“No hot water!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Walper Hotel

You added The Walper Hotel to your Saves list
The Walper Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Queen Street South, Kitchener, Ontario N2G 1V6, Canada (Formerly Walper Terrace Hotel)   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Kitchener
Ottawa, Canada
“No hot water!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

For the second day, we dont have hot water =(
basic things are forgotten by the staff (breakfast vouchers, parking pass validations...)
anddd the internet connection doesnt even get you to a stream-able speed
...ugh...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Michaelteichman, Owner at The Walper Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
My sincere apologies that you expereinced water issues during your stay. Beginning the weekend you were with us, we had a water infrastrucre problem that took approximetely 2 weeks to fully resolve while me made upgrades to our system to ensure such an occurance would not happen again. During that time, we had reduced hot water capacity and some rooms where affected depending on the time of day and occupancy of the hotel. Anyone who had these issues has been sent a letter and compensation. If you could private message me your reservation details, I can verify if you are on the list of people we sent to.
Once again, I am very sorry teh water was not hot enough the mornings you attempted to shower. The issue has been fully resolved and upgrades made to the system to ensure it does not happen again.
Thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at the Walper for one night because we were in town for a wedding. The room was not worth the $120 price tag. The hotel in general is quaint and has loads of character. Our room had high ceilings and a comfy bed. The two major downfalls to the room were that the heat only worked when the fan on the unit was on high, and blew so much heat that the room was sweltering hot in just minutes. The temperature dial seemed not to work. When the unit was turned off, cold air (and I mean freezing air from the winter weather outside) came into the room. So trying to regulate this throughout the night while trying to sleep was a challenge. The second major issue was that the bathroom floor was very sticky and gross. When I walked in with socks on, they stuck to the floor. I placed towels on the floor just so I could walk into the bathroom and I couldn't pry them up afterwards. The front desk staff were very polite and helpful at check-in. The serving staff in the restaurant were clueless.

I gave it a 3 but if I could, I would have given it a 2.5.

Room Tip: If you want a good night's sleep, make sure your room doesn't back onto the Eleanor Roosevel...
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Having lived in kitchener all my life (before moving away 15 years ago), I've driven by the Walper thousands of times... always wondering what it's like (having seen it in it poor condition in the 70's)... So we jumped at the chance for a cheap night at the Walper..

Check in great, easy, no card access for the doors, old fashioned keys! perfect! What a wonderful building, all the character, woodwork, ceilings, they really really kept the charm, but updated it, kept it clean and tasteful, loved it! Room wasn't large, but bigger than your motel6, but still for 2 people, and 1 queen bed, it was perfect, more then enough room. Decent bed, ok, it was a bit hard.. but ok, had a good sleep, the tasimo machine in the room was cool. Yes there was some noise from traffic outside.. but it's at the oldest intersection in kitchener (king and queen) so expect to hear the fire truck as it goes through..

hotel wasn't that busy, but still, heard NO noise inside, great! the breakfast the next morning was great for a free breakfast, bacon, sausage, oatmeal, yogurt, usual bagels, muffins, pastries, but also quiche, good hashbrowns and eggs benedict (that was a huge huge treat!).

Staff were quiet, professional but nice.

Elegant nice place, if they have deals on in the summer, we will definately go back for a couples weekend. Little walks downtown Kitchener, nice little restaurants, definately our style!

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I attended a wedding there, and stayed in the hotel. Ive been to many wedding in my lifetime and this was bar far the absolute worst service I have ever experienced. The bartender who was busy on her iphone, simply closed the bar 1 hour early than was pad for because she though 2 customers had too much. So she tool it upon her self to say thats it the bar is closed. The bride was crying on her wedding night. WHile all this was happening no manager, of any sort. Seems this lovely waitress / bartender just decided to ruin everyones night. Let me make this clear. I have seen some weddings where there are alot of really drunk people. This was NOT the case. They didnt serve shots to start with one single ounce drinks, beer and wine. Service didnt start until 8.30 and she closed the bar at midnight when it was paid till 1am. Not too mention everyone was staying in the hotel ! I could not believe my eyes. That all being said.... Please do not ruin your wedding night. There were only about 95 people at this wedding. Imagine if this was a big wedding. I cant imagine that. As for the hotel, well, JUST OLD ! Thats all I have to say.

Room Tip: Dont even think about staying there choose a room sonewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Michaelteichman, Owner at The Walper Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear RonniegG
In taking the decision to close the bar, we were only fulling our duty under Ontario Liquor Laws. We caught underage guests being given drinks, and had to cut off multiple guests. Unfortunately other guests continued to get drinks for these individuals. We made several attempts to control this situation without success, and as such, after multiple warning, we were forced to close the bar in order to ensure compliance with the Alcohol and Gaming commissions rules regarding the service of alcohol.
We also found the situation regrettable and wished very much we had been able to control the situation instead of shutting the bar. However under the terms of our license to serve alcohol, the Managers on Duty felt the bar had to be closed in order not to compromise our Liquor License and duties under Ontario Law.
Thank you for your feedback.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Walper is in a super old building. The character of the place is really cool, but after you get over the character it's just an old building. The rooms had an aged look (despite being recently renovated) and took forever to heat up, so we were pretty cold for a while. There is pretty much nothing to do in the area, either so go with someone you like spending time with.

The staff were really sweet. They accidentally gave us the wrong room (we were supposed to be in a suite but got put into a regular room) but corrected it right away. We also needed something printed off really desperately and they did it for us for no charge.

The attached cafe is really really great. I ate there for lunch the first day and breakfast the second day. The food at the Walper seems really over priced but at the cafe it was really reasonable and pretty delicious.

I think it was probably the best option in Kitchener, it just isn't a super great hotel. Its too old, the heating sucks (and dries you out), the bathroom was really super dated and you can hear EVERYTHING above you.

Room Tip: We opted for a suite room and after seeing the size of the regular room I'm really glad we did...
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I am a frequent and easily satified traveller who gives every hotel its chance. I visited the Walper with my wife because I thought it would be interesting, after last visiting 30 years ago, to see how this vintage hotel had endured. We opted for a King-Suite on the 5th floor.

The good? Clean. Friendly staff. Comfortable bed.
The rest? Read on.

Unfortunately, the Walper is a tired place whose glory days are fading into its long distant past (parts of the building date to 1893) . No amount of self-satisfied historical reminisence - and such hagiography abounds - can salvage a hotel that once knew greatness but in some respects is too-few steps from rundown.

Everything about the place screams out for an investment of capital. Piecemeal efforts at improvement are running just ahead of the race to ruin. The visible generations of uncoordinated upgrades (light fixtures(!), floor finishes, furniture, ceramic tile, paint, millwork) detract from what remains of its original charm. Food odours (not unpleasant) of unknown origin permeated the corridors and public areas.

Except for a bathtub, our tiny bathroom appeared not to have been refurbished since the 1960's. Anticipating dissatisfaction, there is a permanently affixed sign on the bathroom wall advising that renovations are coming.

The breakfast buffet, at $14.50 per person, is eaten in a 2nd floor "Lounge" which very likely was quite the happening place 60 years ago. Coffee and tee are generously supplied and excellent. The "hot" buffet was however served cold - which was no surprise given the absence of flames beneath all but one of the chafing dishes. Stick with the excellent omellete or scrambled eggs prepared to your request by an engaging cook.

We found little to redeem the Walper. As has happend elsewhere, conversion to trendy loft-condos may be the only path to the capital required to return this aging dowager to its former beauty.

Dear Ottawa Traveller
I was very sorry to see your review posted recently. To give you a little background, I am a 32 year Entrepreneur who has owned the hotel since 2009. At the time, parts of the building were in terrible condition, and I will be the first to admit, it was "too-few steps from rundown" Since that time, out of operational cash flow, and remortgaging any value we have added, we have been able to put nearly $3,000,000 in to the property. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th have been restored and renovated and now are home to our Landmark rooms and Suites which, like the entire third and forth floor, have been given new carpets, paint, wooden blinds, new furniture, new televisions, Keurig Coffee Machines, iPod docks, and bedding. These rooms all have original bathrooms.
Unfortunetely, the 5th floor was renovated in the 1980's, and the original bathrooms were replaced with dated 80's tiling. The sign you speak of indicates you were in one of these rooms. We are renovating these bathrooms and rooms as well, and complete a few rooms each month.
Having taken the decision to start on the 3rd and 4th floors first (They were completed in 2012), we are working on the 5th and expect completion later this year.
Thank you for your feedback and please know, as a 32 year Entrepreneur, I am working on completing these renovations as fast as possible to restore to the building to its original grandeur.
If you have any additional feedback, please don't hesitate to private message me.
Best,
Michael
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Thank You for a great experience from reservation to check in, and throughout my stay....
Wish I could have stayed longer. I Will definelty return.
Loved the orginal feel it had. Very clean and staff was very friendly and helpful at all points of my stay.
Thanks!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Walper Hotel? Share your experiences!