“Perfect Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Walper Hotel

You added The Walper Hotel to your Saves list
The Walper Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Queen Street South, Kitchener, Ontario N2G 1V6, Canada (Formerly Walper Terrace Hotel)   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Kitchener
Hamilton, Canada
“Perfect Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My buddy and I stayed at the Walper and we enjoyed it to the fullest. The desk staff Louis and Fortuna were amazing; with his epic sense of humor and hers perfect smile and strong eye contact, their service was amazing. As a walk in guests, they hooked us up with awesome renovated and comfortable room, which included our parking and breakfast. No doubt we will come back again!!!

Room Tip: Highly Recommended Hotel--Ask for Room 414
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My partner and I stayed here and we would like to thank The Walper for a marvellous stay!

The interior of this hotel is simply stunning. The chandeliers, the high ceilings and the historic past made the hotel more enchanting.
The staff were great – very friendly, welcoming and attentive - nothing was too much to ask.
The room we stayed in was beautiful, clean and the bed was comfortable.

We definitely recommend The Walper Hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NB, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here recently for a conference. The Walper is a lovely historic hotel with breathtaking reception rooms and a storied past. The hotel staff are exceptional; the food is very good--both at breakfast and at Rum Runners Pub. The beds are very comfortable and rooms nicely appointed with good coffee, free wifi, and other amenities. Our conference banquet was delicious and the hotel even gave each table a complimentary bottle of wine--that's because of the problems many guests had with the hot water in the rooms, or rather the lack of it. A tepid shower is not popular on a February morning.Still, it says a lot for the hotel that it worked to resolve the water issue and to compensate with wine. Nice touch. I would go back, all things considered.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large.
Markham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Walper Terrace in Feb 16, 2013. We were there for a wedding and thought it would be nice to stay there, as it had an excellent reputation going back many years. As it turned out, many of the other poor ratings were quite accurate.

I had made a reservation for a queen room, but we were given 2 double beds. We were in a hurry to get to the wedding, so we chose not to do anything about it. The furniture in room looked tired and something had been sprayed on the wall above the bed and on one of the doors. There was no towel rod in the bathroom and the marble shelf had a large crack in it. There was no shower cap. Otherwuse, the room was clean and comfortable.

The heating unit was very loud. It roared and had a very loud and annoying buzz that kept us awake all night. Come morning, we turned on the water for our showers. Lo and behold, there was minimal hot water. Even after 15 minutes, it was tepid at best.

Upon checkout, we expressed our disappointment to the staff at the front desk. Their first response was that nobody elso has complained, and usually they get a rash of calls when this happens. After I convinced them that there was no hot water, they apologized, but did not offer to reimburse us. They asked for my email address so the owner could get back to me. The owner never got back to me, so I emailed him with my complaints. As we speak, no response.

For the price, you can get much better accommodation in Kitchener-Waterloo, with management that cares enough to respond to your concerns.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 403.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Michaelteichman, Owner at The Walper Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Please note, the issues relating to water during your stay have been completely corrected. We had two weeks with water temperature fluctuations. To rectify this problem, we completely upgraded our water system and the problem has now been resolved. We apologise sincerely about any inconvenience this may have caused and assure future guests this has now been corrected.
Michael
Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Walper is not a suitable place to stay for guests. I did not get hot water; I moved to multiple rooms, the staff members are unbelievably disorganized. The rooms are not properly clean. Great location, but in much need of improvements

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed at the Walper last night while in Waterloo for a conference. The hotel itself (facade, structure, interior common areas) is just beautiful. Tall ceilings, crown moulding and beautiful chandeliers. My room was huge, with everything you'd need (big flat screen TV, cozy bed, nice linen etc.) Dinner and breakfast at the hotel was also really good. Overall, I was very happy with my stay and would definitely recommend this place. The staff were also very helpful and friendly!

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Tripadvisor’s terms and conditions states comments made about organizations must be true. Well here is the truth about my stay at the Walper: I stayed at the Walper about three weekends ago. I was upgraded to one of their king suites because I had a bad stay before. Even I really appreciated the upgrade, but my stay was still not comfortable as I hoped for. The whole process from checking in to check out was not pleasant at all. It took almost 20 minutes at the desk for the agent to find my reservation, and when he finally did, he was not sure why I was getting a suite for the price I was paying. So I have to wait for him to read the notes in my file. Then another 10 more minutes for him to figure out how to work the debit machine, and his excuse was “ we just got the new machine and I did not get a full training on it yet”. I was not sure if this was suppose to cheer me up. The horror started when I walked into the room. It was colder than outside. The heater sounds like a broken car’s engine, and there were little plugged heaters, which indicates the staff were aware of the heat issues. There was no doubt the room was not cleaned; finger prints on the lamps, mirrors, and it looked like someone sprayed dust thinking it was air-freshener. A hair salon is definitely cleaner than the washroom; hair was all over. To top it all, there was no hot water. I called the desk to ask if I can get a different room. The agent did not even bother to ask me if there was any problem with the room. He just started looking a different room for me. I told the agent it doesn’t matter if I am getting a suite or a king bed; I just want a warm and clean room. I was asked to come to the desk to grab a different key. I was given a double bed room; at least the heater was working fine. The room was a lot cleaner than the first one, but still could use some dusting. At this point I knew that I made a mistake coming back to the Walper. I called the desk again and asked if they can send housekeeping to my room, unfortunately housekeeping already left for the day. I asked again if anyone can come to my room and maybe dust the desk, lamp, and clean the hair from the washroom. The desk staff informed me that he will try to find out if there are any housekeeping staff around, if not he can give me more towels. (???) I did not ask for a manager, because from my previous stay I know there will be none over the weekends. I also know it will take them weeks to get back at me only to offer me a complimentary upgrade to one of their coldest and dirtiest room they have. At this point whatever I said or asked for I knew I am not going to like the answer. All I can do was shorten my stay and get the hell out and wish the Walper a good luck. The next morning I went to the desk and spoke with two lovely ladies. They greet me with a smile and asked what they can do for me. I asked if it will be ok if I can check out one day early without any fee. They realized I was not happy with me stay and asked if there is anything they can do that will change my mind. I said thank you, but there is nothing I want from the Walper. They refunded me my parking and gave me a complimentary breakfast. First impression is a key for customer service based organizations like the Walper, but the Walper is far behind from this. Unless a guest/customer is asking for something inappropriate a staff member should never said “NO” to guests. I don’t think me asking to get a clean room was inappropriate. After all I am paying for it. I understand that it was not the gent’s job to clean rooms, but the least he could’ve done was offer or apologize.

I will never stay at the Walper again and I highly urge travellers not to either.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
I had sent you a private message about the other issues you mentioned, but I have not heard a response. Please get in touch so that I might find out more details.
Michael

Been to The Walper Hotel? Share your experiences!