“YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1755 Valley Road, Huntsville, Ontario P1H 1Z8, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Canadian Sunbunny
“YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Just returned from resort. Found the resort to be quite runned down. Very sad to see because the area is just beautiful breathtaking views of the water.Most hotel staff were great . No real issues except I booked a waterview room and ended up with a hillview room. No real big deal on my part except the attitude of the gal checking us in. Her reply was well you have not been charged for a lakeview room we only have your credit card on file so no big deal.... Not what I wanted to hear . Basically, she just babbled that is was the long weekend and we are sold out and blah blah .... Really ?? I thought it was quite amusing . I have been in the travel business for over 18 years now and customer service has always been high on my list for my clients . Not this worker she needs to go back to school for some training. Towels for the pool were the size of a hand towel not much bigger they need to upgrade to a beach size towel. Restaurant was way under staffed waited 1.5 hours for a order of nachos and salad. Again not the workers fault . I felt bad for the man working customers where complaing about the long wait. Anyways it is very moderate priced resort so you get what you pay for .. so please go there with a open mind and you will be fine. I know I am spolied with all the traveling I do thru out the world but customer service does not cost $$$ so please managment make some changes at your front desk staff.. You catch more bees with honey

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank-you for the review on Trip Advisor. The information helps the buying public make infomed decisions when it comes to accommodation and dining. I am sorry we were slow in the dining room. We did get a very large number of guests over the week end all wanting to eat in our Birches dining room and lounge all at the same time. We don't require guests to make reservations but it does help, especially at very busy times like civic holiday week end. Our pool and beach towels are selected to offer the best of both worlds. Quick turn around in our laundry facility and adequate towel coverage for our guests. I am sorry if you found our towels unsatisfactory.
However, when it comes to giving good customer service I am with you! There is no reason that you should have felt like we did not care about your reservation and your room assignment. Perhaps the facts are accurate and your room was booked as a Hill side room and not a Lake side room but that is not an excuse to give poor customer service. I will use this opportunity as a training exercise. Thank-you again and I hope that you come back to Hidden Valley Resort and try us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Aberdeenshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

To start with, our travel agent had made a mistake and our booking for a lake view room was not available for the whole of our stay. The front desk staff were obliging and put us in to a lake view room for as much of our stay as possible.

There were some downsides to this as we experienced three different rooms during our stay. Though they were all of a good standard the first rear view room had lovely firm beds and privacy nets on the windows (The rooms overlooked the car park at roughly the same level and this meant we didn't have to keep closing curtains) The lake side view room had much softer beds whilst the final rear view room had firm beds again but no net curtains. Other differences were that the lake view room had a flat screen TV whilst the rear rooms had old CRT units.

The rooms themselves were spacious and well serviced though a variety of pillows would have been nice - for those of us with back problems who like a firm pillow rather than trying to sleep on a pile of wafers. We had just spent a week at the Sheraton Center in Toronto, and the standard of cleaning in Hidden Valley was superior. There was a fridge in each of the rooms we occupied that didn't cost extra (unlike the Sheraton) My only real problem with the room servicing was that there were four of us in the room and we kept on only getting three sets of towels.

The food was good standard and reasonably priced. There was a good range for breakfast and the waiting staff were always helpful and polite (a level of politeness and service that is missing from the large majority of the UK hotels I stay in) There was an outdoor eating area but if you wanted to use this you had to be prepared to occasionally fight a gull for possession of your food.

Facilities were satisfactory, there were two pools one indoor and one outdoor, a sauna, tennis, basketball & volleyball courts plus a small range of pedal boats, canoes and kayaks that could be taken out on the lake. The indoor pool is overdue for renovation. The pine cladding needs to be replaced/revamped as it is stained and leaves marks on the floor. Also the area around the pool could do with some TLC to get tiles even and presentable. As others have said the car park is on the small side even when there is not a function on.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank-you for your detailed review. We are proceeding with more renovations and hope to have all of our rooms completed by next year at this time. You will see that indoor pool renovation as well when you return next year. We continue to work on our customer service and I make a point of sharing these reviews as part of our on going training. Thanks for helping us be better at what we do!
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here for three nights and loved it!! Hidden Valley is in a wonderful setting and was everything we'd hoped for and more!!
The room was large and clean, if I had to find negatives, it would be that there was no stand for our suitcase and the shower could have been more powerful.
We didn't use room service and used the restaurant only once, for the breakfast buffet. The buffet was very reasonably priced and had a good selection of breakfast fare.
We tried all the facilities, that were included in the very reasonable room rate, and they were all excellent!
Other reviewers had mentioned shortages of towels, we had no such problems! Just make sure you don't lose the towels, or the pink slips, as you will be charged $25!!
All in all, we'd recommend Hidden Valley to anyone!! In fact we've cancelled another trip, we were going to take at the end of the month, and we'll be going back to Hidden Valley again instead!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We can hardly wait for your return. I hope that you continue to return to share your time with us at Hidden Valley Resort.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed at the beginning of July 2012 as part of a sports team. I had previously stayed here a number of years ago in the winter while skiing.
My overall impression is that there have been some improvements in the lobby area. Other people's rooms have been upgraded/modernized. Mine was for the most part older and dated, but very clean. It seems as though they have not got to the bottom floor to renovate.
In the summer the amenities by the beach kept teen aged boys occupied with the volleyball and beach raft. Luckily for the wedding that was to be held down by the beach, the boys had to leave to play a game!
The parking lot is too small to accommodate everyone's vehicle when the hotel is busy. It is a long walk to the lower parking lot.
Overall the location, staff and rooms are ok value, if you get a reasonable price. Just don't expect 5 stars, especially on the lower floor.

Room Tip: Specifically ask for a modernized room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank-you for your feedback and sharing on TripAdvisor. It is my feeling that your feedback is quite accurate. We are continuing with our plans to renovate the rest of our guest rooms and hope to have that completed by next summer. Parking is something we continue to struggle with as space is limited and our resort gets busier and busier with our improved level of service and cleanliness. I agree we are not a 5 star resort. However as you experienced a resort like ours does not need to be at a 5 star level to provide excellent services and amenities, a fantastic location and a wonderful staff! I hope that you will retrurn and sat again at Hidden Valley Resort
Vaughan, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The location was great. Nice view from my room facing the lake. The room was nice, however the bathroom door would not stay shut. It would not close all the way, and after a few seconds would open on its own. The bed was comfortable but being able to choose between a soft pillow and a firm pillow would be nice since people have different sleeping needs and preferences. As some other reviewers have said, the walls are paper thin and all of the room doors are loud when they close, so you can hear a lot of that and anything else in the morning. Overall, the room and bathroom were very clean, the bed was comfortable, there was a nice flat screen tv,a refrigerator, and in room controlled air conditioner.

On our second day there, there was a knock on our door at around 11. House keeping wanted to clean our room, but the girl, who was very polite said she would come back later when we weren't in the room. After about 20min my boyfriend wasn't feeling well so I realized that we wouldn't be leaving our room anytime soon. I popped my head out of the door to let one of the ladies know that they didn't have to wait around for us because we wouldnt be needing their services, but I didn't see anyone so I called the front desk instead. They said it was fine, and 15 minutes later there was a knock on our door and it was housekeeping. I politely told the girl that we were fine and didn't need their services. It was nice that they wanted to help, however having to deal with that situation got a little bit frustrating.

There are two pools, indoor and outdoor. My boyfriend and I only went in the indoor pool. It was a nice big pool, and in the evening, we were the only people in there, which was nice.

We used the pedal boat on our second day and it was really nice once we got out into the middle of the lake. Unfortunately, getting it out was a challenge since it was our first time using one. We signed our waiver form, were given our life jackets with no other instructions, and went on our way to figure things out on our own. The experience once we got the hang of things, was very nice. And its nice that as a guest you can use things like a pedal boat and canoe for free. Only thing is, I was told by the front desk that they dont usually let you use these things after 630pm. Which is a let down because that's a beautiful time to be out on the lake.

Overall, the experience was nice. I guess for the price you pay, you can't expect a perfect hotel. The situations that I experienced were not enough to make me dislike the hotel. I just wanted to give an honest review. I would most likely visit again.

• Stayed July 2012
I am glad you shared your honest opinion of our resort. We will continue to work on improving our product and services going forward. I hope you return again and comment on our improvements!
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family and I really enjoyed our stay at Hidden Valley. We were happy that we could check in early and we found all of the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant was excellent and very reasonably priced.
Overall we thought it was a great hotel for a family, especially with all of the activities available onsite like the beach, games room, kayaks, pools and tennis courts.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I think what you have shared is true! We have a wonderful facility and families especially suit all we have to offer and have been joining us for family vacations for years
Thanks for sharing and please come back and stay with us again!
Windsor, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have been visiting Huntsville for over 30 years, and stayed at Hidden Valley many, many times. The new owners have done a wonderful job improving the resort. On our most recent visit, we arrived early, and were put into an upgraded room that was ready for us. Within 20 miutes of arrival, we were checked in, changed, and out in one of the resort's kayaks on Penninsula Lake !
The staff were all extremely friendly, and our stay was flawless ... can't wait to get back up there !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SHamm0nd, General Manager at Hidden Valley Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank-you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We have been working very hard to give all of our guests the expereince that they are looking for. I am so please you enjoyed your stay with us and our beach and waterfront continue to be a popular attraction! We await your return and we look forward to serving you again!

Been to Hidden Valley Resort? Share your experiences!