“Very bad experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Kitchener Conestoga

You added Howard Johnson Kitchener Conestoga to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Kitchener Conestoga
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1333 Weber Street East, Kitchener, Ontario N2A 1C2, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Kitchener
Ontario
“Very bad experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My stay at this hotel was very bad. Guests and staff smoke right at the main entrance, the rooms are very dirty, there is no elevator to get to the second floor. The TV did not work and I had to change rooms in the middle of the night. They have a pool which is small and they allow guests to eat dinner and have parties in the pool area (right beside it) with children present. Guests are allowed to use glasses which could easliy break and guests were allowed to consume alcohol in the pool area with children present. A pool is not a bar, you do not eat dinner there, bring glass there or consume alcohol there. An accident waiting to happen.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hojo11798, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
hollandlop,

Thank you for taking the time and expressing your concerns in regards to your recent stay with us at the Howard Johnson Kitchener. I am very sorry that you had found your stay at the hotel to be an unpleasant one.
Please know that we cannot control others from smoking near the front entrance of the hotel, I can guarantee you that it surely was not the staff at the Howard Johnson as they are told if (rarely have employees that are smokers) to smoke in the designated smoking area. However I will take the initiative and speak with the Leased out restaurants on site and ask them to smoke elsewhere.
Please know we are not the only hotel in the Kitchener area that has 1 side with elevator and 1 side that has stair access only (Holiday Inn and Best Western are right down the road from us as well and they both have a stair access section as well.) . When booking a room with one bed they tend to be on the 2nd floor which contains of no more then 12 stairs (6 and a landing and then 6 then the 2nd floor). I do apologize that you had TV difficulties and that the Front desk agents were prompt in moving you at 8:40pm (noted and shown on our hotel system).
I am sorry that you have found our pool area small the pool area it's self is 5000 square feet and the Heated salt water pool is 40x20. You are one of the first to comment about how small our pool is, in fact we are one of the hotels that have a larger pool. We do have signs that state no food or beverages in the pool area and do try our best to ask guests to take it back to their room.
In regards to the banquet room adjacent to the pool room, yes we do rent them out for wedding, occasions, buck and does, birthday parties. They are entitled to be in the hall until 2am, as they rent the hall for the full day for their function.
Overall I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel, if you do come back to the city if you would like to try our hotel again when booking please ask for a tower section room ( Elevator side) Please do note that the tower section does book up quick. On that side there are King Rooms and 2 Queens, they are a bit more money then your standard queen however you may prefer them better.

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Mount Forest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The place is awesome.We always stay in room 109,pool side.All you do is open your door and the HEATED pool is right there.It has chairs and tables,lounge chairs and a whirl slide for the pool.Our 6 year old child just loves it.The price is excellent,the bar,lounge is very inviting.All in all,I recomend staying at the Howard Johnson,Kithener.To all the staff,(Hojo Team) Thank you. Have wonderful New Year. Ron, Rhonda and Ravyn.

Room Tip: Pool Room,walk out to pool and hot tub!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hojo11798, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Ron and Family,

I hope you all had a great Christmas, it is always a pleasure to have you stay with us at the Howard Johnson Kitchener. Thank you for such a great review of our hotel, Poolside rooms are always a hit when there are little ones around. It is indeed very convenient for both parents and children to BOTH relax around the pool.

I do hope to see you guys again soon, please do not hesitate to e-mail us at anytime in regards to future reservations at hojoguest@yahoo.com.

Once again thank you for the great review, I am glad that you all enjoy every visit when you come.

Best Regards,
CAMBRIDGE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We like the HoJo on Weber because of many reasons, The staff are very nice especially the cleaning lady (blond Hair lady) We really enjoy the Hot Tub and pool area as there is not ussually a crowd and the Hot Tub is normally in good condition and working well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Hojo11798, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
612RON

Wow!! You blew me away with the title that you had chose. But I am very glad to see that both you and your wife had enjoyed yourselves while here at the hotel. I hope to see you both again in the near future. Thank you for taking the time and expressing your great recent stay at the Howard Johnson Kitchener.

Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have unfortunatley stayed in this hotel before and was stuck in Kitchener again and all other hotels were sold out... I checked in and had to change rooms 3 times before I finally just gave up and left, and slept in my car in the parking lot.

The rooms are DISGUSTING! Stained sheets, stained carpet, hair in the sick in the bathroom, dust on the furniture... and they all smell of smoke!

Here is what I dont understand and I put it to management to respond here as they wouldn't when I was at the hotel. The rooms themselves are NOT that bad, WHY NOT JUST CLEAN THEM!?! Are you not embarassed by how many disgusting reviews of your hotel there are on tripadvisor? Do you even care? If you would just take the time to clean the rooms properly you may have some happy clients! The front desk is rude, housekeeping is rude, management is rude. The hotel is disgusting.

You dont need to spend money to improve this place, just train your staff and CLEAN the place, take some pride in your hotel, treat your customers properly, and maybe you will have some happy customers!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hojo11798, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
WorkinTraveller,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review in regards to your recent stay at the Howard Johnson Kitchener. I am terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay while at the hotel. Please know upon reading your review I would like to get more information in regards to the dates that you had stayed so I can speak to both the housekeeping manager and the housekeeper/s that had cleaned the 3 rooms you had seen. I can understand that you would be upset. Here at the Howard Johnson Kitchener we strive for "comfort away from home" we try our best for everyone to be as comfortable as possible, unfortunately at the time you had chosen to try our hotel one more time you were unsatisfied. If you could please kindly e-mail me at hojoguest@yahoo.com in regards to further details I would like to look into this further and see if we can come to a resolution.

Best Regards

Been to Howard Johnson Kitchener Conestoga? Share your experiences!