't seem great - too many pieces of flimsy paper.
It's a pity such a large dining area is so empty most nights with a menu while unexciting poduces good food.
Huntsville is a 10min drive with plenty of options for eating.

Room Tip: Lake or beach view are definitely better than a view of the car park or a grassy slope!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon B, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review Hidden Valley Resort .
I was pleased to hear the front desk managed to accommodate your request for a lakeside room
with a spectacular view of Peninsula Lake.
I am sorry you had issues with noise and the adjoining door in your room.
Indeed we have a big restaurant and this accommodates many functions such as weddings, conferences and many locals and tourists alike enjoy our delicious food.
We are in the process of relaunching a new menu and hope you will return to Hidden Valley in the near future to enjoy our facilities and The Birches Restaurant.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have been up to Hidden Valley for the last 3 years and it has been a good experience. The rooms are nice and updated and priced reasonably. We were up at the resort June 31st to July 3 2013. We had a king room on the lakeside which what we usually get if available. It was very busy on the 31st of June but that is expected on a long weekend. We noticed that the indoor pool area the tiles had been covered with some kind of finish which was lifting and didn't look very nice at all but by the end of our stay the finish had been removed in some spots so I am assuming they will be looking for another solution or go back to the tiles. The indoor pool was very busy most of the time during our stay so we only used it once but mostly enjoy the outdoor pool but there is a big problem right now with two ducks swimming in the pool. It looks cute but they have left there droppings at the bottom of the pool. My husband tried to pick them up with the pool equipment but could not I think only a pool vacuum would be able to get rid of it. They have also soiled the sides of the pool where they sit after their swim. I think the resort should try and put a stop to this because of the mess they are making. I didn't really enjoy the outdoor pool because of the droppings.

We have another few days vacation and probably would consider going to Hidden Valley because we enjoy the area but until the pool is cleaned up I don't think I will return. I do not swim in the lake so the outdoor pool is an important part of my vacation.

Room Tip: Lakeside of course
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing our resort on Trip advisor .
I am pleased that this is your 4th visit to the resort but concerned that your vacation was spoiled because of our resident wildlife , we are trying methods to rid the pool area of the ducks and hope if you return the issue will be solved and you will be able to fully enjoy the outdoor pool.

The surface in our indoor pool is being refinished after problems with our previous surface.
I am glad you enjoyed our renovated rooms and lakeside view of beautiful Peninsula Lake .
I would like to welcome you back to Hidden Valley Resort soon.

Been to Hidden Valley Resort? Share your experiences!