“A beautiful resort but not for families with very small children” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Briars

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jackson's Point
The Briars
You added The Briars to your Saves list
55 Hedge Road, RR 1, Jackson's Point, Georgina, Ontario L0E 1L0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jackson's Point
Toronto, Canada
“A beautiful resort but not for families with very small children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I would not recommend this resort for families with small children ages (babies, toddlers). During our stay it was put to our understanding that we should have our meals in a room that was dark and isolated, so that our baby would not disturb the rest of the resort guests while they are having their own meal.The other dining rooms where bright and beautiful, so we felt isolated and mistreated.
When I was making the reservation to stay for two night I specifically asked if the resort accepts families with children, and the answer was "Yes".

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Fifty minutes drive from Toronto, this charming resort has been a perfect weekend get away. We have bought a package including three meals and we couldn't be more satisfied. The grounds are well maintained and the room was spotless. The resort offers a range of activities that keep the guests engaged and entertained. We went to a yoga class with an excellent instructor, to a fun Zumba class and on a two hours cruise on Lake Simcoe. We did not have time to attend all activities that were offered. Participation on activities is included in the cost of the package. Meals were delicious and we had hard time in choosing from a large variety of dishes.. Lunch was served outside with a buffet style. The service was impeccable. The owners are present and friendly and this gives you the feeling of visiting with family. These was money well spent and well deserved for what was offered. I recommend this resort and we will come back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Ajax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My sister's-in-law & I decided to spend our July birthdays together at The Briar's for 2 nights/3 days. We purchased the Soul Sisters package which consisted of mini manicures, all our meals, accommodation, wine & treats, plus all the activities The Briar's had to offer. We decided to book this package as it was within our budget and only 1 hour north of Ajax.

We arrived in the early afternoon and since our room wasn't ready yet, we decided to check out the grounds and have some lunch. One thing we noticed was that there were a mix of guests on the property - families with children, young couples, older couples and singles. Another thing we noticed was that even though this is an older resort, it isn't rundown and is kept in pretty good shape. There are 2 pools - 1 indoor and 1 outdoor, a sauna, hot tub (both indoors and by the pool) and the lake is across the street. The grounds were gorgeous, there were activities and games to play indoors and out and they even had their own herb and vegetable garden. At the lake you could laze by the water and work on your tan or sit in the gazebo and watch the boats go by. You could also enjoy plethora of activities available such as SUP, pedal boats, kayaks, canoes or cruise Lake Simcoe on the Lady Simcoe.

We decided to have lunch at Drinkwaters' Lounge. Our waiter took our food order, but didn't ask us if we wanted anything to drink. He assumed we only wanted water and that's what we got. My SILs had the seafood chowder and appertiser Caesar salad. I had the soup of the day which was Turkey noodle. All of our soups came with a Cheddar cheese scone. My soup tasted like it was homemade and my SIL's enjoyed their soups and salads.

I decided to have my manicure as well as a pedicure on the day I arrived since I was having more treatments the next day. The spa is located in the Tower which is adjacent to the main building where we were staying. My esthetician, Katherine, was a little rougher than I'm used to and keep telling me to relax my fingers - something I'm not really good at, and telling me to relax doesn't help. I found my pedicure procedure to be very different than what I'm used to. Instead of soaking my feet in a tub, they wrapped them in hot towels instead. It wasn't unpleasant, just different.

While I was getting my manicure and pedicure, our room became ready earlier than expected, so my SIL's were able to bring our suitcases in. There, waiting for us, was a bottle of Pelee Island chardonnay and a HUGE plate of fruit, chocolate, macaroons and Perrier. It was way more than we expected (honestly I though we were getting cheese and crackers) and it took us the entire weekend just to make a dent in it. We didn't even need the snacks we brought.

We had 2 double beds in our room, which was on the 2nd floor of the Leacock Wing in the main building, nice and close to the spa. Our room also had a decent sized bathroom, a vanity and sink just outside the bathroom, Keurig & tea/coffee maker, TV, table, 2 chairs & spa robes. Our room had a balcony which overlooked the rear of the property and had views of the lake and a couple of chairs to relax in.

Our dinner reservations for both evenings was at 7pm. There were several areas to dine in the main restaurant so you never felt crowded. Our package consisted of an appetiser, main course & dessert, alcohol was extra. Our meals were fantastic & filling. The goat cheese & heirloom tomato salad was amazing. I had the chicken breast which was cooked & seasoned to perfection. One of my SILs had steak, the other had beef tenderloin. They both enjoyed their meals immensely. Portion sizes are generous, so leave room for dessert. We had the chocolate brownie & strawberry ices - both were delicious and the perfect proportion. We didn't expect our meals to be filling and/or flavourful considering we were on a package, but The Briar's continued to surprise us!

Breakfast in the mornings was buffet style. Breakfast included juice, tea, coffee, cereal, fruit, pastries, eggs, french toast, pancakes, bacon, sausage, and toast. All of our meals during our stay at The Briar's were filling - if you leave hungry, it's your own fault!

On Saturday we decided to take a tour of the house, the history room, library and drawing room, which is full of history of the property and both the Bourchier & Sibbald families going all the way back to France/England & Scotland. After our tour and before my spa appointment, I went to the top of the Tower. Although the windows could use a really good cleaning on the outside, the Tower offered magnificent views of the lake and the grounds (tennis courts, herb garden, Peacock House, beach volleyball court and walking trails).

After breakfast, my SIL's had their manicures and pedicures while I indulged in a 90 minute hot stone massage, which included reflexology and a 45 minute Lake Simcoe facial. The hot stone massage is a must! I was so relaxed afterwards that I didn't want to leave the massage table. It was that good! My facial was also very good. While the first mask was on my face, I received a hand & arm massage. My only complaint about my facial was the lack of massage during my second mask. This would've been a perfect opportunity to get a foot & leg massage. Something to keep in mind for next time. My treatments ended with me lounging in the waiting room, sipping on Green tea and nibbling on freshly baked, homemade cookies. While I was settling up my bill, the manager had accidentally charged my SIL's and me the tax on our treatments, which was included in our package. She noticed the error, corrected it and reimbursed us the change. Even though it was just a few dollars, this little act of honesty is what will make me a return client to The Briar's resort and spa.

After lunch on Saturday we warmed up in the hot tub, then cooled down in the indoor pool. Then we participated in a beginners yoga class. Since the weather was so nice, our class was held in the outdoor gazebo by the basketball courts. The friendly, neighbourhood fox decided to grace us with his presence at a safe distance during our class.

On Sunday, our last day, my SILs enjoyed some of the activities while I went on a leisurely bike ride to the marina and to Sibbald Provincial park. After checking out of our room and enjoying our last lunch on the outdoor patio, we decided to conclude our visit with a cruise on Lake Simcoe on the Lady Simcoe.

There is so much to do on & off the property. You can relax by the lake and watch the boaters go by or take a leisurely trip on the lake. There are yoga classes, either indoors or outdoors, weather permitting, ranging from basic to intermediate. There are zumba classes for the whole family or in one of the pools. There are too many activities to mention, but they all are listed on their website. There are winter activities as well. When you check in to the resort, you are given an itinerary of what activities are available, the day & time, if you need to sign up at the front desk and if there is an additional fee for that activity.

My only complaints about the resort was that the windows needed a good cleaning or replaced altogether, and the carpets could use a good steam cleaning. Other than that, no complaints. I would highly recommend The Briar's and look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: When booking, ask for a room on the 2nd floor of the Leacock wing, overlooking Lake Simcoe
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ontario, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed here with a crew of people I work with. It was a bonding experience. To say the least. We enjoyed having the common areas to spend our time, but there is very little local spots to go to later in the evening. Plan to get food before everything closes.

• Stayed August 2014
Waterford, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We really enjoyed our week-end stay. We had a mini cousins reunion, 3 couples - one from Detroit, one from Montreal and one from Ottawa, so geographically the Briars was sort of in the middle. The staff was very pleasant and friendly. This is an older historic resort but mostly well kept. Don't expect spacious modern rooms, they are a little small and dated, but well kept and quaint (reminds me of some of the Bed and Breakfast places I have experienced). Charming is the description for the entire experience. There are lots of outdoor activities, including a one hour narrated motor boat trip on the lake, an outdoor pool, kayaking and paddle boats, golf, tennis, biking, walking, and, instructed exercise classes (zumba was one). There are also indoor activities such as billiards, ping pong and an indoor pool. We played cards for a while in the bar. We all agreed that the food was excellent, and the meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) were included in the price. Speaking of price, I have a few complaints; the price was a little high for the week-end, around $800 U.S. Plus you pay for drinks, even soda's. And, they charge a service fee of 15% which you'd think includes a tip for the waitresses, but it doesn't and we didn't know that until the last meal - meaning the poor wait staff didn't get any tips from us except for lunch on Sunday. That issue needs to be addressed my management. But overall the place is very charming and well worth the experience. Take a walk through the old historic part of the manor and the adjacent tower - very interesting. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
peterborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Old but but enjoyed the week there. One week was to long though. I think two to three days would be enough. The food was excellent the room are nice. Staff is excellent. Not enough to do for a week and too expensive. If you want to relax and chill it's great.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

A beautiful quaint retreat just north of the city. Staff were so helpful and a nice note and bottle of wine was left in our room upon our arrival. If you're a history buff, you'll enjoy exploring the library and other rooms. The facilities are fading somewhat, and need some updating. But charming, nonetheless. We enjoyed using the bikes for a nice ride and had a quiet, leisurely day. The spa was wonderful, but the food was just average...the menu could use some freshening up.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you for passing on your kind comments about the
staff, we're glad you had a chance to explore the history
of our Resort in Manor House. I'm sorry the food did not
meet your expectations, we get mostly rave reviews, and
I would be happy to get more feed back from you at your
convenience>

Bob Law
Resort Manager

Been to The Briars? Share your experiences!