“Food is awful, restaurant is dirty, service is passable” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2 Trips, 1 Night Free*
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
“Food is awful, restaurant is dirty, service is passable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Though we were treated (mostly) well, there were a few issues with this 'resort' (aka glorified hotel).

The set menu ($30 per person) offered 9oz steak. It was awful. It tasted burnt and was chewy as ever. The consistency was like a well-done steak, though mine was cooked medium-rare as requested. Aside from the awful food, the dinner service at the restaurant was good. Our waitress and the greeter were both very nice and attentive. Breakfast staff only ever came to refill coffee at other tables, not water at ours.

The booths in the restaurant always had leftover crumbs on them, even in the morning when we were the first people in the restaurant...full of crumbs. The seats should be vaccumed every day, at minimum dusted off prior to seating patrons. Dinner crumbs left from the night before should not be on the seats the next morning.

Though I was lucky to score the last non-feather pillow, there were none left if I wanted a second. I was told they were all thrown out and I was very lucky to get the one I did (I can only hope they didn't dig mine out of the garbage!!!!). I asked what they do for people with allergies to feather pillows - like myself - and I was told they would have to bring their own pillows. So....this accommodation isn't very accommodating. I've never heard of a hotel telling their guests to bring something as basic as a pillow.

Don't bother paying the upgrade to "Lakeside". It only means you'll stay on the side of the resort where the lake is....it is NOT LakeVIEW. You will be staring at townhomes/chalets instead of the Lake.

Overall I would say don't pay full price at this 'resort'. Either get your stay at a discount (like I did...LivingSocial) or save your money and go to other resorts in the area with more ammentities (golf, spa etc).

Room Tip: Don't bother paying the upgrade to "Lakeside". It only means you'll stay on the si...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon B, Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest I am sorry that your experience at our property was not up to your expectations and that your meal was not to made to your specific wishes .
As for the issue of crumbs left over from previous evenings service , this has been brought to the attention of our food and beverage manager and positively dealt with , this should not have occurred and I apologize .

Your server should have been more attentive to you during your breakfast with regards to your needs for beverages . We are always providing training to our wait staff to better serve our guests at all times,and we fell short in that area on your visit. I can assure you this is not a
common occurrence .

I am pleased you received excellent service during your evening meals.

As for the reception telling you that you were lucky to get a non feather pillow this is not our hotels protocol to say this to our guests and simply someone should have got you another non feather pillow as soon as possible , this incident should not have occurred as we have brand new
pillows available for our guests and certainly do to expect them to bring their own , we do in fact have many request for guest to purchase our pillows.

You were not happy with your Lakeside room and we hope should you return to Hidden Valley we can do better in offering you a room location that would please you more as we do have many rooms that have a spectacular view of beautiful Peninsula Lake but were occupied at the time of your visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and thankfully it was just one night. The pool was discusting, we felt slimy when we got out and the pool deck was moldy and tiles were coming off and the fake roll in decking over the tiles was bubbling and peeling off!? The out door pool was just opening for the season and it was dirty. The hallways had buckets in them catching a leak in two spots!?!? Really. It was gross. The room was adequate and bedding was fine but EVERYTHING needed an update. The service was ok but slow at the restaurant and the waitress spilled a drink on my friend. The bartender was great. We had a nice time as the view was nice but we were really disappointed with the condition of the hotel. They use the word "resort" loosely.

• Stayed June 2013
Jon B, Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel even though it was a negative experience for you and for that I apologize.
I am sorry that you found our some facilities such As the pool deck
In need of repair , yes we have had difficulty resurfacing our pool deck this will be resolved soon

You also mentioned a staff member spilling a drink on your friend ,I assume this was an accident and I am sure the server apologized for this incident .I am glad the bartender provide you with good service .
As for the buckets in the hallway , yes sometimes a leak can occur quite unexpectedly , but normally our maintenance department keep our hotel in good repair for our guests.
I do not know what room you were staying in but more than 75 percent of our guest rooms have been renovated and rooms that haven't are on our renovation schedule , I am sorry that your accommodation was not up to your expectations.
I am pleased you found our beds clean and comfortable
Guest reviews allow us to continually improve our property.
Hopefully you will allow us the opportunity to serve you in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We had a lovely little mini vacation and actually decided to stay an extra day. Wonderful view from our room . Beds were extremely comfortable and room was clean and cozy. Front staff were very approachable and helpful. We had a couple of meals at the Birches restaurant where we found the food delicious and reasonably priced. Will probably make this an annual get away!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony facing the lake.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for the compliments in your review of Hidden Valley Resort , all the employees work extremely hard to provide clean, comfortable and courteous service to our visitors but actually seeing it in a review provides feedback that shows us that we are doing a good job.
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Rooms were clean, well maintained, and great value. The only complaint was that the water was too cold so they wouldn't let us use the canoes. Continental breakfast included, value added!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Trip advisorDear Guest ,
Thank you for taking the time to review Hidden Valley Resort on Trip Advisor.
I am sincerely sorry that you were not able to enjoy a canoe trip in beautiful Peninsula Lake, guest safety is of primary importance and maintenance on the canoes had not been performed for the summer season
I hope if you return you will be able to use all our facilities to your satisfaction.
Our employees work hard to maintain and keep our rooms and facilities clean for our guests and I am glad you found this part of your stay excellent.
I hope you will return to Hidden Valley Resort very soon to enjoy the beautiful summer season.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Hidden Valley Resort really exceeded our expectations. My family loved it! The service was amazing and the staff really went out of their way to be accommodating. The rooms were spacious and clean, the grounds were beautiful. The indoor saltwater pool was refreshing and well maintained, and the beach area was so much fun. We can't wait to go back, I would highly recommend a stay at Hidden Valley Resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Guest ,
Thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor and for such a stellar review of Hidden Valley Resort .
Customer service is very important to our employees and we are always trying to improve ways for our guests to feel very special during their stay here.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Sunshine Coast, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

we booked in on our way across canada with a discounted price - cheapest apparent in huntsville this day. very nice, very comfortable, very clean. only point was that room, 206, though having a great view of lake must have had thin adjoining doors. noisy neighbours made this a problem. oh well, could have happened anywhere. supper, though not cheap, was very good and greatly enjoyed. and thanks chris for your play-list. we'd be back without hesitation.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank-you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We would love to have you stay with us again. We are happy that you found value in our pricing and that you had the opportunity to find us here in beautiful Huntsville, on the shores of Lake Peninsula.
Thank-you for your business and we look forward to your return.
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

There have been many up grades to the Lobby and grounds since our last visit. We enjoyed a wonderful Dinner starting with an amazing bowl of Cream of Carrot & Tomato Soup. Followed with a well presented plate of NY Strip Lion Served with a Mushroom &Cognac Peppercorn Cream Sauce on a bed of Vegetables. Amazing. Desert was the choice of NY Style Cheesecake, Bumbleberry or Peacan Pie.

Another choice was Penne Seafood Medley with Baby Clams, Tiger Shrimp, Calamari & Seared Scallops served in a White Wine & Butter Sauce with Cherry Tomatoes, Chives & Peppers.

After dinner we went for a walk around the grounds. Work in progress to repair the dock, but beautiful evening to walk and look at the lake.

There is an indoor and outdoor pool. A lounge with a big beautiful deck to enjoy your drink with a view of the lake. Plenty of table and chairs for everyone.

We had a nice room, Room 303, with a little balcony to sit and watch people come and go. Free internet and free parking.

For me, my only complaint would be the mattress and pillows. This room has a very hard bed and flat pillows. I love a firm, but not to hard, bed with fluffy pillows. So for some this would be the perfect room.

The staff were great. From the Reception, to the servers, even though we didn't see the maids, garden keepers, chefs, etc. they to were obviously doing a great job.

Would I stay again. Yes. Beautiful location, wonderful staff, good value. Kudos Hidden Valley Resort.

Room Tip: Be sure to enjoy a meal at Birches Restaurant. Bring a bathing suit and most important, bring your...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. It sounds like you enjoyed everything that we have to offer. Well perhaps our new beds were a little firm for your liking and for that I am sorry. That was great feedback regarding our dining room. I think we offer excellent food at fair prices with a wonderful selection and view. I think you would agree with me based on your review. When you return you will see the dock repairs completed.( what a terrible flood) Our team continues the commitment to exceeding guest expectations. We hope that you agree!
Thank-you for your feedback and for your business. I hope we have the pleasure of serving you again.
Scptt

Been to Hidden Valley Resort? Share your experiences!