“Quite nice” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 18 hotels in Huntsville
Toronto, Canada
“Quite nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

In our recent stay, found the place to be quite nice, not as bad as some other folks found it to be. It would do with some upgrades in some areas. The rooms though could do with an update is clean and decent sized, clean bathroom with nice shower. For the right price, we would go back again.

One of the friends went for a swim in the pool and didn't hear her complain. The restaurant actually looked nicer than average. The patio overlooked beautiful scenery of the lake. We enjoyed a nice stroll to the waterside. This resort is located right next to Deer Hurst Resort which we drove by to check out.

We also had the 2 for 1 dinner deal. We wouldn't say that food was bad, we enjoyed the food. Our waiter was friendly and joked with us, service though was rather slow. Food took a while to come. Also because we had the last seating, they ran out of some of the dessert advertised.

The complimentary continental breakfast had more varieties than the average continental breakfasts. Found the croissants, the pastries and the bread to be better than average. Service though was bit slow as we had to wait a while for coffee to be brought over.

The grounds of this resort is quite spacious, the entrance and the reception area looks inviting. Service at the desk was friendly. Overall, we'd say our stay here was not bad, we enjoyed the stay. If you're expecting a 4 star resort, then you mgiht be disappointed. Otherwise, this place is ok.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip advisor .
I am pleased you found your room clean and comfortable although you mentioned it was in need of upgrading, we are in the process of renovating the remaining 25% of our guest rooms and they are on our schedule, I am sorry you didnt receive one of these renovated rooms.

Your mentioned that you enjoyed the view of our beach waterfront and that your server loooked after you well, but I was sorry to hear that the food was tardy coming out of the kitchen and coffee service was slow, for this I apoogise and I will take steps to rectify this in future.
It must have been dissapointing that our feature dessert ran out , hopefully your server tempted you with something else.
Our continental breakfast is very popular and knowing you enjoyed it is very important .
I hope we can strive to make your next visit to Hidden Valley resort a 5 star experience.

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Thamesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed for work meetings. Facilities were great for a group of about 100. Food was fresh & well-presented. Enjoyed a BBQ lunch on the Deck - wonderful weather. Glad it rained later in the day. Accepted the offer for a lakeview & really enjoyed that. Screen door, nice chair for an evening sit. Staff were very friendly, accommodating. The property has had an ownership change & are diligently making improvements. I'd go back in a flash.

Room Tip: Choose the lakeview!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking time to reveiw Hidden Valley Resort in such a positive way !
I am very pleased that you enjoyed our fresh food and bbq on our patio overlooking Peninsula
Lake which indeed does have a spectaular view, our chef and staff work hard to bring the best
and freshest food to our guests and will be delighted to hear these positive comments.
Excellent customer service is a priority at Hidden Valley resort.

I am extremely happy that you wish to return to Hidden Valley resort where you can enjoy one orf our newly renovated rooms with a lakeview.
We have more rooms on our schedule for renovations and are continually upgrading and assessing what will make our guests come back again and again.
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The location of the hotel is special - on beautiful waterfront just outside of Huntsville. One of my favorite things to do when up north is take my coffee down to the dock in the morning and sit in a muskoka chair and enjoy the view and peacefulness. Unfortunately that is not possible due to the need of the restaurant on top of the hill to blast amplified music at 8:00 am !!! really is it necessary in the morning.???. You are doing a good job or ruining one of the hotels greatest assets .. your special location on waterfront ....tranquility away from the noise, and hustle buste of the city!! Otherwise the hotel was fine .. dining room .. so so.

Room Tip: ask for a waterfront room ..
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest
Thank you for responding to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Hidden Valley Resort
and that you were pleased with our location looking over our beautiful waterfront .
Your comment regarding the loud music coming from the dining room is valid and I am sorry that your peaceful morning was impacted in such a negative way and for this I am very sorry.
The music should not be disturbing our guests who are outside relaxing and I have put in place different procedures so this will not affect our future guests. thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I hope you will return to Hidden Valley so you can see for your self that we value our guests opinions at all times and strive constantly to make sure our guests feel special.
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I took advantage of an online deal (as I have many times) to try out a new place. It started off horrible. The front desk woman was extremely rude. I had called once before even purchasing the package to ask questions. I called again to book by actually speaking to a person and once again asked questions and verified all of my details. I arrived and was simply told the person I spoke to (BOTH TIMES) was new and she was wrong so I was basically out of luck for my arrangements. And then lectured. I asked how long they had known and was told "since we made up the keys this morning" but I never got notified of the issues and the changes that were to cost me a couple HUNDRED more!!! I have NEVER had problems with any online promotion until now.

I did get to talk to the head of the front staff when I was checking out and he made up for the horrible experience with his compassion with the issues, he checked into things and verified all the calls I had made and was extrememly genuinely apologetic and adjusted my bill accordingly (thank-you).

As for the rest of the experience... most of the staff were VERY rude when finding out you were there with this particular package. I had rolled eyes, sighs and extremely poor service from the restaurant staff in the evening. While I thought the main course was actually very good (Pickerel) the package meal options were not explained and somehow our 2 for 1 dinner was almost $100. We were asked for drink orders once but then never again (we were hoping to order wine with dinner) and they brought bread to us at the patio table but there were no plates and she dissappeared so we went ahead anyway because this meal was already taking forever. I guess there were no options for kids (we had 2 with us) as none were presented to us. Thanks goodness they like salad!

There is a beautiful view from the patio but things took so long we had to send the kids down to the beach just to keep them busy and we were still waiting for someone when they got back up to the patio.

We choose to give up our dinner that came with the package the following night.

The music pumped through the hotel (patio/restaurant, pool area) was horrible 80's pop ...sorry boy george while trying to enjoy dinner? Really? I felt bad for the couples around us (we were a family) trying to have a nice relaxing time and this garbage totally ruined any mood, breakfast or dinner! Even some muzac or quiet jazz would have done!

The rooms were sort of clean. I noticed the place must use harsh chemicals because the surfaces of the counters in the bathroom were dull as were the tiles in the pool..the coating on the ceramics were worn off making it look dated and dirty. It wasn't dirty but it would make a huge difference to update the pool...it makes it look very run down. The outside pool was not cleaned...I guess the weekday guests did not get that as part of the services?

I do recommend a view of the lake. It is a beautiful spot. I know there were people in rooms next to us but we never heard a thing! The beds are VERY comfy.

Would I go back?..I'm still debating. The only thing that would keep me from going back would be on principle. IF you are going to make an offer and try to get new customers (like myself looking for places to bring back the family for longer stays) then please inform your staff of the details AND make sure they treat those people with the same respect as anyone else who goes there...unless they were treating us the same as they would treat other guests..in that case, forget it!

Room Tip: Get the Lake view in the summer for sure! worth every cent with a nice balcony and chairs...very rel...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jon B, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review Hidden Valley Resort.
I apologize for the confusion upon check in ,this is not a normal occurrence and your feelings of
being unwelcome at the resort are not acceptable.
Your dining experience was obviously not up to your expectations , our dining room staff are usually attentive to all our guests and obviously you felt ignored and for this please accept my apologies.
Regarding the amount you paid for dinner without knowing more details I cannot comment , but it is not our intention to overcharge our guests without their knowledge.

We are undergoing renovations in our indoor pool area but I was disappointed that the outdoor pool
appeared dirty during your visit , our maintenance staff are diligent about keeping our pools clean for our guests but if we fell short in that area please accept my apologies.

I am glad you enjoyed the view of Peninsula Lake and hope that I can welcome you back to
Hidden Valley Resort once again so your next visit will be a more positive experience.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We got an online deal for 1 night. There wasn't anything open at the time so it was just a time to relax and kick back. The rooms were average, nothing fancy, the usual - I would say a 2.5 star standard in Toronto. The restaurant is well setup and has a nice view. That's about all that's good about it. We had dinner there, and the food looked amazing but it lacked an important feat - TASTE! It was super bland and a complete waste of my money. Then breakfast was just as bad except it wasn't as expensive. The hot breakfast was also unbearable.
Overall an average experience if you discount the restaurant let-down. Will not return here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor about your stay at Hidden Valley Resort.
We are pleased that you liked our restaurant lay out and the spectacular view of Peninsula Lake while dining.
I am sorry you felt your money was wasted on your meal and that the hot breakfast was not to your liking, I do hope you brought this to the attention of your server or our food and beverage manager, who would have been delighted to prepare you food more to your taste.

I also hope that you will return to Hidden Valley Resort so we can do our utmost to make sure
your visit is more pleasing for you.
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Though we were treated (mostly) well, there were a few issues with this 'resort' (aka glorified hotel).

The set menu ($30 per person) offered 9oz steak. It was awful. It tasted burnt and was chewy as ever. The consistency was like a well-done steak, though mine was cooked medium-rare as requested. Aside from the awful food, the dinner service at the restaurant was good. Our waitress and the greeter were both very nice and attentive. Breakfast staff only ever came to refill coffee at other tables, not water at ours.

The booths in the restaurant always had leftover crumbs on them, even in the morning when we were the first people in the restaurant...full of crumbs. The seats should be vaccumed every day, at minimum dusted off prior to seating patrons. Dinner crumbs left from the night before should not be on the seats the next morning.

Though I was lucky to score the last non-feather pillow, there were none left if I wanted a second. I was told they were all thrown out and I was very lucky to get the one I did (I can only hope they didn't dig mine out of the garbage!!!!). I asked what they do for people with allergies to feather pillows - like myself - and I was told they would have to bring their own pillows. So....this accommodation isn't very accommodating. I've never heard of a hotel telling their guests to bring something as basic as a pillow.

Don't bother paying the upgrade to "Lakeside". It only means you'll stay on the side of the resort where the lake is....it is NOT LakeVIEW. You will be staring at townhomes/chalets instead of the Lake.

Overall I would say don't pay full price at this 'resort'. Either get your stay at a discount (like I did...LivingSocial) or save your money and go to other resorts in the area with more ammentities (golf, spa etc).

Room Tip: Don't bother paying the upgrade to "Lakeside". It only means you'll stay on the si...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon B, Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest I am sorry that your experience at our property was not up to your expectations and that your meal was not to made to your specific wishes .
As for the issue of crumbs left over from previous evenings service , this has been brought to the attention of our food and beverage manager and positively dealt with , this should not have occurred and I apologize .

Your server should have been more attentive to you during your breakfast with regards to your needs for beverages . We are always providing training to our wait staff to better serve our guests at all times,and we fell short in that area on your visit. I can assure you this is not a
common occurrence .

I am pleased you received excellent service during your evening meals.

As for the reception telling you that you were lucky to get a non feather pillow this is not our hotels protocol to say this to our guests and simply someone should have got you another non feather pillow as soon as possible , this incident should not have occurred as we have brand new
pillows available for our guests and certainly do to expect them to bring their own , we do in fact have many request for guest to purchase our pillows.

You were not happy with your Lakeside room and we hope should you return to Hidden Valley we can do better in offering you a room location that would please you more as we do have many rooms that have a spectacular view of beautiful Peninsula Lake but were occupied at the time of your visit.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and thankfully it was just one night. The pool was discusting, we felt slimy when we got out and the pool deck was moldy and tiles were coming off and the fake roll in decking over the tiles was bubbling and peeling off!? The out door pool was just opening for the season and it was dirty. The hallways had buckets in them catching a leak in two spots!?!? Really. It was gross. The room was adequate and bedding was fine but EVERYTHING needed an update. The service was ok but slow at the restaurant and the waitress spilled a drink on my friend. The bartender was great. We had a nice time as the view was nice but we were really disappointed with the condition of the hotel. They use the word "resort" loosely.

• Stayed June 2013
Jon B, Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel even though it was a negative experience for you and for that I apologize.
I am sorry that you found our some facilities such As the pool deck
In need of repair , yes we have had difficulty resurfacing our pool deck this will be resolved soon

You also mentioned a staff member spilling a drink on your friend ,I assume this was an accident and I am sure the server apologized for this incident .I am glad the bartender provide you with good service .
As for the buckets in the hallway , yes sometimes a leak can occur quite unexpectedly , but normally our maintenance department keep our hotel in good repair for our guests.
I do not know what room you were staying in but more than 75 percent of our guest rooms have been renovated and rooms that haven't are on our renovation schedule , I am sorry that your accommodation was not up to your expectations.
I am pleased you found our beds clean and comfortable
Guest reviews allow us to continually improve our property.
Hopefully you will allow us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Been to Hidden Valley Resort? Share your experiences!