“The kids loved the pool!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Kitchener
Gatineau, Canada
“The kids loved the pool!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I stay at Holiday Inn everywhere I go. I know what to expect, and I'm never disappointed. I like the fact that there's an indoor and outdoor pool at this location. Our patio door opened up to the outside pool area, which my son loved. The pool was very clean. Obviously well maintained. We ordered room service one morning and the service was quick, breakfast was warm and delicious, the portion was generous.

Beds were comfortable, room was clean and spacious. It's priced right. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Aftern being given the run-around with lost reservation information at another hotel (Best Western London - Terrible) we called around and were able to grab the last room at this hotel for the night. "Julia" at the desk was great - knowing that we were in the midst of getting a 4 year old back into the car for a 40minute drive she cut through all the red-tape of reservations and gave us a confimation code of "Julia" when we arrived. When we got there she was great - knowing exactly who we were as we trudged through the door.

We got a tower room which was clean and very comfortable. I still can't undersand the point of having large TVs with no HD though - something not just done by this hotel.

The only down side was the elevator was closed for service in the morning which made for an interesting trek down several flights of emergency stairs.

All in all a very good stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

This hotel is not well maintained. The sliding glass doors barely opened. The staff had a bad attitude and I will never stay there again. Do your self a favor stay somewhere else!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

First of all, high praise for the rooms in the tower. They are big and comfrotable and have nice sized flat screen TV's. The restarant is good and relatively reasonable. My only complaint was the service. Long lines at the front desk, and not a lot of enthusiasm to assist you. Our hockey team was promised a party room for gathering and for some reason, they had no idea at the desk how to handle this. Eventually they just gave up rather than trying to accommodate. I got the sense that the front desk forgot that while we might be parents travelling with kids on the weekend, many of us travel for business during the week and expect that kind of service, regardless of when we stay at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2011
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

This was the third time I have stayed in Kitchener. Previously I have stayed at the Knight's Inn and the Walper Terrace. I have to say that even though this hotel is ranked below the other two on TripAdvisor, this hotel was the best by far! I still think that it is expensive for what you get, but after staying in the other two places (to which I will never return) I was happy to pay more.

This isn't a fancy hotel by any means, but the rooms were clean and comfortable, the staff helpful, and the the hotel is in a reasonable area of the city. We asked for a hospitality room at about 10:30 at night and the staff were quick to find a room and get it ready so we could have a get-together there rather than in our rooms.

I stayed with a hockey team, so we were (understandably) given the older section of the hotel, but the only complaint I can give was that the water temperature in the shower seemd to fluctuate depending on what everyone else was doing in the hotel. And since everyone was getting ready at the same time, the temp was up and down a lot.

Other than that, I would say we had an enjoyable stay. As I mentioned, if you have stayed in some of the other places in Kitchener you would see that this place is actually pretty good. I have concluded that you should not expect large city standards in this town by any means.

• Stayed November 2010
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

Usually you think that a chain has similar standards across the chain. As a very frequent Hoilday Inn guest, I assumed that as well. However, this HI is basically a motel that they added a conference centre and tower to. Now, honestly I didn't see the conference rooms or the hotel rooms in the tower. I was given a room on the main floor about 6 minutes walking away from the front desk; in the words of the insolent, incompetent Front Desk staff "the best way to get there is to get back in your car." If only I had gotten in my car and driven to another hotel (there are a few others on the same street)... I asked for any other type of room (especially considering my Gold status) and was told the hotel was completely full. I check later on that night and found lots of rooms available in the hotel - even better rooms at the same rate. Clearly, he was too busy trying to leave to check for me. (Also, the entire time he was checking me in he was holding his bag and a half-empty bottle of wine. Clearly he had better things to do than look after guests.)

The room was very dated including an ancient tv and the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. The only thing that it had going for it was the fact that it was very clean. Great job cleaning staff! There was even a sliding door out to a parking lot.

At check-in I had asked the front desk boy if the restaurant was still serving food because I was starving. He said yes. I literally jogged to my room to drop off my luggage and jogged back to the bar. Upon arrival at the bar (10 minutes later - that's how far away the room was) I was told by the servers that they stopped serving food already. Thanks for the lies front desk boy. Eventually I persuaded the staff to ask the kitchen if there was anything they could do for me (after they tried to offer me some pretzels). Finally the cook came out and (bless him) said he could make me a salad. Excellent. The salad was fine and did the trick. Thank you cook.

I'm sure you can find a number of better hotels at the same or better prices that will live up to your reasonable expectations. This one did not.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

For many years I have stayed at the Holiday Inn, Kitchener when attending recurring business functions in this hotel. Unfortunately, I have noticed much deterioration in amenities and service during some more recent stays, including my last stay at the end of October 2010. I always stay in a tower room. The room is clean and acceptably appointed, although the window does not open and the a/c is somewhat noisy, even when left only on vent/fan, as was needed during this "shoulder season".

What rankled me most about this most recent stay was the lack of delivery of a morning newspaper to the room. Every other hotel that I stay at, including other Holiday Inns, provide a complimentary morning newspaper at ones room door. I enjoy a few quiet minutes early in the morning, with the (usually tolerable--but, hey, its hot!) in-room coffee and my newspaper. Yet, at this last stay, by 6:40 a.m., there was no paper. I phoned the desk and asked about it, and was told they do not offer that anymore. Fine, but could someone bring a paper up to me now? Get this: I was told "no", everyone was too busy and it could only be done after 7:00 a.m. (by then I am out of the shower and heading for breakfast). When I remarked upon the so-called Holiday Inn "hospitality promise" to offer satisfaction, well, that got me nowhere. Ultimately a paper was dropped at my room, too late for me to read it. The next day, due to my makiing a fuss, I got one--but one should not have to make a fuss to get something so basic, which most hotels, at least those of this class and higher, automatically provide.

Dining room: whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner, there is very, very slow service. On the stay prior to this it took about 45 minutes to get a club sandwich and fries; this stay, it took over 30 minutes to get the "best for breakfast" bacon and eggs, and a work colleague also waited a long time for oatmeal--really, half an hour for porridge! There were not that many people eating breakfast that morning, but the two waitresses clearly were untrained and clueless. Once the meal arrived it was fine, but ketchup was not brought, milk for porridge was forgotten, etc., etc. How many times does one have to tell a server to do her job? I am not paid to train their staff.

Happily, there are two nice eateries close by: Milton's across the parking lot is good, cheap and cheerful, and the fancy steak house across the road at the Ramada offers quality and value, albeit for a price (one gets what one pays for, which is fair to me).

For regular (Priority club) guests the hotel used to have a Wednesday night wine and snack reception--for those of us on the road it was a nice break from routine and allowed some socializing in a controlled (safe) environment. Alas, some time ago this was done away with and one only gets drink coupons on Wednesdays, so the comaraderie with fellow travelers that used to be gained is no longer available.

Overall, this hotel cries out for a swat team from senior management to stop the coasting, whip everyone back into shape, and to restore some lost amenities. At present ,while I stay there for business reasons, I can not recommend it .

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Kitchener? Share your experiences!