“Nice place to stay outside of Huntsville” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 18 hotels in Huntsville
Kingston, Canada
“Nice place to stay outside of Huntsville”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We have stayed at Hidden Valley several times, but this was the first time since we had a baby, which brought some issues to light. The front doors are not automatic, making it very difficult to navigate an infant in a stroller and all our baby gear. I can only imagine how someone with mobility issues would be frustrated by the front entrance as well, which is unfortunate because the rest of the hotel appears to be accessible. Also, the crib we requested in the online reservation was not in the room upon our arrival, even though the front desk assured us that it was set up in there when we checked in. After calling the front desk from the room, a playpen finally arrived half an hour later, but we had to set it up ourselves. Apart from these 2 things, though, we enjoyed our stay and found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We didn't order food, but we went for a drink in the bar and found it warm and welcoming. The view from the lakeside rooms is lovely. Overall, if you don't have mobility issues and don't mind struggling with a baby in a stroller, I would recommend Hidden Valley Resort.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra for the lake view. Make sure to ask for your CAA/AAA discount.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with Trip Advisor.
We really look forward to all of the feed back that we receive from our guests. As you can probably understand it offers us the opportunity to make adjustments to our business and further improve on our guests services.
It is unfortunate that you had to wait for a crib in your room. That was an error on our part and for that I must apologize. I am glad it did not inconvenience you too badly. It was nice to see that you took advantage of our lake side rooms! The view is indeed splendid.
We are planning to have our front doors renovated to include automatic door openers.
Thank-you once again for your business,

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Quinte West
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed at Hidden Valley the first weekend of March, 2013. The staff are very friendly and accommodating and made us feel like valued customers. Our room was very clean and quiet. The boys loved the pool, which was also very clean. The restaurant is a little bit pricey for what you get. The good news is though that the resort is close enough to town where there are quite a few dining options. I would say this hotel is a good choice for families with pets.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
We love to get feedback from all of our guests! It helps us along our journey to excellence in hospitality. Thank -you for sharing your experience and your opinions on Trip Advisor.
I agree we are a great location for a family get away. We will continue to offer the best value and service that we can give all of our guests as well as continue to give great food and beverage options in our restaurant. Once again thank-you for your business and we look forward to your return.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The rooms were clean and an ok size. I wouldn't pay extra for a lake view room since I paid extra and the view I had was mostly of the condos between the hotel and the lake (we were able to see a sliver of water). All in all, not really worth the cost but at least it was clean. It might have been worth the money if breakfast was included. Bees nests on the balcony (and it looked like they were on many of the other balconys as well).

Room Tip: Lake view room is not worth the extra money.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Hi and thanks for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. So you stayed with us back in September and you are posting your review in February. That is interesting but never the less we love all the feedback we can get. I am glad you found our room clean to your satisfaction. We work very hard to make sure cleanliness is our first priority.
Not to pick apart your review but we do not offer any lake view rooms at our resort. We do however distinguish our rooms by either lake side or hill side and the room that you stayed in and paid a slightly higher rate was newly renovated with several upgrades. You were not paying extra for any promised view of the lake. The balcony is a wonderful extra in September and I know you would have enjoyed the colorful surroundings from that vantage point.
Depending on the package you selected and the date that you stayed you could have had your breakfast included but as a standard we do not include breakfast with the room rate. I hope you return again and that we have the opportunity to serve you. Thank-you again for your business.
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I've stayed at Hidden Valley Resort a couple of times and attended conventions there also. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and very welcoming and comfortable. It's not overly fancy, but quite nice. The food was very good, however I think it is a bit pricey for what you get.
All said and done it is a great place to stay in the area for the price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
It was great to have you back with us again. Thank-you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. It is really easy for us to be friendly and helpful when we get to have nice people like you to deal with. We will continue to do more of the same in the future and perhaps the next time you are here we could discuss our food program in more detail. I would love to get more specific details from you. I hope to see you again soon,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have been travelling to Hunstville for many years. This past summer I wrote a review for Tripadvisor on another local hotel, expressing my disappointment and quest for a new place to stay...well...we've found it! This is not a fancy spot and agree the breakie was not very good but value for your dollar is great here. The rooms are cozy (might get two next time for our family of 5) but clean. LIke most who visit Hunstville in the summer or the winter - you really just need a home base and place to lay your head - there are too many things to do to be cooped up in your room, so why pay lots of money when you can find a good little hotel like this. We will definately visit again. We even stayed through New Year's Eve and were delighted that it was nice a quiet. Pool was warm for the kids and the skiing was so close by. Good job Hidden Valley Resort!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
That's fantastic! We are thrilled to be your new "go to" spot in Huntsville. We are fortunate to be close to the ski hill in fact I hope you just walked across the road and skied from our resort. Yes our pool is a very attractive spot for our winter guests with great views of the lake and the Ski Hills. I am somewhat concerned about your breakfast experience however. This is not the quality that I expect for your enjoyment and I noticed a couple previous postings on TripAdvisor shared the same feelings. I assure you that I am meeting today with my chef and we are going to take a closer look at what we offer our guests for breakfast. I am confident that your next visit to Hidden Valley Resort will include a very different breakfast experience for you!
Thank-you for sharing your post and we look forward to your next visit.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Having gotten married at Hidden Valley a few years ago we choose Hidden Valley as a nice place for a romantic getaway during the busy Christmas break.

The resort looks great, the staff were very friendly and welcoming and the room was quite large. As it was very cold out we decided to have a nice hot shower before having dinner at the onsite restaurant. We were pretty surprised that there was no hot water. We waited for a bit but still no hot water. We went to dinner anyway and it was fantastic. Couldn’t have been better. Great food and great service at a reasonable price. Getting back to the room we tried the shower again and it was slightly warmer but still nowhere near comfortable. I called the front desk and was told it was supply and demand. At this time I also noticed that all the fixtures in the bathroom, shower head, tub faucet and toilet were all loose and were either poorly mounted or not mounted at all. Also no garbage cans in the entire room. Only a recycling bin. The bed was supposed to be a queen but I could have sworn it was a double. It was also rock hard. The next morning we again tried to have showers and were greeted once again with lukewarm water. If the problem is supply and demand perhaps more supply is in order as obviously the demand is there. All in all I would go to the restaurant anytime but will be staying elsewhere. Too bad. I understand the resort has changed hands a few times in the last few years and it’s time to spend some money and do some upgrades and maintenance. They've got a great site and great looking resort but with experiences like this that will only go so far.

Room Tip: Get a room on the lakeside if you want a view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank-you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor even though it was not the experience that you were looking forward to. Yes indeed we had a hot water problem the night you stayed here. We worked very hard through the night to get it resolved and unfortunately your stay was impacted in a negative way.
I am not sure why you did not have a waste basket in your room but I hope we gave you one as soon as you asked for it.
The bed in the room that you stayed in is a Queen bed and they are firm. We get very few complaints regarding our beds infact we have requests from guests to purchase our beds. I am sorry if it was not to your preference.
I enjoy the food in our restaurant as well and I am very happy to see you would return for our dining experience. I would be happy to discuss this with you directly if you want to contact me.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This review is a little late because we stayed at Hidden Valley Resort during the Thanksgiving weekend in October.

Over the years, we’ve stayed here at four different times under four managements. Last year it seemed to be an independent hotel, but this year I was directed to the reservation website of Choice Hotels.

We came with a friend, who stayed in a separate room, and both rooms have been renovated. Since the Thanksgiving weekend gets busy, I booked two months in advance, got a discounted rate but was assigned a room without a bath, which I would have liked. The hotel itself is all right. The rooms are clean and are in working order. I always ask for a lakeside room, so there is a pretty view of Peninsula Lake.

We stay at this hotel because of its relative proximity to Algonquin Park. where we go for hikes. Accommodations in the park are either rustic or expensive, so while Hidden Valley Resort is about a 40-minute drive to Algonquin, it is just off Highway 60 and is in the beginning of a beautiful drive, especially in the fall.

What I don’t like about the hotel is the breakfast. The selection is fairly limited: some hot foods that sit in warmers, so they tend to be dry or greasy (home fries, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage). The bread selection is limited to white and wheat loaves, muffins, and good croissants. There are cereals and a fruit salad that is more canned than fresh. This is typical North American fare, but if the breakfast is not complimentary, I would prefer to see an a la carte menu; alternatively, I’d rather pay more and get better quality food. Also, the buffet is supposed to close at 10:30, but by 9:30 staff starts clearing the food. The man who serves could be a little bit friendlier. He isn’t rude, just reserved and curt. Although it would have been convenient to eat at the hotel, the following days, we drove on highway 60 and got better food and service from local restaurants. By the way, our breakfast experience last year was the same.

We will still go back to Hidden Valley because the hotel itself is good, but we’ll eat breakfast somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeside room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank-you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you have continued to visit us over the years and that you like us enough to return. I am Sorry that you don't find value in our breakfast buffet and that some of our selections do not meet with your approval. We do not always have a buffet for breakfast and often we do offer our a la carte menu. However, the next time you are here please ask your server Mark (the gentleman you referred to in your comment) if it would be possible to have breakfast prepared to order. If we are offering our buffet menu for breakfast we certainly can prepare your eggs to order. If you were here on Thanksgiving week end we were probably changing over our breakfast buffet to brunch when you saw our team changing up the buffet. These are all valid comments that you shared and I hope that you find satisfaction in my response. Thank-you for your business and we hope that you return again to Hidden Valley Resort.

Been to Hidden Valley Resort? Share your experiences!