“Expectations surpassed !” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Belleville, Canada
“Expectations surpassed !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Booked a room for our annual colour tour, and got a deal that included breakfast and a bottle of wine. From the start, our checkin was a pleasant experience, thanks to "John" and his sense of humour. Our room was clean and fresh smelling, with a queen bed and pull out couch....perfect for watching tv.
A nice bonus, was the bottle of wine, which John informed us could be taken to the dining room and enjoyed with dinner...no corking fee either.
Dinner was outstanding; could not have been better. Neither my wife or I have ever had such huge portions of prime rib. Everything was great...compliments to the chef. Our servers, "Candace" and "Chris", were attentive and good natured, without being obtrusive
We should have known by the tour buses in the parking lot, that the resort must have a reputatiion for value, and consistency. We played a round of golf at a nearby course (there are five courses within a few minutes of the resort), enjoyed walking around the area absorbing the beautiful fall scenery and taking pictures.
Breakfast is a buffet, with well cooked and fresh food. Surprised my clothes still fit me for the trip home ! Server/host at breakfast, "Mark", also attentive and good humoured. Sitting in the dining room looking out over the lake, was reminscent of being at a cottage, with the outside deck, wicker chairs, and trees.
Looks like we found "our" place to stay when we are in the Huntsville area.

Room Tip: Because of the age of the hotel, there are some small issues with noisy plumbing, but that's nor...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
I am so happy to read another great review from another satisfied customer. Thank-you Wayne! Your annual color trip is a wonderful way to see how beautiful our part of the country can be, especially with the glorious colors all around us. Our gang was happy to serve you and please continue to spread the good word. We would love to accommodate you and your friends the next time wonderful scenery, great food, excellent rooms and friendly service are on your agenda.
I would like to thank-you for your positive review Wayne and especially thank-you for your business.
From all of us at Hidden Valley Resort,
Scott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Stoney Creek, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our family of 14 stayed at this resort 2 years in a row, and can't wait to return in 2013. We now will be bringing along 15 more family members to enjoy this beautiful resort. We were very happy that you have a few rooms downstairs, so our dog could join in the fun.Our rooms were clean, service at the restaurant and bar was very friendly.The staff at the front desk was excellent. The views of the lake were amazing. Our family would like to thank Kim, John (staff at the front desk) for making our stay won of the best family trips we have ever had, thank-you again.We look forward to seeing you next year .
Rated number 1 in our family Thomson,Karman, and Weatherbie family

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Fantastic! We are proud of our resort and we are always looking to share our pride with guests who take us on as their home for family fun. As the general manager it is pleasing to read that our team was so helpful in making your stay as enjoyable as it was. It was very good of you to mention them by name in your review. I am fortunate to be in the position to have a great group of people to work with. They truly enjoy what they do and it is their pleasure to serve you. I know that they look forward to sharing their day with great guests like you and your family. Our business sees a variety of travellers from all over the world and from all walks of life. We can't help but beam when we have the opportunity to meet great folks like you! Again, thank-you for your business and for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed here for a few weekends over the course of 2 months during the summer. My husband was training for the Ironman Muskoka so we needed a place right in Huntsville with access to a lake and bike course. This hotel is overlooking a beautiful lake where you can canoe, kayak and there are tons of hiking trails to enjoy. You are only minutes away from city center of Huntsville and about 30 minutes away from Algonquin Park. The hotel staff is friendly and very helpful. They provided us with rooms on the main floor so we didn’t have to carry my husband’s bike up the stairs. The rooms were spacious with lots of light if you are facing the lake. The beds are super comfortable and there are tons of pillows. This is a family oriented resort with tons of activities to keep the kids busy so I would not recommend it for a romantic weekend away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for the feedback on Trip Advisor. I hope you had success with the Iron Man event? Our guests enjoy the many activities that we offer at the resort and of course our location between the lake and the hills is a bonus when it comes to the type of training that you were looking for. Our weekends are super busy most of the year and I understand your comments regarding romantic get-aways with out children. However, mid week stays here at Hidden Valley Resort with the gorgeous scenery, excellent wine selections and fantastic menu options can make for a very romantic get-away. We try to offer a little something for everyone. I do think that you are accurate when you identify our strengths as a family resort. Thanks for your business and again thank-you for sharing your thoughts.
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 1 night on September 6th. The hotel was quiet as the long weekend was over and the kids were back to school. We upgraded to a "lake view" and the room had been reciently renovated. It was very nice and clean. We had drinks out on the patio before dinner (beautiful weather) and we had our dinner inside. The service was very good as was the food. We used the canoe and had a great 2 hour paddle out in the bay during the day.
Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so glad that the weather co-operated with you and that it helped make your visit with us at Hidden Valley Resort most enjoyable. The bay is beautiful for a canoe ride and with the fall colors approaching it is even more breath taking. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I want to thank-you for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. As we work hard to deliver a positive guest experience it is great to hear that our guests are enjoying what we have to offer.
We hope that you return again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed there on the long weekend . After booking the hotel almost 2 weeks in advance. We did not get what we paid for and what we booked. We reached there at by 11 am and were told room is not available as the hotel was sold out last night , Makes sense as it was a long weekend.I left my phone no. and left for Algonquin . At 1pm we get a call that our room is available now .

We reached the front desk at 4 , took our keys and went to the room ....Than what did we saw , they have given us a two queen bed room instead of one Kind bed room. I was shocked that no body even mentioned us , that sorry we do not have your room ready , that's all we have got for
now. I went back to Front desk and told the Lady that we are a couple ( Husband & Wife ) we don't need two bed , we booked for one Bed. She was like thats all i have , take it or leave it .....I was like you are so rude...She said we have a wedding here tonight , so nothings is availble , I said that we booked 7 days in advance ---Her reply was so what you should be happy that you got a room on long weekend . She says join your beds ..I was like is this our job or yours. Terrible customer service Her name was " JOY" i asked for the manager" Scott hammond " she was like he is not here. By that time i was totally exhausted.

Went back to room , chkd that even the bath tub is chocked ...It was a total waste.

Terrible Customer Service- Mgt please hire some professional staff not some random people living in your neighbourhood as the Front desk people. I have travelled around the world and have stayed in all kind of hotels but this was a terrible experience.

You guys ruined our weekend !!

Room Tip: Stay at Deerhurst !
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank-you for sharing your feelings on TripAdvisor. I am so sorry that our inability to give you a king bedded room ruined your whole stay. You obviously did not find humor in Joy's approach to the bed issue. I am sorry I was not in my office when you were at the desk addressing this issue. I searched your reservation request and I cannot see where you booked a king bed. We did however have a very nice room with two queen size beds for you and a 1 o'clock check in on a very busy week end is extremely good customer service in my opinion. There would have been several other guests who would have enjoyed that experience but waited until 4.
I don't understand what you are saying about your bathtub in your review of your stay. You rated us extremely low in value and in cleanliness and in service and to be quite frank I think that you are letting your bedding disappointment shape the complete review. I try to respond fairly and accurately to everyone who comments on this forum and I also look closely at the validity of guest complaints. Thank-you for staying with us and sharing your opinions.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and our two youngest aged 4 and 7 spent two nights at this lovely resort. The check in was fine, the room, two queens and a balcony view of the lake, was very nice, clean and comfortable. We ate two breakfasts and one dinner in the hotel dining room. Dinner was very good, seated outdoors on the patio, breakfasts were buffet style, nicely presented and good selection. Reasonable pricing and friendly service. The hotel property is set in a gorgeous location overlooking the lake and surrounded by hills. The facilities are fine, the outdoor pool was cold so we swam in the indoor pool. It needs some updating as it and the attached games room is rather dated. The beach is small but equipped with canoes and kayaks. The front desk service was helpful and friendly. After we checked out we realized we had forgotten our ipad charger. It took a few phone calls but it was eventually located and held at the front desk for us to be picked up. All in all I would recommend this resort to anyone wanting a nice getaway from the city. The cost is very reasonable. I would recommend requesting the lake view as the other view is the parking lot!

Room Tip: Book l;ake view rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank-you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. I feel your review is extremely fair and very accurate. We are planning renovations to our indoor pool in the near future to bring things up to date. We are looking at adding a hot tub and relocating the games room.
We try to keep our outdoor pool around 80 degrees F so i am not sure why you felt it to be cold.
come back and visit us again at Hidden Valley Resort. We would love to have you as our guests again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed three nights through the last week of August. Originally we were booked for only two, but we quickly decided a third night was necessary. John at the front desk made our request change for us last minute, which we were happy due to it being a Friday of the long weekend.
We brought our 17 bowrider boat to go out fishing. The launch is down the road by about a seven minute drive, and the hotel allowed us to tie up over night at their dock, which saved us a lot of time.
This is not common practice for the hotel, but being as we were the only people with a boat it was allowed.
The hotel is located right on the water and connects to two other lakes. We took the boat right into Huntsville for dinner one day. Fishing was great. My son caught a trophy bass.
Rooms were clean, and beds were comfy. Pools were warm, although we swam in the lake. They have kayaks, canoes, motor boats, paddle boats, volleyball, basketball, and tennis. Nobody was bored.
Restaurant food was really good, but service was really slow. Didn't matter much, as we were on holidays. Their homemade flakies are to die for, and Pickerel was amazing!
The only downside if there was one, is the hotel is up on a hill. This offers a beautiful view, but it's a hike down to the water. It didn't bother us much, but if you're someone with limited mobility, this hotel may not be a good choice. Also unless you are booked on the main floor, there are no elevators to help take luggage to your rooms, you would have to carry it up or down a flight of stairs.
Overall we enjoyed our stay here, and definately would come back.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us. TROPHY BASS! Congrats. I'll bet there is a young fisherman with plans to return. I hope that you all return again to visit us at Hidden Valley Resort. You have shared excellent information in your review and very accurate in my opinion. Guests with mobility issues travelling to the waterfront will be happy to know we are completing a pathway around the resort to allow easier access and avoiding stairs. The lack of an elevator can be difficult as well however we are always on hand to help with luggage. Fortunately with our lobby on the second floor guests only need to travel one flight of stairs if a room on our second floor is not available. You are right! You don't get Pickerel like that everywhere. We hope to see you next summer and thank-you again for your business and your feedback.

Been to Hidden Valley Resort? Share your experiences!