“Sadly would not return to this resort......” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1755 Valley Road, Huntsville, Ontario P1H 1Z8, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Windsor, Canada
“Sadly would not return to this resort......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I must say the stay here was quite disappointing. I booked two lake side rooms months in advance. On arrival was told we only had one with a lakeside the other was hillside with no patio door to exit. The rooms were nice but we were surprised when we discovered 4 empty beer cans behind the bed. The service at the bar was very slow apparently as a result of preparations for a wedding. While enjoying a drink on the deck we were asked to leave before the wedding party occupied this space. We did not want to interfere with the wedding and did leave in time. However, felt we should have been warned of this at check in or other arrangements could have been made. It appeared that care to the outside space was lacking.....an empty glass sat outside the exit the entire time we were there. Not a big deal but speaks to lack of attention. As mentioned in another review I had to laugh at the beach towels that were passed out to guests. it was like a joke giving hand towels for the beach and warning guests that they would be charged 25.00 should they fail to return them. Again, not a big deal but doesn't give a good message to the guests. Upon checking out I was extremely disappointed to witness the Manager engaging in a dispute with a dissatisfied guest. I do not know what the issue was and really should not been privy to the entire exchange. I suggest that the Manager would benefit from taking some Conflict resolution or Customer Service courses. It was not a pleasant way to end the stay. I would also suggest that a more efficient check out system be looked into. The views are spectacular at Hidden Valley and many of the staff were pleasant and doing a good job.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Jontonn, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear guest ,
Thank you for your review of our resort.
Your concerns are very important to us, we strive to give our guests the rooms they request and on this occasion we failed to do that , my apologies.
Finding beer cans behind your bed is not acceptable and not typical of our housekeeping department , this issue has been investigated with our Housekeeping Supervisor.
An empty glass left at an exit door for such a length of time is also not acceptable and we are constantly training our staff and managers to always be observant especially at extremely busy times so matters of tidiness doesn't interfere with your experience at our resort.
As I do not know the specifics of the guest and employee ( not a manager)having a dispute I cannot comment but what I can convey to you is all staff are trained in customer dispute resolution and our only concern is to make sure our guests get the satisfaction they deserve.

Indeed the patio was closed for a private function i.e. a wedding and it was posted outside so that guests were aware of this and I am sure if you were asked to vacate the patio it was in a respectful
manner and that you were made to feel comfortable at our indoor bar area . I am sorry you received
slow service at the bar.
Knowing your concerns helps us address issues to better serve our valued guests and for this we thank you and hope that we can welcome you back to Hidden Valley so we can try harder to make your stay all you expect.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were there for 3 nights and had booked a room with beach/lake view unfortunately on booking in we didn't receive this although our room was changed when we asked. We found the rooms adequate although soundproofing from adjoining rooms is woeful and it felt like the door needed my shoulder to open & close it. Once there the blacony (2nd floor) had a great view and it was good to have asliding fly screen on balcony door.
Surpising there is no lift access for guests.
We never used the beach although it seemed OK and popular
The system of tickets you get issued with for towels, beach access and resort parking didn't seem great - too many pieces of flimsy paper.
It's a pity such a large dining area is so empty most nights with a menu while unexciting poduces good food.
Huntsville is a 10min drive with plenty of options for eating.

Room Tip: Lake or beach view are definitely better than a view of the car park or a grassy slope!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon B, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review Hidden Valley Resort .
I was pleased to hear the front desk managed to accommodate your request for a lakeside room
with a spectacular view of Peninsula Lake.
I am sorry you had issues with noise and the adjoining door in your room.
Indeed we have a big restaurant and this accommodates many functions such as weddings, conferences and many locals and tourists alike enjoy our delicious food.
We are in the process of relaunching a new menu and hope you will return to Hidden Valley in the near future to enjoy our facilities and The Birches Restaurant.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have been up to Hidden Valley for the last 3 years and it has been a good experience. The rooms are nice and updated and priced reasonably. We were up at the resort June 31st to July 3 2013. We had a king room on the lakeside which what we usually get if available. It was very busy on the 31st of June but that is expected on a long weekend. We noticed that the indoor pool area the tiles had been covered with some kind of finish which was lifting and didn't look very nice at all but by the end of our stay the finish had been removed in some spots so I am assuming they will be looking for another solution or go back to the tiles. The indoor pool was very busy most of the time during our stay so we only used it once but mostly enjoy the outdoor pool but there is a big problem right now with two ducks swimming in the pool. It looks cute but they have left there droppings at the bottom of the pool. My husband tried to pick them up with the pool equipment but could not I think only a pool vacuum would be able to get rid of it. They have also soiled the sides of the pool where they sit after their swim. I think the resort should try and put a stop to this because of the mess they are making. I didn't really enjoy the outdoor pool because of the droppings.

We have another few days vacation and probably would consider going to Hidden Valley because we enjoy the area but until the pool is cleaned up I don't think I will return. I do not swim in the lake so the outdoor pool is an important part of my vacation.

Room Tip: Lakeside of course
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing our resort on Trip advisor .
I am pleased that this is your 4th visit to the resort but concerned that your vacation was spoiled because of our resident wildlife , we are trying methods to rid the pool area of the ducks and hope if you return the issue will be solved and you will be able to fully enjoy the outdoor pool.

The surface in our indoor pool is being refinished after problems with our previous surface.
I am glad you enjoyed our renovated rooms and lakeside view of beautiful Peninsula Lake .
I would like to welcome you back to Hidden Valley Resort soon.
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I work out of town a lot for work and Huntsville is a place I travel to on a regular basis. I had stayed at several hotels in Huntsville and decided to check out the room rates at Hidden Valley. I was shocked to find out there rates were cheaper than Holiday Inn Express so I booked a room there.
WOW what a difference,right on the water and beautiful.
There is a restaurant in the hotel that serves great food so I don't have to venture out anywhere to eat.The rooms are rustic and the beds are the most comfortable I have slept on.
The hotel staff are amazing and I always feel like I'm on vacation.
The rates do increase at the end of June but that is the same for every hotel.

Why stay anywhere else when you can stay at Hidden Valley?

Room Tip: I have never stayed in a bad room. The lakeview rooms more expensive but not by much I usually sta...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for such a glowing review of our property , it will be shared with all our staff at the resort
and they will be delighted to know their hard work is worthwhile .
We welcome you back to Hidden Valley in the very near future.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Took a weekend getaway when the city was flooded due to rain. it was peaceful, though not the best time to travel. Good in winter for winter activities such as skiing.

the hotel itself was very nice and hospitable. only thing was that I wish the restaurant had more food choices. the menu was very limited and it was a drive to get to another restaurant. They should provide more seafood and vegetarian items in the menu.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking time to post a review on Trip Advisor.
I am glad you found our Resort hospitable and peaceful ,we work hard to provide our guests with
impeccable service and surroundings that enable guests to relax.

I am sorry that you found the restaurant limited in vegetarian and seafood choices , we are in the process of launching The Birches new menu and hope if you return that there will be something
more to your liking .
We look forward to seeing you again at Hidden Valley Resort .
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

In our recent stay, found the place to be quite nice, not as bad as some other folks found it to be. It would do with some upgrades in some areas. The rooms though could do with an update is clean and decent sized, clean bathroom with nice shower. For the right price, we would go back again.

One of the friends went for a swim in the pool and didn't hear her complain. The restaurant actually looked nicer than average. The patio overlooked beautiful scenery of the lake. We enjoyed a nice stroll to the waterside. This resort is located right next to Deer Hurst Resort which we drove by to check out.

We also had the 2 for 1 dinner deal. We wouldn't say that food was bad, we enjoyed the food. Our waiter was friendly and joked with us, service though was rather slow. Food took a while to come. Also because we had the last seating, they ran out of some of the dessert advertised.

The complimentary continental breakfast had more varieties than the average continental breakfasts. Found the croissants, the pastries and the bread to be better than average. Service though was bit slow as we had to wait a while for coffee to be brought over.

The grounds of this resort is quite spacious, the entrance and the reception area looks inviting. Service at the desk was friendly. Overall, we'd say our stay here was not bad, we enjoyed the stay. If you're expecting a 4 star resort, then you mgiht be disappointed. Otherwise, this place is ok.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Jon B, Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip advisor .
I am pleased you found your room clean and comfortable although you mentioned it was in need of upgrading, we are in the process of renovating the remaining 25% of our guest rooms and they are on our schedule, I am sorry you didnt receive one of these renovated rooms.

Your mentioned that you enjoyed the view of our beach waterfront and that your server loooked after you well, but I was sorry to hear that the food was tardy coming out of the kitchen and coffee service was slow, for this I apoogise and I will take steps to rectify this in future.
It must have been dissapointing that our feature dessert ran out , hopefully your server tempted you with something else.
Our continental breakfast is very popular and knowing you enjoyed it is very important .
I hope we can strive to make your next visit to Hidden Valley resort a 5 star experience.
Thamesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed for work meetings. Facilities were great for a group of about 100. Food was fresh & well-presented. Enjoyed a BBQ lunch on the Deck - wonderful weather. Glad it rained later in the day. Accepted the offer for a lakeview & really enjoyed that. Screen door, nice chair for an evening sit. Staff were very friendly, accommodating. The property has had an ownership change & are diligently making improvements. I'd go back in a flash.

Room Tip: Choose the lakeview!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jon B, Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking time to reveiw Hidden Valley Resort in such a positive way !
I am very pleased that you enjoyed our fresh food and bbq on our patio overlooking Peninsula
Lake which indeed does have a spectaular view, our chef and staff work hard to bring the best
and freshest food to our guests and will be delighted to hear these positive comments.
Excellent customer service is a priority at Hidden Valley resort.

I am extremely happy that you wish to return to Hidden Valley resort where you can enjoy one orf our newly renovated rooms with a lakeview.
We have more rooms on our schedule for renovations and are continually upgrading and assessing what will make our guests come back again and again.

Been to Hidden Valley Resort? Share your experiences!